What to do when you lose control of a SRT10?

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have read the "how to keep new viper owners safe" thread and although I think it's great and discusses several things that you must always keep in mind to keep the car under control at all times I'd like to see a thread that focuses on discussing what to do in case you already lost control. What to do when you lose traction, etc. I know the "what to do" would most likely depend on the situation so it'd be great if we hear examples of scenarios and what to do in the specific situation.

I've searched the threads exhaustively and although I found a few interesting posts about this I'd like to hear from people that have had accidents on their vipers describe the situation, what they did and what they think they could have done to improve the situation. Same from people that have had close calls and managed to get the car back in shape before something bad happened. People that have been in high performance/advance driving lessons or have plenty of experience driving their vipers near its limits and have useful knowledge the'd like to share.

If there are generals things like "after you lost traction steer in the direction of the skid and steer in the direction you want to go once you regain traction". I'd like to hear about these as well. I've read that letting go of the gas abruptly or hitting the breaks when you've lost traction will most likely cause the car to spin, it sounds like it would be better to slowly let of the gas and counter steer in the hopes the car will gain traction before hitting something. I've heard that when shifting its best not to get back on the gas until the clutch is fully disengaged otherwise you could be accelerating just a tad too much and when you release the clutch the massive torque will unsettle the car. I hope to hear more things like the above and discuss on whether these are correct or not.

I know this won't be the most entertaining thread ever but I think it could be really useful so please bring it on.

Tony

Last edited:

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every scenario is different, depending on speed and other factors. I'd say, go to a local track event and get an instructor. That little money would go a long way in safety, recovery, and prevention. The best way to correct mistakes is to prevent the loss of control.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its hard to do everything right when you loose control, but practice makes perfect!!:crazy2:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I learned, in racing school, that has stcuk with me in the event that you have already lost control of the car....

"IF YOU SPIN, BOTH FEET IN!"

That is to say, if you are beyond the point of being able to recover a spin, depress the clutch and STAND on the brakes.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every scenario is different, depending on speed and other factors. I'd say, go to a local track event and get an instructor. That little money would go a long way in safety, recovery, and prevention. The best way to correct mistakes is to prevent the loss of control.

I have been a Viper instructor on many of the Southern California tracks, some general rules is brake only in a straight line, if you get on the gas too early you may break traction and you may go into a "death wiggle" that being the rear slides out back and forth between left and right, take you foot off the gas DO NOT BRAKE and counter steer and hope you don't run out of track before you finally come under control. If you get into the dirt don't brake, get off the gas and straighten her out and don't steer onto the track at a steep angle, once you come off the dirt onto the asphalt you can snap hook to the other side of the track onto the dirt the at a far worse angle. And as mentioned if all is lost both feet in hard!

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One thing I learned, in racing school, that has stcuk with me in the event that you have already lost control of the car....

That is to say, if you are beyond the point of being able to recover a spin, depress the clutch and STAND on the brakes.

What if you still at a point where you've lost traction but the car is not spinning yet just leaning sideways? I've heard that in this scenario hitting the breaks will make the car spin in the direction of the tail. Truth or False?

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been a Viper instructor on many of the Southern California tracks, some general rules is brake only in a straight line, if you get on the gas too early you may break traction and you may go into a "death wiggle" that being the rear slides out back and forth between left and right, take you foot off the gas DO NOT BRAKE and counter steer and hope you don't run out of track before you finally come under control. If you get into the dirt don't brake, get off the gas and straighten her out and don't steer onto the track at a steep angle, once you come off the dirt onto the asphalt you can snap hook to the other side of the track onto the dirt the at a far worse angle. And as mentioned if all is lost both feet in hard!

Best one so far! keep them coming.

Reaction score
The only way to not do something abruptly in a Viper when this happens is to be on guard all the time and know what you are going to do when it does happen. Even if you drive on the edge all the time and know what to do it can happen very fast in a Viper so you have to be VERY good at car control to save anything, not just lucky. The massive grip when it lets go is hard to regain unless you are fast and smooth with the inputs, over correcting is the main reason things get bad in a hurry so most people are not going to get this right. The other factor that is the biggest thing is if the tires are not at the optimum temps when this happens it is very hard to regain any control so plan on the both feet in scenario.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The only way to not do something abruptly in a Viper when this happens is to be on guard all the time and know what you are going to do when it does happen. Even if you drive on the edge all the time and know what to do it can happen very fast in a Viper so you have to be VERY good at car control to save anything, not just lucky. The massive grip when it lets go is hard to regain unless you are fast and smooth with the inputs, over correcting is the main reason things get bad in a hurry so most people are not going to get this right. The other factor that is the biggest thing is if the tires are not at the optimum temps when this happens it is very hard to regain any control so plan on the both feet in scenario.

This is going much better than I expected. I thought there would be a few days before hearing something useful seems there are quite a few folks with experience and knowledge to share.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take your hands off the steering wheel, throw your arms and hands up in the air and scream "save me Jesus" and hope for the best. Thats what my wife does when she looses control on the ice...LOL... ... Not kidding either..She does that. It scares the S&*t out of me so I never let her drive anywhere if Im in the car...lol

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take your hands off the steering wheel, throw your arms and hands up in the air and scream "save me Jesus" and hope for the best. Thats what my wife does when she looses control on the ice...LOL... ... Not kidding either..She does that. It scares the S&*t out of me so I never let her drive anywhere if Im in the car...lol

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated many times all scenarios are different. These Beasts have no traction control and for the most part when you lose control it maybe too late to regain but there a few things you can do to prevent this.

1. Run modern tires at the proper inflation and do not run on cold days. When doing any spirited driving make sure the tires have warmed up.
2. Make sure brakes are in proper working order and that the fluid is fresh or changed.
3. DO NOT drive past the limits of your talent or beyond the car.
4. Be aware of your surroundings and have an exit strategy
5. If NEW to Vipers, have some seat time before hitting the Gas and Brakes.

RACE your car on the TRACK, not the street.

or just drive it like me (an old lady) I am still learning about the car.

Bruce

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As stated many times all scenarios are different. These Beasts have no traction control and for the most part when you lose control it maybe too late to regain but there a few things you can do to prevent this.

1. Run modern tires at the proper inflation and do not run on cold days. When doing any spirited driving make sure the tires have warmed up.
Can you drive the car on cold days if you drive very slowly/ are very smooth? The whether here is not very warm. Not driving on cold/rainy days up here would be like being able to drive just a few months each year...
2. Make sure brakes are in proper working order and that the fluid is fresh or changed.
3. DO NOT drive past the limits of your talent or beyond the car.
4. Be aware of your surroundings and have an exit strategy
5. If NEW to Vipers, have some seat time before hitting the Gas and Brakes.

RACE your car on the TRACK, not the street.

or just drive it like me (an old lady) I am still learning about the car.

That's pretty much what I plan to do.

Bruce

This goes more into prevention but still useful.

highsierrahillbilly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fred Flinstone it, if your actually totally out of controll (Foot off gas, both feet through the floor board on the clutch and breaks!) Then call "Wilma"! I recommend an SRT course or equivalent, so you can learn the feeling of being on the edge and how to correct your viper before it's to late. But seriously if totally out of control dump the gas and mash the clutch & modulate the breaks accordingly.

High Sierra Hill Billy

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll pass on an experience to you that proves the 2 feet in theory, I was going about 90-100 mph coming out of a fast sweeper in turn 9 at Willow Springs, I had just put a brand new set of Pilot Cups on the front of a Gen IV ACR but left the old ones on the rear. 2nd lap, a hot lap I came out of #9 like a bat outta hell, got on the gas early to get good speed down the long front straight, the new front tires bit and the rears broke loose and I did a 1040 (3 spins) by getting both feet down quickly I did spin 3 times but never left the track, zero damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll pass on an experience to you that proves the 2 feet in theory, I was going about 90-100 mph coming out of a fast sweeper in turn 9 at Willow Springs, I had just put a brand new set of Pilot Cups on the front of a Gen IV ACR but left the old ones on the rear. 2nd lap, a hot lap I came out of #9 like a bat outta hell, got on the gas early to get good speed down the long front straight, the rear broke loose and I did a 1040 (3 spins) by getting both feet down quickly I did spin 3 times but never left the track, zero damage.

This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping for. Thanks.

happy56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should go do some auto crosses so you can find out where ''the line is'' and you will know what it feels like. Normally wide open so when you loop it no damage done.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can be "told" what to do in every situation, but when it happens there is no way in hell you'll remember and react correctly from reading something.

Like others have said, hit a good driving school and also get on a skidpad.

The other option to at least familiarize yourself with the car is to find an empty parking lot (no medians, parking blocks, etc) and keep pushing yourself and making yourself spin until you get a good feeling for how you and the car react. Just make sure the parking lot is well of the beaten path. Even if it's deserted, cops are sometimes not very amused at you spinning all over the place. :)

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey the saying is as true as ever "seat time, seat time, seat time", it is the only thing that can prepare you for just about anything. On a road race course with enough seat time you experience many situations and those situations good or bad prepare you for the proper reaction. You are in a controlled environment safety gear on and lots of run off in case of mistakes.

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, only two things to say:

1. As others have said "both feet in" except that this sounds easier than it really is. Your tendency is to try to save it even when it is not saveable. This means that by the time you put both feet in, it may be too late unless your reactions are very good. (speaking from experience here). So if you don't get your feet in fast enough the car stalls but still get on the brakes and clutch (so that you can restart the beast that just darn near killed you).

2. You'll hear people say steer into the direction of the skid, I call BS. Most people don't even know what that means. You look where you want to go, your hands will follow your eyes. Learned this at Skip Barber on a skidpad. Induce a skid on a skidpad and then look in some random direction and guess what, that's where the car will end up pointing, uncanny really. Look in the direction you want to go and viola the car ends up pointed that way. Your subconscious mind works a lot faster than your conscious mind. Don't believe me? Go try it on a skid pad and see for yourself. Better on a skidpad than on the road or a track. Afraid of hitting the wall when you spin, don't stare at the damn thing!

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm glad Tony Cool asked this question because I have the same concerns. When I went to the SRT Driving experience, I hoped that I'd get some skid pan experience like past SRT programs did, but my SRT Driving Experience did not do that. Very Disappointed. I definitely need to SAFELY drive the car past the limit to feel the sensation and to see what happens. I need to do this many times to finally become familiar with the car and to hopefully get some experience in saving the car. Also, hopefully, such experience would let me know, by feel, that I'm approaching the limit of control so I could competently back off. I must admit that I drive the car very carefully due to the lack of this knowledge. I'd pay big money to do this in a "rental" program so I didn't have to put such wear and tear on my cars. I know I sound like the wuss that I am, but I'm just being honest---Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4