Some idiot tailgaiting me

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some idiot driving a SUV was tailgating me on a 2 lane road. I was doing the speed limit, and he was riding my bumper for a good mile or two. :chair:

So we stop at a red light, and when it turned green I let the clutch slip at about 3K RPMs just for a second. Long enough to throw little pieces of rubber up on his hood, as my rear end started to swing sideways. He didnt tailgate me anymore. :pbt: MAN I LOVE THIS VIPER !!!!!!!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh.. you know we are all guilty of doing that..

Typical though.. whether a Viper, Corvette or whatever sports car.. you'll occasionally attract an aggressive loser ******* on your tail..

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some idiot driving a SUV was tailgating me on a 2 lane road. I was doing the speed limit, and he was riding my bumper for a good mile or two. :chair:

So we stop at a red light, and when it turned green I let the clutch slip at about 3K RPMs just for a second. Long enough to throw little pieces of rubber up on his hood, as my rear end started to swing sideways. He didnt tailgate me anymore. :pbt: MAN I LOVE THIS VIPER !!!!!!!

This happens to me quite often here in Bend. Civic, Subarus, SUVs, etc. Every once and a while, I will push it to get away but since my car is so loud, I am afraid of getting pulled over. What gives?? :dunno:

There was one time a friend was screwing with me in his hooked up Evo MR. I punched it and he kept up with me. I was pretty impressed. I think he was running in the mid 400's with that car and with AWD, that car was stupid fast. My car is not stock, but also not supercharged/turbo'd. Funny, I drove that car and when the turbo kicked, it actually scared me. Felt like I went from a civic to a viper in less than a second. :lmao:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most tailgaters are not worth the $50 worth of rubber you just wasted. I like to tap the brakes just enough for the light to come on followed by a WOT bump to get a gap. $1.00 in petrol = project cost.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny post... I wish I could drive that slow... :headbang:

Current speed limits are designed around 1950s sedans and local coffers... Oh yeah, and "safety".

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny post... I wish I could drive that slow... :headbang:

Current speed limits are designed around 1950s sedans and local coffers... Oh yeah, and "safety".

I was explaining to one of the local cops that my viper will stop in less than 100' from 60mph even though the Gov rules and reg. state that a stopping distance of under 250' is necessary for each car on the road. The cop's pickup can stop (on a perfect day) in about 160' from 60mph.

Safe? The Viper has to be the safest car on the road. I headon'd a loaded at 60mph and never got a bruise because I was in a Viper. That's SAFE.

Vipers should be allowed a 'special' speedlimit, or at the least the cops should be informed that the Viper is one of the safest cars on the road at highspeeds. Police should also be informed that MINIVANS are heavy, have a high center of gravity and mediocre tires and brakes. NOT SAFE for speeding. Hondas and other POS economy cars are not safe as they have little brakes and little tires and don't stop very well.

Speeds higher than 60mph take horrendous distances to stop in anything other than a Viper. If I was being chased by a cop (in any vehicle) and we both hit the brakes from 100mph the police car should smash into the rear of my Viper because they can't stop worth sh-t compared to a Viper.

Almost every car following a Viper needs a LOT more room to stop than a Viper does, but none of the idiots know this? They actually think that a Viper only goes fast and they never even cared that a Viper stops incredibly quick, expecially if it has upgraded brakes like mine.

Pass the word and educate the police that 'not all speeders are equal'.

Ted

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem...richard heads that I'm following and won't get out of the left lane...so what do they do after a few miles...they start drifing onto the shoulder to kick up gravel and other objects into the path I'm on. Most of the time its pickup trucks being the biggest offenders.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just slow to a stop and force them around you simple. Its really nice when its dark and they do this because i can light them up with my HID fogs that make the road signs glow.

On a multi lane road you can always run them off the road. I prefer this tactic since most think you aren't willing to put your precious car into any danger. I have perfected a technique that works well for this when people are pacing you and won’t leave. Simply place your right hand on the bottom of the wheel with a firm grip. Get in a few eye contact nods so that they are looking at you. Then with you left hand fake the swerve into their lane by sliding your hand around the wheel as if you were pulling into their lane while holding the wheel firm with your offhand. You have to sell it with the head fake or it won’t work. Now that they are in the ditch or have backed off you are good. Obviously I only use this on the worst offenders :)

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You all may laugh because you think he's kidding but he's not. When I want to see what my car will do against a stock GTS I'm NOT going to pace Chris and honk the horn 3 times; I'll wind up in a ditch.

Chris is the exact opposite of me; I take all comers because I'm an idiot. "WHAT!? THAT 3/4 TON DUALLY WANTS A PIECE!? LET'S DO THIS!!!" It's this attitude that has earned me the nickname "Win Diesel" among a few peers.

just slow to a stop and force them around you simple. Its really nice when its dark and they do this because i can light them up with my HID fogs that make the road signs glow.

On a multi lane road you can always run them off the road. I prefer this tactic since most think you aren't willing to put your precious car into any danger. I have perfected a technique that works well for this when people are pacing you and won’t leave. Simply place your right hand on the bottom of the wheel with a firm grip. Get in a few eye contact nods so that they are looking at you. Then with you left hand fake the swerve into their lane by sliding your hand around the wheel as if you were pulling into their lane while holding the wheel firm with your offhand. You have to sell it with the head fake or it won’t work. Now that they are in the ditch or have backed off you are good. Obviously I only use this on the worst offenders :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I seldom brake-check a tailgating slob.....the risk is too high, and cops frown on it. But I get the same result with just my 4-way Hazard-Flashers: Just bump that button a few blinks, and they usually drop right back.

If they dont, I then give em a dose of my Pace Car Strobes! That makes em think a LOT, and one punk even braked hard and did a U-TURN!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WELL DONE !!!!!!!!!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a handful of pennies, starbucks coffee or a bottle of soda tossed out a window always does a good job.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a handful of pennies, starbucks coffee or a bottle of soda tossed out a window always does a good job.

Nothing says "money to burn" like a $5 cup of joe on windshield :D

Another deterrent I've discovered that takes a LITTLE more forethought is a giant, tattoo-clad arm attached to a one-fingered salute. A few of us were driving to a show a few weeks a ago and a 6-series thought he was cool and start weaving in and out of traffic trying to egg us on. He eventually settles in front of me and lets his windshield wiper jets fly. My car hadn't be detailed yet so I didn't care (it's just water/****, right?) but Justin (triblk6spd) wasn't very happy. His car looks evil enough as-is, but when the window rolls down and a 6'3" dude covered in tattoos give you the finger...you run home to mommy. Bye-bye, Bimmer.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never had any issues with tailgaters - they can't seem to keep up. Seriously, if someone is foolish enough to catch up to me I slow a little until they pass. I normally speed (just a little) and anyone that speeds a lot I prefer to have in front of me to catch any Police speeding tickets that otherwise would have been given to me (?).

I normally travel slightly faster than the prevailing traffic and that makes me always following, passing or going slightly faster than all the other traffic. Here in BC they've raised Gov. Insurance premiums and fuel prices so that we have little traffic on our highways. Our entire province has less population that most of the US cities so 'real' traffic is only an issue in Vancouver - where it's a big joke.

Ted

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've found M&M's (regular, not peanut) to be best. No actually damage but the chocolate looks pretty awful when "troweled" around by windshield wipers.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...or perhaps a few spray nozzles cleverly installed/hidden under the rear bumper, activated by a switch in the cockpit, aimed upward that sprays pine-sap-tar on to the tailgaters' front half of car including the windshield...I'm just sayin'. Leave 'em upset but with a fresh pine scent. :smirk:

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...or perhaps a few spray nozzles cleverly installed/hidden under the rear bumper, activated by a switch in the cockpit, aimed upward that sprays pine-sap-tar on to the tailgaters' front half of car including the windshield...I'm just sayin'. Leave 'em upset but with a fresh pine scent. :smirk:

You guys are a bunch of Pansies- GO BIG!!!
:smokin:
Exhaust flamethrower installation instructions
FLAME THROWERS
Flame Kitz :: Flaming Exhaust Kits
[media]http://www.flamekitz.com/wrappers/gallery/fullsize/0025.jpg[/media]
Of course, thats the Honda version
The Viper Kit shoots flames out to 50 feet (with some minor modifications).

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I were discussing this very topic this past weekend. I mentioned that I have noticed I get tailgated far more often in the Viper than anything else I drive. It is usually younger people, 20's to 30's. Because of the "2 ton weapon" theory, I usually just ignore them. The exception is when I can no longer see ANYTHING on the front of their car, just their eyes, THAT will piss me off. When they are that close, lighting up the tail light always freaks them out.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think this and the "richard heads" comment are the best things I've read on the web all year :D

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the drift ovet the white or yellow like method while applying small amounts of throttle - enough to kick stuff up at them. Usually works.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an older guy probably in his 60s and his wife tailgating me through town in their huge ****** cadillac. I changed lanes a number of times to get him off me, but he kept right on my tail the whole time and I am talking to the point that I thought he was going to hit me if I had to brake. He was making it very clear that he was not happy that I was driving a Viper for some reason.

Speed limit was 35, but as traffic started to clear I slowly accelerated to about 50 just before I reached a sharp right turn to the freeway on-ramp. He of course stayed right on my tail. I threw the Viper into the turn and looked back in time to see him make it about 1/2 way around the corner and then go sailing into the dirt median between the on-ramp and the freeway.

I would have loved to hear the conversation between the man and his wife after that.

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an older guy probably in his 60s and his wife tailgating me through town in their huge ****** cadillac. I changed lanes a number of times to get him off me, but he kept right on my tail the whole time and I am talking to the point that I thought he was going to hit me if I had to brake. He was making it very clear that he was not happy that I was driving a Viper for some reason.

Speed limit was 35, but as traffic started to clear I slowly accelerated to about 50 just before I reached a sharp right turn to the freeway on-ramp. He of course stayed right on my tail. I threw the Viper into the turn and looked back in time to see him make it about 1/2 way around the corner and then go sailing into the dirt median between the on-ramp and the freeway.

I would have loved to hear the conversation between the man and his wife after that.

Would have loved to have witnessed that!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Install a toggle switch on the dash/console that turns your brake lights on.

If anyone wants a wiring diagram, let me know. :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is not just the most taligated, but also the most passed/cutoffed/"killed" car in the world. Every idiot wants to go home and proclaimed they "beat" a Viper. :rolleyes:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy fix. Just drift towards the outside of the lane a bit. Viper tires throw up a LOT of rocks. It wont take long to ping the front of his vehicle to death. Once he hears rocks bouncing off the front of his car he will back off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave