What's the big deal about large wheel size?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nascar and Indy run on 15's and F1 runs on 13's. Other than making a car look like a match box or cartoon car why bother? Sure you can fit bigger brakes to regain braking power but most don't and then the stock bakes look silly and don't work as well. Surely it can't be just for looks can it? GTS Bruce

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nascar and Indy run on 15's and F1 runs on 13's. Other than making a car look like a match box or cartoon car why bother? Sure you can fit bigger brakes to regain braking power but most don't and then the stock bakes look silly and don't work as well. Surely it can't be just for looks can it? GTS Bruce

This is not going to go well. Cue the bling brigade.

Last edited:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the 2nd worst look for wheels on a car, imo. The worst look is those wheels that stick out like a skateboard. Wow

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in another 35 years we will be back to 15 and 13 inch tires-everything old is new again

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too big is too big, but...

If comparing cornering on a 15 inch wheel and a 20 inch wheel, assuming total tire diameter is equal, the 20 inch wheel will handle much better not allowing the tire to roll over on its sidewall.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I draw the line at 20 inches and that's too big for some cars, particularly the older ones where the fender proportions were not designed for such large wheels.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all personal preference, if we all liked the exact same thing life would be pretty boring. My wife's CTS has 20" foose wheels on because it looks good, it's not a race car so I don't care about braking, handling, or rotating mass...it just plain looks good.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I about puked at that bottom video - What will they come up with next?!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::crazy2::omg:

The bottom video was posted merely for the visual of hitting rock bottom. It in NO WAY was intended to provide any Viper owners with inspiration of adding said wheels to their Viper.

Reaction score
Too big is too big, but...

If comparing cornering on a 15 inch wheel and a 20 inch wheel, assuming total tire diameter is equal, the 20 inch wheel will handle much better not allowing the tire to roll over on its sidewall.

Not true, the stiffer sidewalls will increase the abruptness of break away and make the handling far less predictable. The overall grip is better with a little flex allowing the tire to take a set and be predictable. When a car has a stiff suspension the tire is part of the overall spring rate so having some gives helps. The shorter sidewalls might give the illusion of better handling because it is more responsive, but actual usable grip is less in my experience.

Also when you have a bigger "heavier" wheel that will never improve handling. 18's are the norm for brake clearance, but smaller is better for all instances if they fit.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have obviously never autocrossed a car. That is a good example of tire roll and handling. Good luck with those tall sidewalls.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can vouge for Mark. He is a great autocross driver and has tried multiple rim and tire combinations.

Bruce

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like 19" wheels, after that they just get too big and stupid.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom video was posted merely for the visual of hitting rock bottom. It in NO WAY was intended to provide any Viper owners with inspiration of adding said wheels to their Viper.
I WANT IT!!!!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many times have you heard somebody say I'd rather be lucky than good anyday (I've never understood that, I'd rather be good than lucky) BUT I don't care how good anybody is, you've GOT to have some Luck! JMO

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isn't the Gen V slated to hit show rooms on 19/20's.

When you're adding weight to the argument, a forged 3 piece 20 will come in lighter than the cast 19 inch stockers.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Isn't the Gen V slated to hit show rooms on 19/20's.

When you're adding weight to the argument, a forged 3 piece 20 will come in lighter than the cast 19 inch stockers.

There ya go making sense again. Stop it.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just want to get some monoblocs on the car to really get the weight down;)

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont feel too bad "bling'n" has caught up with the Vette crowd as well...

You must be registered for see images attach

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont feel too bad "bling'n" has caught up with the Vette crowd as well...

You must be registered for see images attach

I won't ever understand it... reminds me of rednecks lifting and making monster truck Gen3 Camaro/Firebird or C4 Vettes. haha

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't ever understand it... reminds me of rednecks lifting and making monster truck Gen3 Camaro/Firebird or C4 Vettes. haha

The manufacturers today do just this.

IE Audi Q7
Nissan Murano
Etc Etc

Don't they call them "Crossovers"?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte