What is the best Shifter for Gen II Vipers?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 99 GTS I had a performance shop put the B&M shifter in which is a very common make and widely used. They had to install it from underneath on a lift of course. It took maybe an hour but I went back to the stock shifter the same day as the aftermarket one made a common "whizzing" noise that I did not like.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is like a limp noodle, the centering spring is super weak. I don't want anything super noisy but want a more precise and shorter throw if possible

I am also going to change the fluid as it does not shift quite as smooth when it gets warm. Im think a fluid change will help that.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is like a limp noodle, the centering spring is super weak. I don't want anything super noisy but want a more precise and shorter throw if possible
I think that I heard that you can get alternative centering springs for the IPSCO one. I had the B&M which is good; but, I wanted more centering action, so, I went to Ace Hardware and got a replacement spring that worked better for me. The B&M is an easier install than the Hurst due to its design. The Hurst shaft can get close enough to touch the ashtray surround in the chassis, depending on the variables in the car. All reports seem to be positive for the IPSCO version, and you get a top notch product backed by an enthusiastic guy who designed and produces them.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't someone making a new gated shifter for the Gen 2's a couple of years ago? I was thinking they were seeing if they was enough demand to start making them over on the alley.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A very biased reply from a notorious street racer from the 70's:

A short throw shifter is cool looking but unless you are very strong, don't expect to powershift the single cone T56. In reality, you pretty much need a crowbar to get the big load on the synchros for a fast shift - if you are a normal human that is. I've had at the same time Vipers with OE and a MGW shifters and let me tell you, it was a Godsend to shift the OE. I gave up even trying to shift the MGW. So I plan to experiment with a modified longer than stock OE shifter.

Don't get me wrong, I was a notorious street racer in the mid-70's and never missed a shift when racing. But those were the days of T10 transmissions. I upgraded to a Ford Toploader with massive gears but still the same synchro size - that transmission was a brute to shift. A T56 with 50% more gear inertia and still basically the same synchros is a frustrating Nightmare From Hell - that's why the LS1 automatics are "faster" than the 6-speeds. It is so bad they could not overlook this situation and developed Double and then Triple cone synchro systems.

But if you are just doing to drive your Viper and enjoy it like a sensible person, there isn't anything to worry about - go for the short throw. But if you are concerned about whooping somone and will be upset if you miss a shift, better rethink all this. NOTE: there is also the problem of accidently downshifting the T56 when you are upshifting quickly. I have never had this misfortune but people have damaged engines doing this but I suspect a short throw shifter may make it more difficult to precisely guide the shift stroke.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The MGW will not fit without modifying the transmission tunnel. The IPSCO works great and has no issues.

lmn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that MGW made a shifter for the GenII, but I don't know if they still do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala