Recent Crop of Auto Mags Ignore Our Vipers...Again

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get all the car mags. The latest issues of Road and Track and Car and Driver test "Horsepower Wars" cars such as the ZR-1, Porsche GT2, Aston Martin DBS, Nissan Fugly, etc. No mention of the Viper and no test car. I'd sure like to see an 08 Viper in the mix to see how they stand up to the competition. What gives? Why do the mags ignore our beloved Vipers?

Flash

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought someone here said there would be reviews of the ZR1 vs. ACR out by now. Maybe the mags did the ZR1 vs ACR head-on tests and when the ZR1 got trashed by the ACR they pulled the articles? :dunno:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me in the least. What sold me on the Viper more than 10 years ago was a 488 cid engine. Nothing any journalist could ever write would have ever persuaded my either way. Never did, never will.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think they're trying to not legitimize the Viper. They're trying hard to make it irrelevant.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am OK with no articled on the Viper.

All they do is bash it anyways and say it is below whatever it is they are testing it against, even if they are comparing it to a Yugo.:(

Robert

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am in the motorcycle business and its the same **** there too. friggin Honda always gets the publicity, simply because of their advertising budget. KTM had a head design on their motorcross bikes for years and the mags-rags never acknowledged it and when Honda does it, its a new revolation.
same thing applies for dodge, they never get their due credit with the Viper or the challenger.
i have been in magazines before and done performance shootouts, and my competitors bike blew up, and yet it was never mentioned, since he was a long time advertiser..

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree...who cares what they write and don't write. It's all about who pays for their advertisement. However I do think they believe the Viper is soon history so why write about it.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am in the motorcycle business and its the same **** there too. friggin Honda always gets the publicity, simply because of their advertising budget. KTM had a head design on their motorcross bikes for years and the mags-rags never acknowledged it and when Honda does it, its a new revolation.
same thing applies for dodge, they never get their due credit with the Viper or the challenger.
i have been in magazines before and done performance shootouts, and my competitors bike blew up, and yet it was never mentioned, since he was a long time advertiser..
X-Man, KTM motocross bikes have never been truly competitive with Hondas. I met Grant Langston at Bithlo on a private practice day and had a long conversation with him. He said no matter how he tried, KTM would never listen to him that they needed a linkage suspension. He said that they were very stubborn and difficult. I agree that the mag evaluations are to be taken with a grain of salt but KTM is more successful with their enduros. Their motocross bikes pretty much handle like hell.
The magazines have never seemed to understand what makes a Viper so special and it is almost as if they refuse to open their eyes. However, one of the greatest appeals of the Viper is the fact that we know something that most of the world doesn't. It's our secret how outrageously perfect this car is.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea , most people think the viper is soon history, the vette guys at work ask me why i bought mine when i'm not going to be able to get parts for it in the near future

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea , most people think the viper is soon history, the vette guys at work ask me why i bought mine when i'm not going to be able to get parts for it in the near future

Just tell them that unlike their Chevy's, your new car won't be needing parts in the near future. :rolaugh:

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X-Man, KTM motocross bikes have never been truly competitive with Hondas. I met Grant Langston at Bithlo on a private practice day and had a long conversation with him. He said no matter how he tried, KTM would never listen to him that they needed a linkage suspension. He said that they were very stubborn and difficult. I agree that the mag evaluations are to be taken with a grain of salt but KTM is more successful with their enduros. Their motocross bikes pretty much handle like hell.
The magazines have never seemed to understand what makes a Viper so special and it is almost as if they refuse to open their eyes. However, one of the greatest appeals of the Viper is the fact that we know something that most of the world doesn't. It's our secret how outrageously perfect this car is.
well alexman, i was a factory race engineer for Yamaha, so i know a thing or two about factory level race bikes.

regardless, what Langston might have said, you cant deny KTM many world championships in motogp motocross, and we all know KTM dominates off road on both sides of the pond. how many motocross titles has Honda had in just the past few years? granted here in the states, they-KTM dont throw the funding at it that the japanese do, but they dont need to. they oversell everybike brought into the states.
in fact, in dirtbike sales, KTM is beating all but Honda-so i guess they dont handle like hell??;)
if what you say is true,which isnt- how come they dominate the Vet MX classes and the youth classes at loretta lynns? these are people that BUY their own bikes, so they must pick the best way to spend their money-on a KTM
Ironic enough a KTM i built pulled the holeshot against every factory bike at Glenn Helen, and was picked by Dirt Bike magazine as the best dirt bike they has ever rode...huh, a KTM.
considering that offroad racers-ie David Knight, Salumen, to name a few have to go over more successive bumps, and whoops than the gnarliest mx track, all with a linkless suspension-more than nullifies your statement
also, KTM atv's have been picked by every magazine as having the best suspension-and its linkless too.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper's not gone ... tell the vette guys "Sorry, you're still losers". I'm not sure if Dodge is ever going to let vette win?

GM has the biggest financial problems of all three, why would Dodge go under? They don't lose as much money as GM so the vette is more likely to disappear and there were rumors vettes were going to stop production and the ZR1 is still lucky that it's being built at a slower rate.

The problem with the magazines - the way I see it anyway - is that Dodge doesn't hand out Vipers to everyone that wants a test drive. Unlike the Vettes, Porsches, and Mercedes the Viper doesn't have nannies for beginners and bad drivers. I'm sure everyone has heard of amny Vipers wrecked by idiots? Maybe Dodge is tired or running out of free 100K cars to be wrecked? Perhaps they should build just a couple nanny cars for mag writers and other incomptant drivers???

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We could just imagine the old ones. "The Viper was the fastest and nothing came close to it's 5 sec. lead per lap." and then "The Viper came in last because it has no nannies or cupholders."

That cover it?

Ted

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I'd like to see, is an article in any auto mag (not Viper Mag) about a highly modified Viper (performance, interior, exterior), a road test with the OWNER as they know the car the best, and an interview with the owner: when bought, why bought, what made them buy, public responses, why they made whichever mods, etc. That would definitely look good for the Viper, Viper Nation, and perhaps they may sell one or two more.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A car magazine is about as honest and truthful as asking a car salesman which brand you should buy. They are all simply there to make money, translation.......he who spends the most in advertising dollars wins. The only magazine I've read recently that's actually a good enthusiats publication is "0-60", we'll see how long before they sell out.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good magazine that is no longer was Modified Luxury and Exotics. The magazines last publication had the AZR vs the Z06 Clubsport where the Z06 was mauled by the ACR :2tu:

Last edited:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Speed channel tonight, Super cars Exposed, Tanner Foust ran an Aston Vantage against a full race 500hp Subaru STI and lost, then came back to race with a 08 Viper coupe and was heads up untill he spun and lost again but not by much
Claude

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This article was done by a private owner. I also own a GT and I'm waiting for my ACR to arrive but have owned six Viper's and he did a great job with his desciptions, right on IMO. Why can't the so called professional writers do this? Sorry guys I was not able to upload the thread but go to The Ford GT Forum - Powered by vBulletin and type in the search bar "owner review ford gt vs. acr" and see what a great job this guy did.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get all the car mags. The latest issues of Road and Track and Car and Driver test "Horsepower Wars" cars such as the ZR-1, Porsche GT2, Aston Martin DBS, Nissan Fugly, etc. No mention of the Viper and no test car. I'd sure like to see an 08 Viper in the mix to see how they stand up to the competition. What gives? Why do the mags ignore our beloved Vipers?

Flash
A good friend of mine (Evan Smith )is a the editor of Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford of the McMullen Argus Group (Super Chevy ,GM Hi Tech ,Mopar Perf ect)That being said procuring cars from manufacturers is not as easy as you think.A mag may ASK for a Viper from Dodge ,a 430 from Ferrari, or a GT from Ford ECT and simply be turned down or one may not be available to fit into the roadtests time slot .If a private party or dealer is not available to donate a personal car the mags hands are tied -and the model is not included in the test.(Just because a Viper was not included in a particular road test does not mean the mags IGNORE our cars.As a matter of fact if it was up to the mags EVERY SUPERCAR they can get their hands on would be in there to test because model variety actually helps them sell more copys ect )

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Flash

HUH? I get all the same mags and more and....there seems to have been a LOT of positive Viper coverage in a LOT of mags in the last 12 months.
Including ( but not limited to) Feb 09 R&T, Dec 08 Motor Trend, Nov 08 Car and Driver, Sept 08 R&T, Oct 08 Motor Trend, Feb 08 Car and Driver.....

That's pretty good for a very low production vehicle ? :dunno:
I think they have also been pretty fair in evaluations .

Dodge and Hen have not really done anything new for 6 months, so I doubt the mags will continue the Viper articles....
...besides....it has been established for some time that the the Viper kicks butt in every comparo test:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You'd still think that they'd prefer to review the "World's Fastest" as compared to the really low quantity of Porsches and Ferraris? At least I would. #1 coverage for the fastest and least exotic, then coverage of all the other millions of cars in the world.

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'd still think that they'd prefer to review the "World's Fastest" as compared to the really low quantity of Porsches and Ferraris? At least I would. #1 coverage for the fastest and least exotic, then coverage of all the other millions of cars in the world.

Ted
The mags PREFER to test ALL SUPERCARS that does not mean that they are going to get one from the THE CAR COMPANYS when they ask (esp to fit their roadtest time slot which is MONTHS before it hits the newsstand )Years ago for example Chevy provided Smith with new Z06 (GM High Tech ).Smith tried to procure a Viper from Dodge (out to another publication )and was turned down so he called me for a private party one (i got EX Vca Nat Pres Joe Houss donate his new Gen 2 for the day )

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mags PREFER to test ALL SUPERCARS that does not mean that they are going to get one from the THE CAR COMPANYS when they ask (esp to fit their roadtest time slot which is MONTHS before it hits the newsstand )Years ago for example Chevy provided Smith with new Z06 (GM High Tech ).Smith tried to procure a Viper from Dodge (out to another publication )and was turned down so he called me for a private party one (i got EX Vca Nat Pres Joe Houss donate his new Gen 2 for the day )

Was'nt that back in '01 or '02. If I remember right, it was a Saphire car right? Hot day, iceing down the intakes between rounds. Viper ran 11 something and Vette was in the twelves. That article left a permanent impression on me. I saved that issue for years, and looked for it recently but could'nt find it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At VOI X one of the SRT guys was telling me that Dodge has had some spectacular Viper smash ups because of "testers" and that they'd be cutting back on lending those cars out for Demolition derby.

I guess many magazine writes actaully shouldn't be allowed a real car like a viper since so many get crashed. I'm assuming that's why the ZR1 doesn't get tested very often either?

I'd never let anyone drive my car.

Ted

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would still like to see our Vipers head to head in these latest articles. I think it would make great reading!

Flash

I agree...nothing like owning a car that costs more than a Vette and then get trashed. I'd like to see some truth in print rather than the jealousy. If it wasn't for the Viper I wouldn't own a HP car.. Thought the Vettes sucked from day one and will never own one, so why when you see performance numbers they leave us out?:confused: