Bait and Switch at Parts Rack

Triple7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just called the Parts Rack about a Borla exhaust system they show on their web site. I said I had a few questions about the system listed on the site. In true ********* saleman fashion Jon ask if I called to order an exhaust system. I said I wanted some info on the particular Borla system he sells first. He tried to talk up every other exhaust system he sells and tells me he doesn't stock the Borla systems and who knows how long it will take to get one. When he figured out that I wasn't interested in another brand he cut me off short. (if you are not going to make any money from someone why not be rude)
If he didn't show a Borla system on his site I would not have wasted his time or more importantly, mine with the phone call...........but then he wouldn't have had a chance to try to sell me something I didn't call about and didn't want.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think the Borla system is the best sounding on a Viper. It's a good choice if you ask me.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
son of a gun! did you call on a monday? mondays are no good for jon...he also has lots of viper experience and prolly just tried to steer you the right direction. if you have an srt i would recommend the corsa and im sure 8 out of 10 will too. borla???? most popular ones for vipers are corsa, B&B and Belanger. i think there is a very small percentage of viper owners with Borla but i could be wrong.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha you called on MOnday! Tisk tisk tisk you know Jon is always crabby on Mondays lol

As far as exhausts, go B&B you cannot go wrong. I absolutely LOVE mine and I have heard several others in person! Call him back and go ahead and order the B&B.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You picked the worst day to call him - Monday. Not that what you say happened is warranted, but he has told me before don't call on Monday to chat about parts. Monday is for what you broke at the track over the weekend. A lot of us have roots with him. Call him back later this week and give him a second chance. Remind him of your disappoint today if you so choose.

OP
OP
T

Triple7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first Viper was a '99 GTS that had the Dodge aftermarket (Borla) cat back system already installed when I bought it. To me, that system sounded better than any other Viper I have heard. (just personal preference) I want my current car to sound the same.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mondays are bad for Jon. That busy signal I got when I called him before must've been you tying up the line...hang up, I need replacement parts!!! If you don't want sound advice don't call Partsrack. If you want a real exhaust, get a Belanger but don't call Jon because he'll give you a great price.

OP
OP
T

Triple7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wanted to know if the Borla part #14663 is the same system as the Dodge (or Mopar) part # P5007274. I know that the Borla part #140049 has 4 mufflers and so could not be the same as the Dodge set up. Also, the new Dodge systems have tips with the Viper logo etched on them. The Borla system listed on the Parts Rack web site doesn't list a part #

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
son of a gun! did you call on a monday? mondays are no good for jon...he also has lots of viper experience and prolly just tried to steer you the right direction. if you have an srt i would recommend the corsa and im sure 8 out of 10 will too. borla???? most popular ones for vipers are corsa, B&B and Belanger. i think there is a very small percentage of viper owners with Borla but i could be wrong.

Agreed that the Corsa Track exhaust sounds great, we have them with the B&B stepped headers. As Dimitrios can attest to, it's loud and BEASTLY!!! LOVE IT!! (Yeah, call Jon later in the week...he WILL take the time to talk to you and you'll get what you really want). ~juli~

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Borla's on my 95, no cats and long headers. Love the sound!

Go with what you like, I am sure you can find them. Personally Partsrack would be the last place I would look or recommend anyone to.:(

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been there..... End up with RandomTech Catback exhaust :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've called him a few times on a monday and had NO PROBLEM....i dont know what you guys speak of.

im guessing he wanted to sell you what he thought was right for you.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon has done a modified bait and switch on me as well. He sent me an oil cooler and I screwed it up trying to install it. He sent me a replacement, free of charge. I asked him for a RH horn for my Viper when I ordered said oil cooler. Jon wasnt sure if I needed the high or low tone horn, so he sent both, free of charge. Not really bait and switch, but close enough :D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just called the Parts Rack about a Borla exhaust system they show on their web site. I said I had a few questions about the system listed on the site. In true ********* saleman fashion Jon ask if I called to order an exhaust system. I said I wanted some info on the particular Borla system he sells first. He tried to talk up every other exhaust system he sells and tells me he doesn't stock the Borla systems ....

1) FACT: The VERY FIRST words out of your mouth were asking me about "PART NUMBERS of the Borlas vs. Dodge Dealer Borla part numbers." THAT TELLS ME A LOT !
Guys calling for part numbers first NEVER ORDER an exhaust ! But I explained anyway the several variations Borla has offered over the years, etc. THAT SAID.....

2) You seemed to want a Borla and fast, so I told you
a) I dont have G2 Borla in stock...could be 3-30 days, Borla is notorious for delayed drop ship dates
b) Borla is the loudest and has had the most complaints here and at my installers.
c) You are in GA and so is RANDOM. Did you ever hear Random? You were unsure.

3) How is giving you (a non-customer) lots of helpful research advise construed to be BAIT AND SWITCH ( unethical)? That is not what happened! We offer Corsa, Belanger, B+B, Random and Borla so i dont care WHICH you buy. I did not bait you, I just told you the facts. You sponged em up, and they were NOT what you wanted: PART NUMBERS !

4) Im sorry you did not like my rushed manner, or the honest advise. >>>>>Im so deeply hurt by your allegations of B+S. that Im going to take the next 3 days off to recover, maybe travel, and then go racing Friday-Sunday to calm down . Ill start over NEXT MONDAY. [I -AM- sorry you felt mis-handled.]

Thanks guys for your feedback. But: Im REALLY gone til Monday 8/20 ! Ill have a crabby-monday sale 8/20. DONT CALL TIL THEN !!!!!! I was kidding about being hurt and in recovery..Im just GONE on a biz trip and racing.

Last edited:

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke to Jon today, because I needed two lugnuts for my SSR wheels.

I initiated the discussion with a quick e-mail, because we all know how he is on Mondays......... hell, I know how I am on Mondays.

Within the hour of my e-mail he was on the phone helping me out:2tu:

Don't beat the guy up:nono: , he was really looking out for your best interest. The questions he may ask of you are to help him better understand what your looking to do, the problem you may have is in the delivery of the question(s).

Do yourself a favor and give him another shot:headbang: , he's really a great guy.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody has their opinion to be sure, but I'll throw mine in as well. The first Viper that I test drove and almost bought had the Borla exhaust. Sounded good, but when I got my Viper I put the Random Tech exhaust on and was blown away! Sounds amazing! PartsRack has a sound clip on their site. Nifty.

On the other topic, I have always had A+ experiences with JonB and PartsRack.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've experience a little crabby Jon on a monday a year or so ago but i didn;t hold it against him.
I called him last week about buying some tires and the guy sat and talked to me for 20 minutes on what tires would be right for me. Explained all my options, how each tire was in the rain, his advice and expereince with them, and after that I was ABOUT to make a purchase on new PS2 tires but Jon said let me call around and see if I can find you some good used PS1 tires before you spend all the money on New PS2's. (the reason is because i'm going on a road trip and I run BFG drag radials any other time so these are only for this road trip)
PLus he's military friendly and give us overseas folks good deals. :)

JON ~ Any word on those tires yet?

4chenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I called Jon on a Monday once and he was very nice to explain that Mondays are not days he can chat. I sent an email to him instead this weekend and received an email from Jon this morning telling me I am better off getting the part from my local Dodge dealer. That is honesty in action. Oh, and he gave me the part number too. Thanks Jon!

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the old style Borla and love it. Apparently the new Borla does not sound as good. I "think" you can still get the old model? I am not a fan of the Corsa. The Random Tech is supposed to sound similar to the Borla. The best sounding car I have heard had a full Bellanger setup...headers/cats/exhaust. That car sounded down right MEAN and WONDERFUL.

If money was no object, Bellanger all the way.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've experience a little crabby Jon on a monday a year or so ago but i didn;t hold it against him. .......
PLus he's military friendly and give us overseas folks good deals.

JON ~ Any word on those tires yet?

Since you have some more TIME Im still looking for 60+% USED tires. I have 40s only.

PS: Any one here, esp Partsrack customers, have 2 good rear 18" PS-1s 70% tread ?
PartsRack will pay you or trade you and well settle up with JF.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Everybody has their opinion to be sure, but I'll throw mine in as well. The first Viper that I test drove and almost bought had the Borla exhaust. Sounded good, but when I got my Viper I put the Random Tech exhaust on and was blown away! Sounds amazing! PartsRack has a sound clip on their site. Nifty. On the other topic, I have always had A+ experiences with JonB and PartsRack.

EXACTLY! I even baited him that since he's in GA, he'd get cheap or NO shipping charges from Random in GA if he made that choice.

Thanks Mac

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Triple, if you want the Mopar performace Borla system go to mopartsracing.com, and if you give them a call ask for Lawrence, he is one of the top mopar performance dealers in the nation and he sells out of Gainsville, Ga. I bought my exhaust from him and many other parts for my muscle cars. I promise he will have the best prices around. If you have any other questions just send me a message.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte