Are you guys as excited as me that Dodge is taking 2008 orders?

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It feels like it has been a year since I went to Detroit and seen the 2008 in person. Layed my eyes on it ,took pictures , walked around came back took more pictures . Repeated those steps for the day . :) Read on thier display boards and the pamplets they had . The details of the new found power Dodge is putting into its monster. All the internal upgrades, the beautiful new hood, the revised transmision, rear end even new tires. Imagined the sheer joy of having a car with the possibility of 675 HP......... right out of the factory with the extra upgrades.

Sure the look hasn't changed a lot but the new coupe look has really grown on me .I really love the look as much or more as my current GTS. Probably more cause I usually lust over what I don't have .

Each day can't go by quick enough. I can not soak in enough info , or look at enough pictures . I think its the only thing on my mind, or that I talk about . I have easily convinced my wife to let me get one . I think she finally said yes with hopes that I would shut up about the car . For some strange reason its not on her mind as much as mine :)

I love my current GTS but I want the latest and greatest .So time seems to have come to a stand still lately awaiting info. Every day I wake up knowing that I am one day closer to owning the new 2008. I check daily Dodge.com and this website to see if they have listed a price or given any more details about the new Viper. Now with the announcement that Chris has told us that dodge is taking orders . It feels like I am that much closer to the new car.

This might all seem a bit crazy to some but I am very excited about the new Viper . I have never been so willing and sure about spending $100 Grand (CND) in my whole life, As I am with the new car. I just need a few more details before I can order it . The price , the options that will be available. Which will hopefully include the HP upgrades to 675. So here is to one step closer :2tu:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well, since you specifically asked...no.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Absolutely. The 08 Viper is the most awesome car to ever come outta Detroit. The only thing that would make me more excited is if I had the scratch to buy one.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck. Unfortunately that baby will be well north of 100K and thats a lotta coin for a new car, Viper or not.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I am even though I won't be in a position to buy one anytime soon. It will be even more fun when the Dodge or SRT website puts in the "build yours" option so we can see the various colors in the convertible option too. I wonder what the new fuel economy number is - may reduce the guzzler penalty.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m with you Viper ACR. I can’t get enough of them. I’d love to order one but, it makes more sense to me to buy it second hand. Maybe with a MOPAR675 kit already installed. I also can’t wait to see the actual colors and interiors.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No way can I see spending $100,000.00 for a new viper when the paint chips off after 200 miles. I can buy a $20.000.00 Mazda Miata with paint that does not chip. Seeing that DC will not do anything about the paint chips I will pass on a new red viper with black primer pok-a-dot chips in it.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wanting and waiting 10+ years to own a Viper, and I finally got my '06 Coupe a few months ago. As much as I'd love even more power, my blood starts pumping every time I look at mine. Even when it's under the car cover!

Makes me feel that much better when I remember that not only is it paid for, but I got about ~17K off sticker!

I'm more than satisfied with my '510hp' version. (Though I'm thinking a DC Flash/T-Stat, Air Filters, and a set of Gears would really make me happy!:D )

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If being able to order to your personal specs a limited production American handbuilt big block Viper producing 600HP from the factory covered by a complete bumper to bumper factory warranty with a manufacturer who provides among other things, amazing owner invitationals , great dealer support through it's Viper tech program along with supporting a fantastic Viper days racing and driver education program as well as building an affordable comp coupe for all levels of drivers and which also provides support for this great websight and national club doesn't get you guys excited then I am wondering what car and manufacturer does get you guys excited????????????????????????

I think we are living through an historic once in a generation perhaps never to be duplicated period of time with our Vipers. I for one am excited every darn day and twice on Sunday to be able to walk into a Dodge dealership and spec out a handbuilt 600 HP big block covered by a warranty in just about every color I could think of for 100K and fully realize the Viper I order will be a low volume rare car supported by a factory trained Viper tech.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If being able to order to your personal specs a limited production American handbuilt big block Viper producing 600HP from the factory covered by a complete bumper to bumper factory warranty with a manufacturer who provides among other things, amazing owner invitationals , great dealer support through it's Viper tech program along with supporting a fantastic Viper days racing and driver education program as well as building an affordable comp coupe for all levels of drivers and which also provides support for this great websight and national club doesn't get you guys excited then I am wondering what car and manufacturer does get you guys excited????????????????????????

I think we are living through an historic once in a generation perhaps never to be duplicated period of time with our Vipers. I for one am excited every darn day and twice on Sunday to be able to walk into a Dodge dealership and spec out a handbuilt 600 HP big block covered by a warranty in just about every color I could think of for 100K and fully realize the Viper I order will be a low volume rare car supported by a factory trained Viper tech.

Well said Les. And Viper ACR...I couldn't agree more with your post!!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Les, you nailed it! My sentiments exactly.

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I am even though I won't be in a position to buy one anytime soon. It will be even more fun when the Dodge or SRT website puts in the "build yours" option so we can see the various colors in the convertible option too. I wonder what the new fuel economy number is - may reduce the guzzler penalty.

I am excited too, for the website to update so we can biuld our Vipers online and change things around . I cant wait tell we get some performance stats on the car too as well as the new fuel economy numbers . That would be great if we could get out if the gas guzzler tax .

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so much for me.

I want a new look, not just a hood and a few extra parts on the same car....

HP can come in cheaper ways (Paxton)

Not worth the $$ difference. IMHO

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so much for me.

HP isnt gonna cost much the price isnt suppose to move .

Its not just a few extra parts though . The list is a page long on all the things they have changed on the 2008 . I think that the power will be able to go to the ground alot better . Its a great deal with all the extra parts that are going into the car .If you were to upgrade an 06 with all the parts the 08 has thier is no way you could come close to the price the 08 will sell for .

Thier is way more than the extra horsepower that I am excited about . I think all the other additions make me more excited than the HP.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Chuck. Unfortunately that baby will be well north of 100K and thats a lotta coin for a new car, Viper or not.
Nope, won't be north of $100K I'll bet - even with taxes and all the goodies...

And if we hadn't just gotten our car back (with lots of extra HP) we would be buying a 2008 in a heartbeat. As noted above, the horsepower is only part of the story. It is a redesigned car for the entire drivetrain and entirely worth the scratch. Vipers have always been a great buy for the money, but in this case it is truly a horsepower milestone (not to mention a leap in technology while staying true to it racing roots). It's like being able to load up a '71 Cuda convertible with all the goodies, including the 426 Hemi. Chances like this are very, very rare indeed. As will be this car.

Last edited:

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Y2K makes a nice point about being able to order a 71 HEMI Cuda Convertible. To add to that thought lets consider that the 71 Mopar lineup(as were all the 60s era cars) was an assembly line produced car built as quickly as possible on the rapidly moving assembly line and crudely manufactured.

I own an unrestored 70 HEMI Challenger and when I close the doors it sounds like an exploding bucket of bolts. Realisticlly speaking the HEMIs were really not that fast a car and a well tuned 440 was a good match for a HEMI. Starting and keeping my HEMI tuned is always an adventure. There was a reason so few HEMIs were ordered and that was because1960s era build quality sucked and the cars wear a bear to keep running.

Our current Vipers are hand built can sit all winter (for those of you who have a winter) and start up immediately. Fit and finish gets better each year as does the performance. I repeatedly challenge anyone to show me another car company who provides everything that Dodge brings to the table in the form of the Viper all things considered.

I bought a 06 Ford GT and it is a cool car( arguably one of the best looking cars to ever come out of Detroit) that runs strong but in stock configuration it is really not any faster than my 06 Viper depending on the driver. The Ford dealers have no Ford GT techs and don't really want the headaches of servicing the car. Ford rushed the car into production to meet Fords 100 year anniv. celebration and ceased production after two years leaving the GT owners to sort out the bugs. Ford provides no owner invitationals, no support for a GT national club, no support for a websight etc.

If you buy a Porsche it loses 50% of it's value within two years of purchase(I know this from personal experience) and is grossly overpriced. They do however build a superb quality car with unsurpassed handling. However the third generation Vipers are the equal of the Porsche 996 GT2s and outperform the all wheel drive 997 turbos for a LOT less money. The Porsche dealer network ***** and for the most part they could care less if you ever come back. Factory support is non existent on the grassroots customer level. The only Porsche that exceeds the Viper in performance is the Carrera GT and MSRP was 448K although they now sell in the 350K range. But ground clearance makes driving one very difficult, not to mention costs of insurance and repairs when the warranty expires.

Chevy and it's Corvettes in my opinon and this is just all my humble opinion builds a great car and really has reduced the weight on that car. But the styling in my subjective opinion just puts me to sleep. Nothing significant or historic about the recent Vettes in comparison to some older Vettes. Performance for value is outstanding. But Chevy builds a ton of them every year provides no owner appreciation invitationals and the rest of the package Dodge provides as well as Chevy is always behind the timeline in terms of HP always playing catch up?

Ferrari builds about 5000 cars a year and unless you are a long time customer just try and buy a new 430 for a reasonable price and oh by the way the 430 is 480 to 500 HP and the 08 Viper is 600 HP and handbuilt just like the Italian job. Their new 599 is 600 HP but MSRP is 275K with some dealers asking 500K for the car.

I challenge anyone to point out to me now or in automotive history a car and ownership experience like we now have with the Viper??? So yes I am a little excited about the new 2008 Viper. LOL

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty good write-up there Les, can't say I disagree with any part of it. I would add however, that I like the devotion Porsche and Ferrari have towards racing. I'd like to see Dodge throw support toward Viper Days and the VRL.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Egg-sided.....xxxx-ci----teddd.............cytddddd.....damn with no 2007s I can hardly contain myself that I can now get back to putting Snakes in pits around the Country. Don't kid yourself that this new slitherer will not even make Motor Tired , Cur and Drivel, and Otto Moe-Bill, sit up and notice when they have to do tests.

The things you will hear over the next few months will make those who think that DC didn't make enough changes, awaken , and solidify that they did what we asked ---- MoPowr, MoPowr, MoPar!!!

Get ready for Shock and Awe.................this will be one amazing car on the track and for the gentleman who was concerned about Motor Tireds bias, they won't be able to deny the 2008----- as it will epitomize what will happen to the competition, they will be 8 by a 10.
:drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sources tell me the rear end is quaffe-style technology, so we can get the power down better coming out of the corners. I've also heard 630 hp is more truthfull than 600. Bill, thanks for making the order fun and easy. I will call Cindi tomorrow about a cage. This is a breakthrough car, with far bigger driveline and power changes than any other Gen change.

Chuck, they do support Viper Days and VRL. They are still a big sponsor. We would both love to see factory support for T1, Speedvision, Le Mans etc.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, they do support Viper Days and VRL. They are still a big sponsor. We would both love to see factory support for T1, Speedvision, Le Mans etc.

Yes, I stand corrected. The fact that Dodge knows what we do with these cars and still back the warranty is phenominal. I should have said "more" support. :smirk:

FASTFUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Y2K makes a nice point about being able to order a 71 HEMI Cuda Convertible. To add to that thought lets consider that the 71 Mopar lineup(as were all the 60s era cars) was an assembly line produced car built as quickly as possible on the rapidly moving assembly line and crudely manufactured.

I own an unrestored 70 HEMI Challenger and when I close the doors it sounds like an exploding bucket of bolts. Realisticlly speaking the HEMIs were really not that fast a car and a well tuned 440 was a good match for a HEMI. Starting and keeping my HEMI tuned is always an adventure. There was a reason so few HEMIs were ordered and that was because1960s era build quality sucked and the cars wear a bear to keep running.

Our current Vipers are hand built can sit all winter (for those of you who have a winter) and start up immediately. Fit and finish gets better each year as does the performance. I repeatedly challenge anyone to show me another car company who provides everything that Dodge brings to the table in the form of the Viper all things considered.

I bought a 06 Ford GT and it is a cool car( arguably one of the best looking cars to ever come out of Detroit) that runs strong but in stock configuration it is really not any faster than my 06 Viper depending on the driver. The Ford dealers have no Ford GT techs and don't really want the headaches of servicing the car. Ford rushed the car into production to meet Fords 100 year anniv. celebration and ceased production after two years leaving the GT owners to sort out the bugs. Ford provides no owner invitationals, no support for a GT national club, no support for a websight etc.

If you buy a Porsche it loses 50% of it's value within two years of purchase(I know this from personal experience) and is grossly overpriced. They do however build a superb quality car with unsurpassed handling. However the third generation Vipers are the equal of the Porsche 996 GT2s and outperform the all wheel drive 997 turbos for a LOT less money. The Porsche dealer network ***** and for the most part they could care less if you ever come back. Factory support is non existent on the grassroots customer level. The only Porsche that exceeds the Viper in performance is the Carrera GT and MSRP was 448K although they now sell in the 350K range. But ground clearance makes driving one very difficult, not to mention costs of insurance and repairs when the warranty expires.

Chevy and it's Corvettes in my opinon and this is just all my humble opinion builds a great car and really has reduced the weight on that car. But the styling in my subjective opinion just puts me to sleep. Nothing significant or historic about the recent Vettes in comparison to some older Vettes. Performance for value is outstanding. But Chevy builds a ton of them every year provides no owner appreciation invitationals and the rest of the package Dodge provides as well as Chevy is always behind the timeline in terms of HP always playing catch up?

Ferrari builds about 5000 cars a year and unless you are a long time customer just try and buy a new 430 for a reasonable price and oh by the way the 430 is 480 to 500 HP and the 08 Viper is 600 HP and handbuilt just like the Italian job. Their new 599 is 600 HP but MSRP is 275K with some dealers asking 500K for the car.

I challenge anyone to point out to me now or in automotive history a car and ownership experience like we now have with the Viper??? So yes I am a little excited about the new 2008 Viper. LOL

WELL SAID!:usa:

Whoaa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not so much for me.

I agree. Regardless of whats underneath the skin, it needs more than slapping on a new hood from a styling point of view. The 600 hp number is kinda cool for magazine bragging rights and benchracing, but there have been 600 to 1600 hp vipers around for a while, just not from the factory!! I am hoping that the 08 it will at least shut up the Zo6 owners for a lil bit though haha

BlackCrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's like being able to load up a '71 Cuda convertible with all the goodies, including the 426 Hemi. Chances like this are very, very rare indeed. As will be this car.

Initially I felt that particular comparison was in order but the 71 hemi cuda vert is my as well as many other collectors holy grail of muscle cars.

How many are left today , 5 -6 ?

Each with their own unique characteristics.

The hemi in the E-Body vert was impracticle , implausible & unattainable for 99.9% of cuda buyers.

A run of 800-1000 08 Vipers = 500-600 garage queens 20 years from now.

That said I'm on my way to put my deposit down for the 08 . :omg: :D

I do believe the current HP war is nearing it's end .
A 600+ HP Viper & 650 HP vette may very well be the swan song.

Could be wrong but outside of tuners I don't see Cash strapped DC & GM investing
research , time & $$$ for a streetable 700HP ride under 150K.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Regardless of whats underneath the skin, it needs more than slapping on a new hood from a styling point of view. The 600 hp number is kinda cool for magazine bragging rights and benchracing, but there have been 600 to 1600 hp vipers around for a while, just not from the factory!! I am hoping that the 08 it will at least shut up the Zo6 owners for a lil bit though haha

I disagree. The styling was changed in a very noticeable way with simply the hood. Add all the mechanical differences (pretty much the entire drivetrain, etc.) and it is a new car. Just look at the folks that changed from a Gen I RT/10 to a Gen II: Cosmetically it was pretty much a hood change only, but the engines were different - 50 HP in that case. With today's Viper you add all the different exterior and interior colors, wheel options, etc. the 2008 is very different from what you had in 2003 - not to mention a full 90 more horsepower.

The styling is fine and the new hood enhances it even more. If a body style change is your criteria for a new Viper and the performance secondary, don't hold your breath: The first two body styles of the Viper (GTS & RT/10) were produced for eleven years. That would put the next Viper in 2014. And with the current gas prices climbing and the conservation folks dead set against cars like these, this may just be the prime to buy the best American sports car ever made.

Or you could put off buying that '71 Hemi Cuda (convertible or not) to see what 1972 will bring (a detuned 340 was it), or maybe 1975 for a new design of the car (discontinued entirely). You will still be kicking yourself 36 years later and telling your children and grandchildren about that time you almost bought a Hemi Cuda right off the showroom floor.

Or that time you almost ordered that 600 horsepower Viper before the new federal administration killed the muscle car shortly after taking office in 2009. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21