800HP V10 crate engine, 650HP bolt-on kit for Gen III's, announced today

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also really looking forward to the 650 hp package and what it will cost. If it is under 10k, I will probably get one. Another note, Mopar cars have always been more expensive to mod then GM cars. What I am wondering is why?

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also really looking forward to the 650 hp package and what it will cost. If it is under 10k, I will probably get one. Another note, Mopar cars have always been more expensive to mod then GM cars. What I am wondering is why?

Lower production numbers = lower total sales of aftermarket parts.

Same amount of engineering, but fewer potential sales to make up for it means higher prices.

ACR_VP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen others on this forum swapping genIII heads in a genII... Can't wait to hear the full details on this package, and see if anyone's brave enough to attempt the upgrade on a genII. I'd love genIV NA power in a genII!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like they got smart and are selling Jeff's heads (Stykers)as a factory option now!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this story holds true on the GenIII N/A upgrade I will be buying one as long as it stays under 12K Yea this track rat will be in heaven with that kind of power behind my wheel!!! This just may have changed my Christmas wish list

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like they got smart and are selling Jeff's heads (Stykers)as a factory option now!

Those are not Strikers. While there are a lot of similarities between the Strikers and the Gen-4 heads, they are not identical by any means.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is what they're doing Dan, adapting Gen IV heads including valve covers, to the Gen III engine? What style intake manifold will be used, basically the one included with the 800hp version?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, are the Gen IV heads improved so much that even without a cam swap, an additional 150 flywheel HP isn't out of the ordinary?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan, are the Gen IV heads improved so much that even without a cam swap, an additional 150 flywheel HP isn't out of the ordinary?

Honestly we have never tested one without a cam "just to see" since we all know the Gen-3 cam isn't all that fantastic. It would be a lot of time and money to spend just for the hell of it, given that the cam pales in price compared to everything else.

However, having said that, I would say that it is not impossible at all. If you factor in that Gen-4's can see 700+ all day long with basic bolt on's like intake/exhaust/controller, and then take that 700 and subtract 50 for the fact that the Gen-4 Cam IS more aggressive than the Gen-3, you would be right on par with the claims.

Its not just the heads here, the intake manifold and exhaust design -the next weakest links in the chain- are both greatly improved on the Gen-4's as well.

So I guess to indirectly answer your question, yes, the vast majority of the gains involving Gen-4 heads are the heads/intake/exhaust, not the cam itself. The cam certainly helps though!

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan, I've been following this build. Really interested to see the final result and how price/performance compares against the upcoming Mopar kit. It's great to see these options opening up for the Gen III cars.

Ummm... guys, you may want to really pay attention to whats going on here:

1. That 800 Horsepower engine is a DRAG ENGINE ONLY. The only reason it made that much power, it because it is accessory-less. Otherwise, it is nothing that the Aftermarket hasn't already done.

2. That conversion package has already been available for a long while. We even have our own version of it, which is even more complete than their own. All this means is that Mopar was a tad late to the party, as usual. Sheesh, the thread is only a few below this one! http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/648544-Gen-III-to-Gen-IV-Engine-Build

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From my perspective, $10k tends to be the line of demarcation. I may be the only one in this camp, but $9,999 doesn't sound too excessive and honestly it keeps my wife from blowing a gasket. It would be a shame to see this kit priced in the $15k range.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could always offset the price by selling your old parts... or if you found out you can't afford the new parts, sell them and reinstall the stock pieces

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You could always offset the price by selling your old parts... or if you found out you can't afford the new parts, sell them and reinstall the stock pieces

This is a very good point I often forget to mention: You have to keep in mind that you are not sending back ANY of your old parts. You can likely recover a LOT of money from them if you opt to sell them off, especially if they are performance parts that you no longer need/can use.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh.........................VPA has the crate engine DISCOUNTED DOWN to $37,500. Like I said awesome parts at a price that will assure virtually no sales. No need to wait any longer folks, your wet dream just turned into bed wetting................................

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patiently waiting :popcorn:

Sorry, had to take care of business first...;) I'll hit the Mopar booth tomorrow...meanwhile, pls enjoy these "highlights" from the SEMA show :D

You must be registered for see images attach

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't understand, you can buy a "strong", brand new Gen III crate engine for 14k after VCA discounts, or 18k without. How could a performance package for the Gen III cost more than a brand new engine?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant remember what I was about to say after seeing those pics....

Oh! Right!

I'm betting the crate motor will be big bucks, $30k+, but who knows, maybe not?

I hope the 650HP Gen III package comes in under $10k, seems like heads/intake manifold/throttle body/injectoirs/PCM should be do-able for under that pricetag. That's an amazing setup, can't wait to see the dyno numbers for that package too.

Uh.........................VPA has the crate engine DISCOUNTED DOWN to $37,500.

Dealer list in Canada according to DealerConnect is $66,000!! :omg:

Not in the system for the Gen 3 package yet...

Official Mopar info:

http://www.mopar.com/events/sema/20...m=SEMAtab&utm_campaign=FBSEMAtab#!live-stream

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

srt4evah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh.........................VPA has the crate engine DISCOUNTED DOWN to $37,500. Like I said awesome parts at a price that will assure virtually no sales. No need to wait any longer folks, your wet dream just turned into bed wetting................................

That's not surprising, it's a drag application only piece. Not usable on the street anyways, it lacks accessories and has a 12.5:1 compression ration, it's for pro drag racing teams, and they'll be buying it.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hijak......wow the chall acr is bad ***. ..i hope they build it.race trac ready like the x car but a little more streetable

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patiently waiting :popcorn:

OK, so i was finally able to get over to the Mopar booth today and took some photos of the new engine upgrades as well as get some pricing. The new upgrades will be available from Mopar at the end of this month!

The new Gen III engine upgrade kit will start at $10K which includes new cylinder heads, fuel rails, larger fuel injectors, upper intake manifold from the Gen 4, wiring harness & revised engine control software. Meanwhile, the Viper Competition Series Drag Race engine will start at $30k. Mopar also have a Hemi upgrade kit & new hi output motor. Mopar now offers ACR lightweight rotors & oil pan with pickup and a cat back exhaust system for the Gen III Viper. Looks like the Gen III's just got revived by Mopar :)

Enjoy the photos:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quality detective work!!

$10k isn't bad, after reading Dan's posts earlier, but more than I initially thought. Thanks again though!

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SFViper - thanks for the pix and advanced info!

OK, so 650hp WITH headers sounds more realistic. $10k or less was where this needed to be IMO so its looks like they may actually want to sell these kits. I like the ACR upgrades too. Good work Mopar.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much for a set of Greg Good Heads and cam for our cars?

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg's heads and cam (with T&Ds, lifters, ported IM, gaskets, ARP, etc.) is cheaper. Its actually on par or even less than a new paxton kit. While the picture is blurry, the MOPAR kit does include other hardware that you won't find on Greg's kit such as new fuel rails, injectors, and intake manifold. Interestingly, I don't see a new cam included :omg:

Exciting times for the Viper community :)

Last edited: