Will these calipers work?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Plum......

I just LOVE giving out advice so owners can buy stuff on flea bay. Its like I become FREE TECH SUPPORT for those competing sellers, aint it?
------------------------

That said, YES.....THE YEAR MATTERS....those calipers can be used on a DBB 4-wheel kit, GEN II, provided you have larger G2 wheels. And at a decent price, too! Glad To Help...

Last edited:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have 18" wheels ,they'll work.

Here's my DBB upgrade for my 99GTS . Bought the 14" discs from JonB along the DBB kit.

Rear

You must be registered for see images

13" discs to 14" comparo

You must be registered for see images

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how big of a difference does this upgrade make on a non abs car compared to toms 40mm rear caliper upgrade...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
how big of a difference does this upgrade make on a non abs car compared to toms 40mm rear caliper upgrade...

While Tom's rear upgrade is a benefit that I use myself, the 4 SRT-brakes and 4 larger rotiors on a G2 are a dramatic improvement, almost too much brakes.... you have to bias-valve some of it away!

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
97snk , It's a big difference from the OEM setup. It will not be as good as a ABS equipped Viper, ever;). I have mine dialed in pretty close by shortening the proportioning valve spring's length . Now winter is upon us ,I'll tackle the installation of the adjustable Wilwood unit into the rear cicuit I've got from JonB .
I think Tom's brake is a good economical solution ,because the DBB kit requires the e-brake kit as well as an adapter for the emergency spare .

Ps; my friend has a Noble M400 mid engined car that has awesome braking without ABS [ never locks up ,no matter how hard I tried to brake ] and driving side by side .I'm impressed how my Viper can stop next to him. Of course his car only weighs 2340 lbs with less mass and inertia , but still I'm impressed with my upgrade.!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the first, panic, heavy brake event the determining factor is mostly the balance of clamping forces between front and back calipers. The 40mm rear does very well with the OEM front; actual measurements show 1.0 G braking. No prop valve change is needed. A BBK system "could" do better if you really, really dial in the adjustable prop valve. An ABS system "should" do better because it can adjust each tire independently compared to non-ABS when your foot only controls all four calipers as a set.

At some point, the heat generated from repeated braking will affect the brake pad effectiveness, so a larger pad is needed, meaning a larger caliper. Obviously the type of pad is important and with a smaller pad you will have larger temperature swings. Further, with the larger pad you would find more "race car" pad applications.

It all depends on use, aggressiveness and frequency. I've melted the plastic tire valve stem caps when the wheels positioned them above the 40mm calipers after a track event. Calipers were fine, pads go away quicker because they are smallish.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will these calipers work for a BBDave Kit? I am going to powder coat them any way so i figured i would get a unfished calipers.

03-09 Dodge Viper SRT-10 OEM Front Rear Calipers Black: eBay Motors (item 300484262380 end time Oct-29-10 08:10:15 PDT)

Have you done your research for powder coating these? I was in the same boat. I bought my calipers used but they were already powder coated red. They had some minor scratches and chips so I wanted to get them redone.

I talked to Tops Powder Coating in OKC off of Shields and they wanted around $40 per caliper. Not a bad price, BUT they recommend that you completely disassemble all the calipers due to the high temperatures in the oven.

I found some replacement piston seals online for around $20 per seal... You can do it yourself and you might be able to reuse what you take off, but at $20 per seal = $80 a caliper x 4 calipers = $320 + $45 per caliper to powder coat = $500.

I would just get some that are mint or slightly used instead of the unfinished ones.

(Prices may vary) :rolaugh:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mods: forgot to remove "site sponsor" from over my picture...

And please check the 30-day notice on banner ad renewals because I didn't get that, either.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a kit available to run bigger rotors in rear using the stock rear caliper? I've toms 40mm caliper upgrade but my wheels are too big and the rotor too small...

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With DBB kit you can choose 14" front 13" rear or 14" front 14" rear .Unless you want 15" ,the 14" all four would still look great behind a 20" or 22" wheel.
Ps; you can't run a bigger [14"] rotor with the OEM rear combo brake/ebrake caliper . The 14" srT rotors also much wider than the 13" rear rotors.

Last edited:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With DBB kit you can choose 14" front 13" rear or 14" front 14" rear .Unless you want 15" ,the 14" all four would still look great behind a 20" or 22" wheel.
Ps; you can't run a bigger [14"] rotor with the OEM rear combo brake/ebrake caliper . The 14" srT rotors also much wider than the 13" rear rotors.

Isn't the front rotor bigger than the rear on gen 2? Can't the front rotors be relocated to rears?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the front rotor bigger than the rear on gen 2? Can't the front rotors be relocated to rears?
In short NO.
The front and rears on a late Gen 2 are 13" The fronts discs are 'thicker' than the rears, so you can't put them on the back.

Hang on, The front rotors can be moved to the rear if you also transfer the front caliper too, but they will not go to the rear if you intend to use the standard rear caliper. If you do transfer the front rotors with the front caliper you will also have to get the Dave's Big Brake handbrake kit. See Dave6666 pics ;)

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Plum......

I just LOVE giving out advice so owners can buy stuff on flea bay. Its like I become FREE TECH SUPPORT for those competing sellers, aint it?
------------------------

Jon, I'll help prevent you from busting an artery by ordering a DBB upgrade kit for my winter project. :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score