What Does He Do For A Living???

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Over heard my neighbors this morning doing there normal walking, and what astounded me was the fact that they were asking themselves " what does he do for a living?" as they were looking at the rt/10.I hate nosey neighbors time to move.:mad: I say you only live once and enjoy the short time you have on this earth!!!:2tu:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to move because your neighbors are curious to themselves about what you do that you can afford one of America's most expensive sports cars?

When I hear that kind of stuff, I just smirk and thank God for my blessings and that my decisions and hard work have paid off. I guess everyone interprets these things differently.

OP
OP
J

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You want to move because your neighbors are curious to themselves about what you do that you can afford one of America's most expensive sports cars?

When I hear that kind of stuff, I just smirk and thank God for my blessings and that my decisions and hard work have paid off. I guess everyone interprets these things differently.
Yeah , I guess that's a good way to look at it.:D

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over heard my neighbors this morning doing there normal walking, and what astounded me was the fact that they were asking themselves " what does he do for a living?" as they were looking at the rt/10.I hate nosey neighbors time to move.:mad: I say you only live once and enjoy the short time you have on this earth!!!:2tu:

I get it to. The Viper draws it, big time.... The funny thing is, I paid less for the Viper. Than I did for my daily driver, which is an E55 Mercedes..

In reality the Viper looks much more rich, than the actual dollars it takes to buy one.. $50k will get you a pretty NICE GenII viper. But won't even buy you a brand new Suburban(loaded of course).. However, you can park an RT/10 next to a $200k+ Ferrari F430, and get nearly the same jaw dropping response.. I Love it!!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see anything nosey about it really. Sometimes people are curious because they want some insight as to how they could better themselves with a new career or something.

Besides, the GenI&II isn't so unattainable these days. My response has always been "never married, no kids." They seem to understand after that.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont mind being asked "what do you do?" What irks me is "what did you pay for it?" I almost always answer "enough". If the person seems to be asking because he may be in the market for a Viper, or at least know Viper and wants to see how the market is doing, I'll answer them truthfully.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least your neighbors asked. It was more than a full year before anyone actually bothered to ask me what I do for a living. Everyone just speculated.

In the garage are my supercharged Viper GTS, supercharged SRT-6 roadster, supercharged Mustang Cobra race car, and my CBR954rr motorcycle. My Lincoln Navigator sits on the driveway.

On any given day, one or more of my buddies would be over, driving a Porsche 997S or a C6 Z06 or Cayenne Turbo, etc, with their car sitting on the circle drive. Add various girls coming and going and you can imagine the rumors that were flying.

Unfortunately, my real life is not nearly as exciting as what everyone thought. Just a single guy with no kids who works his tail off and has some successful friends. But for at least a year, I was larger than life! :)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take that as a compliment.

When ever one of my neighbors brings home a cool ride, I usually check it out also.

When someone asks what it costs, I usually ask him what he thinks it costs. This usually results in a very pleasant conversation.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your yellow...with stripes...in the rain...

I don't think anyone CAN'T notice your car...

You must be registered for see images attach

--RS

V

Venomiss

Be happy you have neighbors that like your car! What you might consider nosey may someday come in handy-like a neighborhood watch. Even if they are neighbors that aren't your "style" keep them as a nice "hello" relationship.

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors. Viper Garages Make Good Parties.:D

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it always ammuses me how the general public thinks that all vipers are million dollar cars, and therefore, we must all be filthy rich.

used vipers can be bought for $30,000 on up. people drop that kind of money on new cars everyday! forget the expensive-looking cars like the BMW's or Mercedes, what does a new trailblazer cost? or how about a nicely-loaded new charger or magnum?

next time someone asks how much you paid for your viper, tell them $1 million dollars. they will probably believe you.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take that as a compliment.
When ever one of my neighbors brings home a cool ride, I usually check it out also.
When someone asks what it costs, I usually ask him what he thinks it costs. This usually results in a very pleasant conversation.

As you said, that's what we do as well...we just plain-ole love CARS...doesn't matter what it is, we check out all the cool rides around too. And, yes, you DO get those 'rude' questions about 'what does a car like that cost?'....and we do the same....either say, what do YOU think it costs? Or we just laugh and say 'enough to still have to work 365 days a year'!! (which is true).....mostly people just LOVE LOVE LOVE the Viper and we just appreciate that and have fun, we don't take anything personally nor get upset or mad over what anyone says or does...we even met one guy at a car show who blatantly said "I don't like Vipers"....well all fine and dandy....guess we don't have to keep talking!! Our choice--walk away smiling! :D As you all, we worked very hard to be able to have our 'dream car'...and still work hard...yes, lots of people don't see that or appreciate it, but as long as we do, all's right with the world!! :2tu: ~juli~

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually this is my favorite question in the whole World. When they ask what I do, I just mention, " I sell these beautiful handbuilt machines , are you interested in getting one?"

:drive:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
used vipers can be bought for $30,000 on up. people drop that kind of money on new cars everyday! forget the expensive-looking cars like the BMW's or Mercedes, what does a new trailblazer cost? or how about a nicely-loaded new charger or magnum?

Not to be off topic but say I find a nicely used Gen I RT/10 for $30k from a dealership like Buhler or Tators (Unless Bill and woodhouse ships cars for free that be awesome:D ), is there a payment option for a used car or do I have to pay straight in full?

I don't have a job at the moment I was let go being there were to many employees for the pay roll.:( If my aunt didn't find that stupid Ford ****** in my driveway my parents were considering getting me a Charger or a Magnum.

Will I keep the ******? Maybe, I want to. It get's good gas mileage plus I have K&N's on it. But the thought of paying insurance for a viper can't be any different than having two of my car.

So what do I do?
I don't have to worry about college that's pretty much covered since I got a scholarship.:2tu:

Keep the ****** and get a Viper as a weekender but pay triple the insurance. (I think)

OR

Sell the ******, get a Viper and use it as a daily driver (EEK!)

As much as I would like to have a Challenger, I got a feeling dealer mark-up is going to play a big factor the first year of production and I can imagine alot of orders are in play to be one of the firsts.

--RS

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, it doesnt sound like your financially ready for a Viper yet. Get a GOOD job 1st and get some senority built up, so you'll at least have some job security before dropping $30k+ on a Gen 1. I think you're really young (under 18?), so you have PLENTY of time to achieve a lot more in your life and be better prepared to own a Viper :thumbs:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as you already know viper GTS-R, this doesnt sound like the right time to be considering purchasing a viper.

IMO, the purchase is the EASY part. it is the maintenance and upkeep that is difficult esp if you dont do the work yourself. headlights are $500. starters are around $350. if you are buying a $30,000 car, you are going to get what you pay for, so, you might need tires too - around $1500 shipped for a set. insurance isnt too bad. new clutch will run around $2,000.

dont EVEN ask me about the modding costs. :omg:

not trying to scare you, just being realistic. something to think about.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually tell them (with a very straight face) that I am a janitor at the high school! The expressions on their faces is very comical.:rolaugh:

Reaction score
Two times I'm asked that question...when I'm on my boat or when I'm in the Viper. Both times, I just smile and say.. "My daddy taught me to work smart and play hard". It's not the occupation, its what you do with the money from it. I love that my neighbors gawk everytime I bring her out of the garage (even more than my neighbors Carrera GT). IMHO, having neighbors notice your stuff can keep your (^*%^% safe from "prying" eyes.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get asked the "what do you do?" question and "how much did you pay for it?" questions all the time and I simply state the industry where I work and tell them "I became the best at what I do and my employer recognized that accomplishment and pays me accordingly" as for price, I usually tell them the truth "I got a deal I couldn't turn down and I wouldn't sell this car for even $20k over what it's value is. I also encourage the teenagers or kids to get a good education and find a job they'll love to go to everyday, that way their success will be much easier to achieve. I also tell them don't waste money, get value for what you spend and you'll have two Vipers some day soon!!

Usually the next day I'll see the same kids figuring out how to make money by cutting lawns, etc. so I figure it does make a difference what we say, as many people assume we are "very successful" by owning such a rare car. I can't fault their logic.

Regards,
Aaron

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When people ask me what I do....I just tell them......"*** ****....and lots of it!!" I don't usually get asked anymore questions after that....

What???!!!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answering the question "how much did it cost" I usually say: "I had a choice between a new 3-series BMW and this and figured this'd be more fun". Its not only true but generally gets people thinking about how approachable these great cars are.

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better than what I always get: "What do ya got, a rich daddy?"

But I always use the line: "Yeah, it's a company car" (Keeping in mind Viper's are on the lower end of the price spectrum, with Lambos & Ferraris) It just blows peoples minds when I tell them that after rolling up in a Gallardo.

:D

BOOST ALMIGHTY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also get asked the question all the time, especially being a younger person. I just tell them I blow all my money on TOYS. My Hummer gets the same questions. I have 22" wheels on it and a lot of extra chrome. A lot of people think those things are $100k cars. You should definaly take it as a compliment when people wonder about stuff like that, even though it does get old if people ask all the time. I love the fact that I worked hard enough to pay Cash for a 6k mile Gen 2 Viper, not to mention Supercharger and HRE wheels. HA.

Chris

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't like the "*** ****" line.....or don't have the balls to say it (pun intended)

Tell them that you are an IRS agent that extorts money from nosey neighbors.

Mr. and Mrs Costanza will never bother you again.:D

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I must admit that I love all the attention the Viper draws. At the same time, I get paranoid that someone would try to steal or vandalize it, or try to break into my house because they think I must be rich to be able to own one. I get strangers and neighbors staring and asking all sorts of questions ever since I got the Viper. They dont realize that their loaded Escalade is probably in the same price range.
If anyone trys anything, I'll have them on camera with the surveillance system I just put in. :2tu:
I just pray for GODS protection. If HE allowed me to have it, then HE will allow me to keep it. :D

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper's might be in the same price range as Escalades, and Mercedes, but those are practical every day drivers. Owning a Viper is a luxury, a weekend type driver, and 2nd or 3rd car. It also costs more to maintain. Someone might be able to afford a $50k SUV but that doesn't mean they can afford a $50k Viper.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper's might be in the same price range as Escalades, and Mercedes, but those are practical every day drivers. Owning a Viper is a luxury, a weekend type driver, and 2nd or 3rd car. It also costs more to maintain. Someone might be able to afford a $50k SUV but that doesn't mean they can afford a $50k Viper.
This is a GREAT point. I have a $80k BMW, but have a $40K viper. I can justify the BMW because i drive it all the time. The Viper is driven 3,000 miles a year...Tought for me to justify more..I think nothing of the BMW by the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang