2009 Who has one?

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing from those who have driven the 2008 Coupe and now purchased the 2009 Coupe if they can differentiate the driving experience with the reflash to the drive by wire system (PCM), frame upgrades, and/or the new 6 spoke forged wheels?

How does the car respond or feel in comparison or is there essentially no difference?

Does it feel any quicker?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100 pounds. Rear part of the frame. Reinforced.
That's what I heard during the tech sessions in Detroit (VOI-X).

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little?
100 pounds...!?

Hi Markus! I believe the weight increase is 40 pounds. If you buy the new 6 spokes, that goes a long way toward getting back to where the 08 started, as they are quite a bit lighter than the other wheels (except Sidewinders).

Bill

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed the difference right away! Quicker responce and a more linear pull. But I only drove my 09 about 6 miles and now have it tucked away all snuggled and warm until spring!
I also like the 6 spoke wheels. I have EUROTECK two piece rotors and they will really show up well. You may want to paint the Original stock rotor hats or centers as they will be very expossed and will show any rust.
Just my .02

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the difference right away! Quicker responce and a more linear pull. But I only drove my 09 about 6 miles and now have it tucked away all snuggled and warm until spring!
I also like the 6 spoke wheels. I have EUROTECK two piece rotors and they will really show up well. You may want to paint the Original stock rotor hats or centers as they will be very expossed and will show any rust.
Just my .02

u been struck by the placebo efect...:)

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the second year of production of the Gen IV is good for something other than a price increase. Usually any first model year has some items that get sorted out by year 2. In the case of the 2008 the drive by wire (PCM)is probably one case for that. I would think there are a few others but maybe the nailed it on the first year:dunno:

Does anybody know what the weight of the 6 spokes are compared to the side winders or 5 spokes?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont know but probably a simple structure differance for silly politacs,no better or worse on either year in my opinion.08 and 09 are the same monster but a few simple tech differances.all in all if u want 09 programing in ur 08 computer,it will be available in some time as called(computer re-flash) or (update)

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats all? What requirements changed and is there a downfall to having an 08 compared to an 09?

I don't think there is a downfall to having an 08 compared to an 09. The throttle response has been a non issue for me. And apparently for Mark Jorgensen, too. The 08 weighs less, and costs less. There were several price increases during the 08 model year, and at least one increase of around $2400 in the 2009 model year. As you know, some different colors were available from year to year. That could also help decide which to buy.

Bill

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't the 09's a little heavier from the new frame than the 08's.

Bruce
The 08's had a weight increase occurring between early and mid production. The added weight came from beefed up half shaft's being done on all model's. Cannot recall if the added weight was 20 lbs or 40 lbs per car. This added weight was not factored into the intial advertised weight of the 08's.

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08's had a weight increase occurring between early and mid production. The added weight came from beefed up half shaft's being done on all model's. Cannot recall if the added weight was 20 lbs or 40 lbs per car. This added weight was not factored into the intial advertised weight of the 08's.

Can anybody else confirm the beefed up half shafts for 2008's and 2009's versus early model 2008's?

Also, if what you stated is correct the extra weight is not part of the federal crash test frame upgrades on the 2009 which is also extra weight?

Reaction score
Can anybody else confirm the beefed up half shafts for 2008's and 2009's versus early model 2008's?

Also, if what you stated is correct the extra weight is not part of the federal crash test frame upgrades on the 2009 which is also extra weight?

An 2008 delivered to dealer in Sep 2008, would probably have the beefed up half shafts, no?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My TNT heavy duty Gen2 half shafts weigh 17lbs each. My stock shafts are lighter than that. I have a hard time believing they added 10 lbs per half shaft let alone 20 lbs per.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the second year of production of the Gen IV is good for something other than a price increase. Usually any first model year has some items that get sorted out by year 2. In the case of the 2008 the drive by wire (PCM)is probably one case for that. I would think there are a few others but maybe the nailed it on the first year:dunno:

Does anybody know what the weight of the 6 spokes are compared to the side winders or 5 spokes?

Someone reputable (Jon B, Chuck Tator or Mark Jorgensen?) posted elsewhere that the new 2009 six-spoke rim weighs about the same as the ACR/Sidewinder rim.

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I mentioned i do not recall the exact added weight from the upgrade but believe it was around 20 lbs. You may want to post the question over on the ask the GRAILKEEPER forum. I am sure Herb can give you some more accurate info on the 08 production updates.:usa:

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I mentioned i do not recall the exact added weight from the upgrade but believe it was around 20 lbs. You may want to post the question over on the ask the GRAILKEEPER forum. I am sure Herb can give you some more accurate info on the 08 production updates.:usa:

I will try that next. I really want to know if the computer reflash was done for the 2009 and if the driveability is any different considering the upgrades.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my .02

re: The quick response ... I understand there is an upcoming flash for the drivability issue of the quicker response and that it will be available for the 08 due to some government standard of two year compatability ... so much for that advantage of an 09 ... of course the 09 is still has the extra weight disadvantage - much like the trip home from Thanksgiving dinner vs. the trip out. :drive:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Govt. standards are correct on the frame, and the increase was supposedly around 35 lbs.

Interestingly the MSO does not show the increase in weight , and in fact we have a couple that are actually less than last year, so I would figure on the increase as being close to what is noted above.

Drive-ability --- I can't feel any difference.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '08 ACR and I will get the PCU when it comes out but I've had 3 Vipers and they all feel pretty much the same in throttle response. When you have that much torque, you don't feel the jump when you mash the gas as much as you do in a high HP but lower torque car. Same thing in a motorcycle. That's why they make Harleys and crotch rockets, they both go fast but feel different.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '08 ACR and I will get the PCU when it comes out but I've had 3 Vipers and they all feel pretty much the same in throttle response. When you have that much torque, you don't feel the jump when you mash the gas as much as you do in a high HP but lower torque car. Same thing in a motorcycle. That's why they make Harleys and crotch rockets, they both go fast but feel different.

They make Harley's that go fast?:D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery