warped exhaust manifold

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone had experience having oem exhaust manifold machined flat? On some internet sites people recommend not to do it as it will lead to cracking later. The manifold is out about 1/8 inch out. Have headers on now but going back to original exhaust for smog reasons.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i mill them all the time, if it breaks,you have nothing to loose- iv never had one break

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have found that if you bolt up the manifold and torque it down slowly the flange with conform back to it's original shape. If your smog issue is with the visual inspection then the manifolds will correct that. If its an emissions failure (CO, HC or NOX) then you have another issue.

OP
OP
W

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies going back to oem manifold, and original cat and muffler for smog

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the "visual inspection" thing...
A. There is a heat shield blocking view of the headers
B. Even if they see it, How would they know the diff between and aftermarket header vs the tubular header that came on the later Gen2's?

OP
OP
W

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dom426h going back to stock to pass smog, true if heat shields are on cant see headers likewise with exhaust shields on cant see mufflers or if cat is installed, in CA. not required to take any parts off car for smog inspection but if smog tech is able to see any of the required emission parts they must have an EO number approved by the state.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People deck manifold flanges all the time... I got use to it in the TR world. Still, 1/8" out is a lot. What is the total flange thickness?