Track Insurance for VOI12

00VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

I have contacted Steve (ACRSTEVE) regarding adding the HPDE portion of the VOI12 driving events to his website ontrackinsurance.com. He has made contact with the appropriate people and will be adding the event to his website today. I'm sure it is a safe event and the risk of an incident is low but if you are looking for a little extra piece of mind while running your car around the track you may want to consider signing up for this coverage. I know I am!

http://www.ontrackinsurance.com

Mike

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$368 for $60k coverage for the 3 days. Hmmmm. Actually will only be 2 possible days at the track since the other is scenic cruise day.

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I assume that you would need extra insurance if you dont have replacement value on your car????

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume that you would need extra insurance if you dont have replacement value on your car????
Most policy's do not cover incidents that occur on a racing surface. Read up on your policy.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The "track insurance" is just to cover you while you are on the track. It's not supplemental to your regular insurance, it's completely separate. Your regular insurance will not cover anything that happens on a track. Your standard policy used to cover you on a track as long as it was "not a competition, not a timed event, considered high performance driving education, etc". Pretty much every policy now states they will not cover anything "that happens on what could be deemed a racing surface", or some wording like that. Even if your main policy does not specify this, make sure to check new or additional riders put out for your policy. I haven't seen or heard of any that don't close the old track day loophole that used to exist.

If you're not going to push it at all, you probably don't need track insurance. Personally, I cannot go out a track and just tool around. I'm not enjoying myself if I'm not pushing myself to get better. Hence, I get track insurance for track weekends when I take the Viper. $350 isn't cheap for a couple of days coverage (and the deductable is very high), but if you meet a wall at high speed, suddenly $350 is a LOT better than having a $60k crumpled mess. Just my $.02.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the post everyone, just to chime in about track insurance in general.

Track insurance was formed to fill the gap that participants of drivingschools/club events have on their own street insurance policies. 99.9% of the standard car insurance policies exclude track activities including driving schools and club events. (Most now say any track activity including driving schools)

Track insurance offers in most cases better coverage then your own car insurance policy would provide even if the did cover you.

1) Agreed value on yourvehicle- No depreciation on a total and you decide value that we are insuringyour car for.( Most standard carriers use book value and then depreciate of that- not good for our Vipers) *check with the track insurance provider somesay Agreed Value but are only Stated Value there is a big difference
2) Check to make sure you are getting a Fully admitted “A” rated insurance Company
3) Towing and carrental included- can be a long way home from the track if something happens
4) If there is anaccident it will not impact your own personal standard auto policy rates.
5) Your vehicle covered regardless of fault
6) Instructor automatically included, second driver can be added at no cost
7) Easy online applicationand ability to pay with credit card online

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The track insurance offered by OnTrack is a no-brainer. I get it every time I go on the track because I know my insurance company will not cover my Viper on the track regardless of whether it's an instructional event or not. If your insurance policy isn't clearly defined for track-surface usage you're not covered. Get it in writing from your insurance company. Good luck with that. I've seen incidents whereby Vipers are damaged or totaled on the track and their insurance companies don't cover them. For a few hundred dollars, OnTrack covers the full replacement value of my Viper. It's cheap insurance (no pun intended). True, there shouldn't be any danger in a controlled environment at VOI but accidents are just that...accidents. My .02 cents.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

I have contacted Steve (ACRSTEVE) regarding adding the HPDE portion of the VOI12 driving events to his website ontrackinsurance.com. He has made contact with the appropriate people and will be adding the event to his website today. I'm sure it is a safe event and the risk of an incident is low but if you are looking for a little extra piece of mind while running your car around the track you may want to consider signing up for this coverage. I know I am!

http://www.ontrackinsurance.com

Mike

I went to the site and filled out the lengthy application process to get a quote and a message pops up that says "We're sorry, this needs to be reffered to the underwriter". Is insurance available at the event for the track days only? I'm leaving on Sunday so I don't need insurance for that day.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This brings up an interesting point, if your driving cars provided by SRT, are you covered under their policy? Most people, myself included just sign whatever waivers they had me and just jump into the car. I went to the Porsche Roadshow yesterday (lots of fun) and signed the waivers without reading a word.

OP
OP

00VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much coverage did you request? That's the message I for when I accidentally added a zero to the amount. Just get a hold of Steve and he will take care of you.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "track insurance" is just to cover you while you are on the track. It's not supplemental to your regular insurance, it's completely separate. Your regular insurance will not cover anything that happens on a track. Your standard policy used to cover you on a track as long as it was "not a competition, not a timed event, considered high performance driving education, etc". Pretty much every policy now states they will not cover anything "that happens on what could be deemed a racing surface", or some wording like that. Even if your main policy does not specify this, make sure to check new or additional riders put out for your policy. I haven't seen or heard of any that don't close the old track day loophole that used to exist.

If you're not going to push it at all, you probably don't need track insurance. Personally, I cannot go out a track and just tool around. I'm not enjoying myself if I'm not pushing myself to get better. Hence, I get track insurance for track weekends when I take the Viper. $350 isn't cheap for a couple of days coverage (and the deductable is very high), but if you meet a wall at high speed, suddenly $350 is a LOT better than having a $60k crumpled mess. Just my $.02.
And Guys, I Promise you Dawg is speaking from Experience! jmo

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how fast we'll be able to drive on the track? I tried to ask VOI Support, but couldn't get a straight answer. Actually, they said to ask others who have been to VOI, so I'm asking here. Anyone?

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think there will be a speed limit. Only limited by the driver in front of you. If they are slow, you will be too because there isn't any passing allowed.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, just went to the online application and it says coverage only for road course. So no drag strip coverage? I was actually more worried that someone else might come into my lane at the drags more than anything else. Why no coverage?

OP
OP

00VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Track insurance is for HPDE only. It requires a well run, non-timed, instructor in passenger seat type event. At the drag strip you have no instructor, it is timed, and it isn't instructional so you are on your own. BTW, you can't get track insurance for a wheel to wheel, timed road course either.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to have an instructor in the car with you. It just has to be a qualified HPDE event where instruction is offered. You can be in HPDE 1, 2, 3, or 4. TT, racing, etc is not covered.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be wrong (it HAS happened before), but my understanding is that it just has to be an approved HPDE event. Otherwise, only beginners could get it. When I bought it the first time, they just stressed that any racing (including TT) was not covered.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only yellow Vipers require an instructor to be present. :D

Listen here you! :nunu:

:rolaugh:

I could be wrong (it HAS happened before), but my understanding is that it just has to be an approved HPDE event. Otherwise, only beginners could get it. When I bought it the first time, they just stressed that any racing (including TT) was not covered.

Interesting.....excellent to know! :)

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Coverage is available for HPDE 1,2,3 or 4run groups. If you are a beginner you should have an instructor it will reallyhelp your learning curves. Once you are signed off by a qualified sanctioningbody to solo no instructor will be necessary for the policy. The only time we can’tcover an HPDE driver would be if they were being timed by sanctioning body -(transponders)

As stated very well above- The drag strip and autocross cannot be coveredbecause they are timed / competition speed events. The VOI Road Course would be the only part of the event we can cover

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can somebody please set me straight on this?
I understand track insurance for individuals going on the weekends to do their own thing but this is a vca sanctioned event, right?
I thought that all vca sanctioned events include coverage for members. I read that in all the fine print back when I joined.
Isn't this topic redundency at this point? :dunno:
Mike

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know of another insurance policy that will cover our cars for the entire weekend? I don't see the point of paying for supplemental insurance if it is only going to cover 1 of the 3 events.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss