Who has put headers on their car?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the Belanger headers and high flo cats plus the Belanger cat back system installed on my ACR and it was WELL worth it. Awesome increase in performance and much louder which is what I wanted. The best part too is NO cel even without the Mopar PCM. Had it professionally installed though by a Viper tech.

What I found is you can get about 2500 miles on a set of the aftermarket cats before the efficiency takes a crap and you get a CEL. I have yet to find an aftermarket cat that is anywhere close to the longevity of the stock system. Maybe that is why the stock set up is two rather porky cats for each bank.....you really can't expect an aftermarket cat the size of a grapefruit to last very long with 600 hp blazing through it. I'm figuring because of the smaller size, they "wear out" exponentially faster than the stock set up.

Cheers,
George

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might have a test bed for Gen 5 header test if no one else has numbers yet :)

Reaction score
What I found is you can get about 2500 miles on a set of the aftermarket cats before the efficiency takes a crap and you get a CEL. I have yet to find an aftermarket cat that is anywhere close to the longevity of the stock system. Maybe that is why the stock set up is two rather porky cats for each bank.....you really can't expect an aftermarket cat the size of a grapefruit to last very long with 600 hp blazing through it. I'm figuring because of the smaller size, they "wear out" exponentially faster than the stock set up.

Cheers,
George

Belanger is using a California spec cat now on the GenV headers and has at least one beta car with 500+ miles without a CEL yet so lets hope this is more the norm then not ;-)

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not drop the cats and use these as resonators mounted in same location as the cats to keep the sound in check. Still using primary mufflers of choice.

Magnaflow 14159

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dimensions are as follows. Would they fit inside the side bolsters? If so, could a person remove the secondary cat only and just use one of these to replace it? I am assuming for offroad use only.

Material: 100% Stainless Steel - Mirror Finish
Body Shape: 6in. Round
Inlet/Outlet Size: 3in./3in.
Body Length: 6in.
Overall Length: 12in.
Core Size: 3in.
Position: Center/Center

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not drop the cats and use these as resonators mounted in same location as the cats to keep the sound in check. Still using primary mufflers of choice.

Magnaflow 14159

You could do that if you don't mind having the cabin smell like exhaust fumes. Magnaflow also makes high quality cats which tend to have the best flow for a given inlet/outlet diameter compared to other so-called 'high flow' cats. You may be able to fit a 3" or 3.5" I.D. cat in place of the stock cat rather than using a resonator. I have used their cats on several other cars pushing upwards of 500 RWHP and they have never failed.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just meant that maggie p/n to be used for sound tuning. Mounted in the normal location where a converter would go.

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know coming from high hp 4v ford applications, running rich under boost, converters generally don't live long when getting abused.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running a catless ACR-X header and muffler system and honestly have never smelled fumes. I am also running the Mopar PCM so maybe it leans out the mixture a bit.
But it is loud and at idle, when standing at the rear to lift or close the hatch the sound waves actually knock the brain matter around a little :headbang:

mblgjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most properly tuned cars shouldn't smell. Maybe a whiff here n there but not all the time. Can't wait for the new PCM for gV.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235