2008 vs 2005 Horsepower difference?

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As you may have read in another thread I am upgrading. Is there a huge noticeable difference in feel and speed with the 2008 600hp motor as to the 2005 500hp motor? I am trading a 1994, and I think that car is impressive for speed.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my not so professional opinion there is a difference. It has to do with throttle response. The '05 will have that instant feel when you step on the gas. The '08 has (the only way I have hear it described) like a turbo lag when you step on the gas. The car really lights up at about 3,000 rpm. Its amazing!!! Now having driven all four gen.'s of viper I must say I like just about everything about the '08. Between the two cars (the '05/'08) I would go for the '08 if you can. Great power definate difference in power between the two cars) and it will ride better than your '94. When I was looking for another viper I was considering an '08 but I came to realize that I love the GTS and thats what I had to have. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
D

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a feeling you guys would say to go with the 2008. Now my brain is realy churning.

ViperDreams

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've driven both and agree with the lag comment. Although you can feel the difference in HP. I'm putting 501 to the ground with intake, tune, exhaust on my '06 and think its feel faster then an 08. You are really taking on 1/10s of a second though. That being said I would still take the '08 over the '05 if $$ isn't the issue. Reliability, warranty, appearance, resale value...etc.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think every generation is great in it's own ways.

I'll get a gen V because they made it 600hp but, I couldn't say the gen III doesn't have enough power for me. The big issue is getting the tires to handle the HP Vipers have in year round conditions.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my 08, there was a slight delay when you blurp the throttle but that is really the only time I really noticed it. If you can find an 09, they have definitely improved it although it is still not immediate response. However, I wouldn't put too much stock in it to let it affect your decision...very minor IMO.

OP
OP
D

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So general concensus is that the 2005 still has great power and it is immediate. But the 2008 has slightly more power with a little delay like it has boost?

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, take the drive by wire delay out of the equation completely..it can barely be noticed unless you are blurping the throttle in neutral or in between shifts. It doesn't affect the feeling of power at all. The power still comes on strong all over the place just like in prior generations.

However, the new variable cam contributes even more power over prior generations in the upper RPM ranges. When it gets around 3,500-4,000 RPM, power comes on VERY strong instead of strong.

I think that is the best way I can describe it. Go for an 08 or 09 if you can. :2tu:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with that statement.
IMO, take the drive by wire delay out of the equation completely..it can barely be noticed unless you are blurping the throttle in neutral or in between shifts. It doesn't affect the feeling of power at all. The power still comes on strong all over the place just like in prior generations.

However, the new variable cam contributes even more power over prior generations in the upper RPM ranges. When it gets around 3,500-4,000 RPM, power comes on VERY strong instead of strong.

I think that is the best way I can describe it. Go for an 08 or 09 if you can. :2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe get the best of both worlds. I understand the new Mopar computer takes away most of the lag. Get the new car and install the Mopar computer. You should be good to go.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always best to go with the latest if you can, however like some have commented, there are benefits to each their own with each GEN. GEN1s while low on power (now) have such a simplistic aspect to them that they will always attract a certain buyer. GENIIs have great torque and combined with a forever classic look, they are great for certain people. GENIIIs are in great numbers and offer exceptional value used. They are easy to drive and offer very good power. You can feel the 500+ hp over the older GENs. The GENIV is the pinnacle of Viper performance and reliability. It will not get any better than this.

For me, being a supercharger freak and having bought my 06' new because the car was suppose to die in 07' (glad it did not) I chose to stay with the 06' Coupe I have and will eventually supercharge it to get the level of performance I really wanted in my American Exotic. I love the instant torque and throttle response feeling as it gets you more "mind melded" with the car, IMHO. No supercharging for the 08/09 yet and not sure if there will ever be a blower package for it, all things considered. Then again with the Mopar controller upgrade and exhaust on an 08/09, it is pretty deadly in NA form.

Guess it comes down to what you eventually want to do and money. Money no object, go with an 08/09 ACR. Want to supercharge it and have that instant feeling, go with an 03-06. Want to just set it and forget it without an fuss, go with an 08/09.

Either way, you can not go wrong. I drove a new 08 when I was considering selling mine to have the latest and greatest. You definitely can feel the extra HP and you could get use to the Drive By Wire (I did in our Cayenne Turbo S) as it is a superior car to the 03-06s, but it does not have that old school feeling like the 03-06s (to me anyway). The 03-06s are the last Viper with that old school feeling of instant torque. Despite being a minor point, it was ultimately a deciding factor for me to keep my 06 because I just liked the feeling better as opposed to the higher RPM/HP of the 08s, but to each their own though.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the 08 there going for just alittle more than a 06,better handeling,it is faster in every way from a 06,the 06 felt stronger at take off but at 5000 rpms it felt it had nothing more ,now the 08 keeps going strong.08 is the best viper ever made and i have had all generations.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having driven both back to back. The Gen III '03-'06 is really powerful and fast, but the Gen IV '08 I have now is hyperfast! You can feel the extra bhp & torque in the seat of your pants and see iton the speedo as well. As far as the money goes, there are great deals out there on super low miles '08's, so why buy a Gen III?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very noticeable your basically comparing a car (GEN 3 )that can barely break into the 11s quarter mile wise with a car that is capable of breaking into the 10s(GEN 4 )

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just so you guys know, statements like these are killing me as my '08 still has only 85 miles on the odometer, and our roads are still covered with salt. My car sits idle. sux...:(

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
having had an 04 and an 08---definately go 08----dont know why, but I feel like I get much less wheel hop on my 08

Ben

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the "drive by wire" was a deliberate attempt to save the "rookie" viper drivers from disaster...:)

How many stories have we heard about a new driver, not familiar with the torque of a Viper, put it in the weeds.

I'll bet the throttle wire delay has saved some lives...IMHO..:D

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im defiently getting a 2008 if I can swing it...To me it's just this simple...

If I get a 2006 coupe Ill pull up to the drag strip and run a 118-122 mph trap in 11.9-12.3 seconds...Respectable times..Probally faster than 90% of the modded cars their..And a BEAUTIFUL ride..People will come check her out comment ect.

If I get a 2008 coupe Ill pull up to the track and trapp 125-129 mph in the 11.2-11.6 seconds range...Very fast times.Probally faster than 98% of the people in their modded cars. A BEAUTIFUL and AGRESSIVE ride..People will check her out and comment as well as take pictures ect...

To me that what it's all about..When you figure you can get 2006 Coupes for 49K and 2008 coupes for 58K..Well your getting a lot for your money eighter way

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the GenIII and mod it. One of the easiest cars on the planet to add HP. These engines are bullet proof. After owning a first year BMW and Mercedes will never, ever again get a first year model...sorry fellas but that includes the Viper!!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first just riding around down my 09 did not seem much quicker than my 06. Then I got on interstate and as I went thru the gears I thought "whoa ". There is a difference . (In fact my CTS-V feels as fast as a Gen 3--actually has more HP)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im defiently getting a 2008 if I can swing it...To me it's just this simple...

If I get a 2006 coupe Ill pull up to the drag strip and run a 118-122 mph trap in 11.9-12.3 seconds...Respectable times..Probally faster than 90% of the modded cars their..And a BEAUTIFUL ride..People will come check her out comment ect.

If I get a 2008 coupe Ill pull up to the track and trapp 125-129 mph in the 11.2-11.6 seconds range...Very fast times.Probally faster than 98% of the people in their modded cars. A BEAUTIFUL and AGRESSIVE ride..People will check her out and comment as well as take pictures ect...

To me that what it's all about..When you figure you can get 2006 Coupes for 49K and 2008 coupes for 58K..Well your getting a lot for your money eighter way

Seems like you have that rationalized well. Both are good values for the money, the Pre-08 are easier to add more power to via boost though. My '06 with a Paxton and catback traps 134-135 mph in the 1/4. I've seen several Paxton equipped Vipers for sale at reasonable prices. Just another option!

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always felt that my 08 was not as strong as my GTS and a Gen 3 I had driven. But after about 1500 miles, I have a different opinion. In an 08, just make sure it is pointed where you want to go, because it gets there faster than you expect.

Last edited:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If u want to track the car, go 08. If you just want to pull away from what challenges you on a day to day basis, s/c the Gen 3 and pull away from 99.99% of everything on the planet.

Gen 4's are fast, but the competition is already surpassing it. The Zr1 is faster, as is the Ferrari 599, the new Gallardo, LP640 (latest C&D test), the Porsche GT2 is neck in neck, a slightly modded Z06 is right there with it, and the new lightweight Nissan GTR and the upcoming more powerful R8 will all be faster than the Gen 4. Of course, if you throw headers and exhaust on the Gen 4 you should be back in front of all these cars.

But a s/c 700+ rwhp Gen 3 is almost untouchable by anything.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am working on an 2008 model and got to take it out for a spin. I must say I am impressed with the smoothness and power that it delivers. For a stock Viper it's very fast and quick. Ride quality is about the same to me as the Gen III vipers.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very noticeable your basically comparing a car (GEN 3 )that can barely break into the 11s quarter mile wise with a car that is capable of breaking into the 10s(GEN 4 )

?????....much more GenIII have broken into the 11's then GenIV's in the 10's..

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
92-09_power.jpg

92-09_torque.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member