Woodhouse poly motor mounts ??

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.....brain fart... forgot WH mounts had same sizes studs on both sides unlike the OEM mounts... anyways.... here's how they look installed....

Driver side:
You must be registered for see images

Passenger side:

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno: I'm not sure it matters which way round they go :dunno:

I changed mine out weekend just gone, I put the longer stud facing the engine! I used the HOW-TOs guide by Viper Tony. You have to look carefully at the pictures because some are taken from under the car looking up and one or two pics are taken from the top of the car looking down ;) I do notice a bit more vibration through the gear shift now that things are stiffened up.

I can offer 2 tips on this job,
The first being how to remove that top bolt!

I have stock Headers, I found the top bolt would not easily push past the headers.

Push out top bolt until it hits the header.
Remove lower bolt and insert it into top mount bolt hole, then hit bolt a few times using it as a drift to knock it past the header. :) It worked for me :)

I had very little problem Knocking the bolt back in.

The other issue I found was undoing the engine mount nuts once you had removed the mount from the car.

I placed the mount in a vice then attempted to turn the stuck nut. I found that as you apply pressure to the nut the rubber engine mount twists and distorts. To solve this I placed a drift (or you could use a centre punch) between the two rusty metal tabs (upper and lower) that stick out from the original mounts. This locks the engine mount and then you can put some real leverage on the socket bar to undo the inner nut :)

Hope this helps
Mark
:uk:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess then that they have changed the spec :dunno: If you look at the picture of the stock mounts and the Woodhouse mounts in the How-Tos section, you can see the woodhouse screw thread is longer than the standard mount. :)

I'm sure Mark at woodhouse could put you mind at rest, give him a call. :)

One thing that is clear between Mikes and Tony's posts is that they have the mounts Fitted a different way round ;)

I fitted mine the same way Tony has them :)

So if your under the car, looking up towards the engine, the rounded part of the mount is nearest to me and the flat edge is at the top of the car.

Hope that helpes.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My Woodhouse mounts were symetrical, so I just stuck 'em in and didn't give it a second thought. No problems so far! The 2 to 3 shift is easier now, no more missed shifts. My original mounts were cracked, (especially one of them) and I think the engine and tranny were rocking under heavy throttle, making the 2 to 3 shift kinda dodgy.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fitted mine the same way Tony has them :)

I don't recall what rationale I used, if any, to orient the mounts when I installed them. I seem to recall that the knubs on the mounts could be ground down if needed. I unbolted my mounts recently so I could raise the engine/swap out the cam. They seem fine. Best bet is to ask Mark at Woodhouse if the orientation matters.

Replacing Engine/Transmission Mounts Part II – When to Replace?
Replacing Engine/Transmission Mounts Part III – Replacing Engine Mounts
PIA Changing Engine Mounts How To by Mike

- Tony

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do the OEM rust so quickly? Is it beacuse the design is to rust so they can never be remove or come apart? I have already damaged two sockets with theimpact wrench trying to remove the bottom nut.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use an impact socket. You will have to break them off. Atleast I had to. Both the pass and drivers mount were done....................

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will take more than beer................... :eek:

Real PITA, but if you can get a spot for Tony's place, I'll come up and help.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike, can you or Tony do mine next weekend? I will supply beer... :D

Now that he knows what NOT to do :D...shouldn't be a problem. I only experience minor vibrations in the 2000-2500 range. Cruising at 1700, the car is smoother than ever, shifts are precise and shifter doesn't move a bit. (of course, some of that might be the temporary Gen 3 tranny I've got in it now)

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, thats true I might just have to get a keg.

FatBoy, let me think on that one... ha

Chip, I say the Gen 3 tranny does not hurt either! ha

Reaction score
Can only go in one way. Short stud into frame long one into bracket, flat side towards the ground. ;)

I don't recall what rationale I used, if any, to orient the mounts when I installed them. I seem to recall that the knubs on the mounts could be ground down if needed. I unbolted my mounts recently so I could raise the engine/swap out the cam. They seem fine. Best bet is to ask Mark at Woodhouse if the orientation matters.

Replacing Engine/Transmission Mounts Part II – When to Replace?
Replacing Engine/Transmission Mounts Part III – Replacing Engine Mounts
PIA Changing Engine Mounts How To by Mike

- Tony

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can only go in one way. Short stud into frame long one into bracket, flat side towards the ground. ;)

Can only go in one way or "supposed" to go in one way ? And why will it only go one way is the real question. The length of the studs don't prevent them from going either way.

How does one know which way to orient the studs ? (other than this thread) The little dowels/nublits are on both sides. Was I missing directions or do they not come with them ?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't eeeeeeven know the whole story ;)

Now.....I am needing some lawn mower blades :)

Gotcha covered...............................:D. I not only will bring the blades, I even cu tth egrass..........If you got the beer............:D

And for those that don't think they could be put in backwards, you have never seen me work.........................:D I think I actually dod put mine in upside down..........:crazy2:

Mark, does it really matter?

Reaction score
The alignment studs can get hard to get into the frame cradle so you can shave one off. The short stud if facing up will generally not work on the bracket although I have seen pictures on here that did.

Actually Mark they can go in more than one way. I recall being able to orient either flat side facing down... Studs up or down, etc. You also once posted that the studs could be ground down to make them fit: http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...put-geniii-diy-motor-trans-mount-install.html

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car, it did.....like Tony said, you don't want to know the WHOLE story :mad:

I'm beginning to wonder if that's what happened to me!?!

I had a Viper Tech install the Woodhouse hi-durometer engine and tranny mounts, and now my car vibrates so bad, I can't get any usable video, even with a stabilized camera and solid mounts. I mean, I swear that I can feel every single combustion stroke. I'm ready to rip them out and change to something else, it's so bad.

Could this be from incorrect mounting, or is this what I should have expected?

Axtellboy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if that's what happened to me!?!

I had a Viper Tech install the Woodhouse hi-durometer engine and tranny mounts, and now my car vibrates so bad, I can't get any usable video, even with a stabilized camera and solid mounts. I mean, I swear that I can feel every single combustion stroke. I'm ready to rip them out and change to something else, it's so bad.

Could this be from incorrect mounting, or is this what I should have expected?

I would guess that something is incorrect with the installation. Mark J installed these for me a year ago, and I know everyone talks about some increased vibrations, but I never really noticed any increase at all (and certainly not anything objectionable or irritating).

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine vibrated a little for a few hundred miles. After 700 miles, it seems to be back to normal. I have no idea how they were put in, though. Some schmuck in Dalton put them on. :D

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alignment studs can get hard to get into the frame cradle so you can shave one off. The short stud if facing up will generally not work on the bracket although I have seen pictures on here that did.

Hi Mark,
I installed mine with no major problems but have the flat side of the mount facing uppermost in the car and the rounded end of the mount facing towards the ground! Will this be ok or do i need to swap them around? The threaded studs and location pins all wen back as per my original OEM mounts. Since changing them from the factory mounts Ive not noticed much difference, Ive taken the car down to Le mans and have put around 900 miles on them :) I still miss the occasional gear shift :(

Thing is I'm a bit worried that if I attempt to undo the mounts now I may damage them?

Mark
:uk:

Reaction score
I am a little confused about your saying there is no difference from stock???

Maybe there is something else wrong. Check over the mounts and brackets, also check the trans mout just to be sure, there has to be a mechanical reason for your complaints.

QUOTE=Fatboy 18;2859183]Hi Mark,
I installed mine with no major problems but have the flat side of the mount facing uppermost in the car and the rounded end of the mount facing towards the ground! Will this be ok or do i need to swap them around? The threaded studs and location pins all wen back as per my original OEM mounts. Since changing them from the factory mounts Ive not noticed much difference, Ive taken the car down to Le mans and have put around 900 miles on them :) I still miss the occasional gear shift :(

Thing is I'm a bit worried that if I attempt to undo the mounts now I may damage them?

Mark
:uk:[/QUOTE]

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK What I mean by this is that my OEM mounts were in fairly good shape before I removed them, I damaged them trying to undo the bolts which put a twisting motion on them causing the rubber to tear.

OK I do feel a slight bit more vibration now with the new mounts, but do not exactly get a 'wow' factor! I do now have a slight rattle in one of my side sills but I think its a slightly loose heat shield (inside the sill causing this) no big deal. I also changed the transmission mount. But If I'm fast shifting I occasionally miss that 3rd to 4th shift :( I need to physically push the shifter away from me.

Reaction score
You could benefit a lot from the MGW shifter assembley, if you search for reveiws it will sell itself. I always have them in stock because it is the ONLY one I believe in.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car does have a short throw shifter but it was on the car when I bought it so im not sure which one it is! or weather its still the standard shift mechinisim with a short handle? Is there any way of telling without having to rip everything apart?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I installed my Woodhouse mounts 3 years ago, I had vibration initially. It went away after 500 miles or so. I expect some vibration. Since the woodhouse mounts are much beefier than oem one, check your exhaust clearance through frame/side sills. It's possible, with aftermarket headers, that the turnouts might be sitting slightly higher than before and could be vibrating through the frame opening in the side sills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang