$11.99 foam gun

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a cannon but it does produce some foam. Went to Lowe's and picked an Ortho garden sprayer. It has an adjustable setting to mix soap with the water. The soap I used said 2oz per gallon so I filled up the container and put on the 2oz per gallon and hit the water. Not sure how much more soap a Gilmore gun puts out but for $11.99, I think it will work for me. I went with the Ortho because it comes empty. I didn't want to have to worry about cleaning out the bottle first.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Murray, for comparison sake. Here is a shot of my car when using my first foam gun, compressor driven not hooked to garden hose. It produced a lot of foam but I didn't like hearing the compressor run. I then bought a hose end foam gun from Eric @ Thompson Racing, and like it better. I don't have a pic of my car foamed with the Adam's gun yet. I'm sure another member will have a pic of their car using a hose end model.

It looks like your idea is working, my hose end gun does put out a much thicker layer of foam than your picture. But, yours could be putting out 'enough' foam ...... not an expert.

You must be registered for see images

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gilmour produces significantly more. 12 bucks is cheap but man I hate marks in the paint. You might try the adams soap it foams quite easily. Good Luck

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, that's a lot less foam than my gun produces. The Gilmore Foamaster (at $40-ish dollars), kicks out some serious foam. This is very comparable to the gun that Eric sells. But hey, I applaud the fact that you understand the need for this step in your wash routine.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Murray, for comparison sake. Here is a shot of my car when using my first foam gun, compressor driven not hooked to garden hose. It produced a lot of foam but I didn't like hearing the compressor run. I then bought a hose end foam gun from Eric @ Thompson Racing, and like it better. I don't have a pic of my car foamed with the Adam's gun yet. I'm sure another member will have a pic of their car using a hose end model.

It looks like your idea is working, my hose end gun does put out a much thicker layer of foam than your picture. But, yours could be putting out 'enough' foam ...... not an expert.

Why is your gas cap door open?

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to try some different settings and soaps. I used Armorall soap becuase it was already at the house. Maybe I need to try the Adams shampoo or the **** SudsII that ViperJon mentioned. If it doesn't work, I still have a garden sprayer:2tu:, no loss and I'll order a Gilmour.

The two bucket wash system worked great. Soap water was as clean when I finished as it was when I started.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2-bucket wash totally makes sense when you're looking at the clean wash water and dirty rinse water. It's like, "Why wasn't I already doing this?"

Gilmore has moved production of their guns to China so I don't know what kind of quality control they have now. Like I said before, I know the guns that Eric has are made in the USA and foam identically to the Gilmore that I have. I've used both so I can vouch for them.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an older Gilmour and an Adam's Gun. Both foam really well for hose driven. I am currently out of stock on the Adam's units, but am trying to get more in.

An old pic using the Gilmour. The foam had actually settle by the time I dried my hands and took the pic:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an older Gilmour and an Adam's Gun. Both foam really well for hose driven. I am currently out of stock on the Adam's units, but am trying to get more in.

An old pic using the Gilmour. The foam had actually settle by the time I dried my hands and took the pic:

You are much better at washing the car with the top down than the Junkman, he wasn't happy at all with that process:D

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me stupid (many of you already do so...;)) but why a foam sprayer? :confused:

What am I missing here? Is this instead of sticking the mitt in the bucket?

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I kinda put the Junkman on the spot there. That was my fault. I've always washed my convertables with the top down. My first car was a '79 Jeep CJ7 I bought when I was 15. I never had the top on it and I washed it every 3 days. I have plenty of practice washing a convertable.

The Foam Gun is not to replace the wash mit. Hopefully, it is to replace/reduce the amount of times needed with a polisher.

The Foam Gun is used to loosen and lift the dirt off the paint before washing. When you foam the car, they recommend letting the foam sit for at least 8 minutes. The foamed Car Wash agitates the SLS and increases surface tension, which enhances the shampoo's ability to loosen tough dirt and oil.

Most hair shampoos, soaps, detergents and toothpaste contain SLS (Sodium Luaryl Sulfate), which is a surfactant, used to foam up the solution. It is good at removing oily materials.

The agitation is done with hose pressure and wash pad, but the foam gun is a quick way to apply the foamed soap and allow it to work on the dirt and oil prior to cleaning with the wash mit. Similar to pre-soaking clothes in a washing machine.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are much better at washing the car with the top down than the Junkman, he wasn't happy at all with that process:D

:rolaugh:

I don't have that precision aim that Eric has!

Call me stupid (many of you already do so...;)) but why a foam sprayer? :confused:

What am I missing here? Is this instead of sticking the mitt in the bucket?

Like Eric said, you want to lube that dirt that is matted to your clear coat. Once lubricated, you can bring your mitt across the paint without grinding that matted dirt into the clear coat and creating the swirls that you see in so many paint jobs.

The foam gun acts like that Lucas oil additive that you put in your oil to keep everything lubed. It does not replace the oil, it assist it in a very positive way. That is what the foam gun is to the 2-bucket wash process. An assist, not a replacement.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me a "sicko" but all these pictures of foam covered Vipers reminds me of a wet t-shirt contest.
Now I've got wood!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me a "sicko" but all these pictures of foam covered Vipers reminds me of a wet t-shirt contest.
Now I've got wood!

So that you don't come off as a complete sicko, here's a video for ya'! :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDi5S4COgX0[/media]

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Foam Gun is not to replace the wash mit. Hopefully, it is to replace/reduce the amount of times needed with a polisher.

The Foam Gun is used to loosen and lift the dirt off the paint before washing. When you foam the car, they recommend letting the foam sit for at least 8 minutes. The foamed Car Wash agitates the SLS and increases surface tension, which enhances the shampoo's ability to loosen tough dirt and oil.

Most hair shampoos, soaps, detergents and toothpaste contain SLS (Sodium Luaryl Sulfate), which is a surfactant, used to foam up the solution. It is good at removing oily materials.

The agitation is done with hose pressure and wash pad, but the foam gun is a quick way to apply the foamed soap and allow it to work on the dirt and oil prior to cleaning with the wash mit. Similar to pre-soaking clothes in a washing machine.

:rolaugh:

Like Eric said, you want to lube that dirt that is matted to your clear coat. Once lubricated, you can bring your mitt across the paint without grinding that matted dirt into the clear coat and creating the swirls that you see in so many paint jobs.

The foam gun acts like that Lucas oil additive that you put in your oil to keep everything lubed. It does not replace the oil, it assist it in a very positive way. That is what the foam gun is to the 2-bucket wash process. An assist, not a replacement.

Ahh. Gotcha. I am following. So I bathe my car in Meguiars Gold Wash, would I still use that or something else to create the foam? Like shampoo?

Can I use a strawberry scented one so my car smells fresh like a spring day? ;)

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahh. Gotcha. I am following. So I bathe my car in Meguiars Gold Wash, would I still use that or something else to create the foam? Like shampoo?

Different soaps will foam up different ways. What you see on my car is the Adam's Car Wash. It won't hurt you to try what you got before buying something else.

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL...you can use Dove for Men body wash, great for sensitive skin :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

kyleblix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for these questions, buuuuut:
Do you wet the car down before foaming?
After foaming the car, do you rinse it off before starting with the mitt?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for these questions, buuuuut:
Do you wet the car down before foaming?
After foaming the car, do you rinse it off before starting with the mitt?

Yes to wetting the car down to get the loose dirt off
No on the rinse before mitt, the foam is to lubricate the car and lift the dirt away from the paint

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62