Can't refuel my RT?

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can\'t refuel my RT?

01 RT wont accept any gas even when the tank is 1/2 full? Is the Check valve in the tank stuck closed? Anyway to fix this? The gas pump/Nozzel just shuts off even if you barely squeez it? I can't even get 1/10 of a gallon in now? Any vents or something closed? Its so annoying to refuel. Was working fine now just happened.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: Can\'t refuel my RT?

Try turning the nozzle around about 180 degrees, then insert it and see if that helps.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I knew those disposable cameras were a bad idea.
You must've gotten one of those one time disposable Vipers.
They cost a little less to buy, but only run on the original fill and that's it.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same problem at the same gas station. It didn't matter how much I pulled the nozzle out, it still shut off. I just went to a different station and it worked without issues. (I think it was a Total?!?!)

greatbeyond

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had exactly the same problem. Turn her off (ignition) and try refueling; should work fine.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RT/10s can be very slow fillers. I don't believe you will ever be able to fill it at full steam. Turning the nozzle around seems to work a little..... Maybe because you're turning the air hole on the nozzle to the up position. The easiest way I've found to get it to take gas again--when it won't--is to drive for a little ways and stop again for gas. Seems to clear out the breather line to the tank.

With the nozzle turned around, inserted in the tank just past the flap, and pumping about a gallon every 20 seconds or so, I can always get it to the top which on our car is about 2-3 needle widths past the full bar.

Steve

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The max allowed fill rate is 10 gal/min, although 3-5 is more typical. Early click-off happens when the bleed hole at or near the nozzle gets fooled because liquid enters it too soon. Often it's because the end of the nozzle has been bent from sticking it into so many gas tanks and gasoline exiting the nozzle sprays wildly in the filler tube, occasionally into the bleed hole. Can only try another nozzle.

For chronic car problems, it's because of a longer fill tube and/or a horizontal run. You can only fill slower. I don't think there is a check valve on the fill tube, only on the vent connected to the charcoal cannister (rollover valve.)

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On a related matter, I always pull on the side of the pump that allows the right side of my car to be the highest point. Many of the gas stations here are not flat!

OP
OP
N

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, Either way, it was working fine before, now I can barely squeeze anything into it. I prefer refueling at the 1/2 tank mark, but I can't get more than 2 gallons in before I get so frustrated I leave. I litterally want to try a long large funnel and a 6 gal spare tank but I am afriad of spilling some on the car. I always refuel with the car shut off but have not tried the nozel reversed 180. Will try that.

Well for what its worth, at $2.78 a gallon here in CT, I guess I shouldn't be complaining I can only fit 2 gal in.

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just ran into the same problem with my 2000gts yesterday, I think that the pump was set to high of volume. I would just barely pull the trigger and it would stop, turned the nozzle at the 12 oclock position and it filled with trigger all the way pulled in.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like a stuck roll-over valve.....if trying a different gas nozzle doesn't work then you may have to replace the valve. Believe the tank has to come out (on and RT only) in order to change that puppy. :eek: