Depreciation of driving car 1150 miles - vs shipping - '08 Viper conv?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say ship it down. Don't wanna get caught in some kind of storm ( like snow since you are starting in ohio). Just ship it.

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes enclosed trailer ... and thanks all for input - I am sorry I did not clarify all of the conditions to begin with.

I may be able to alter when I leave (to fit weather) and hence the original post regarding depreciation.

Is not a 3000 mile car worth more than the apprx $700 difference (when all is "said & done" with GAS, FLY BACK, HOTEL, MEALS, etc) than a car with then 4200 miles on it? I thought it would be ... and therefore "in the end" monetarily more worth it to ship it (vs depreciating it 1200 more miles worth) ... especially with the net difference being about $700 or less, and avoiding the extra time to come back for other car.

I think I also fear some giant rock from a semi being thrown on the car, the way those semis barrel down the road, despite any weather, through that route (the I-77 part anyway).

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No.. to me a 3000 miles and 4200 miles, are the same car.. I'm not big into the mileage always = condition theroy. In fact, the exact opposite is true sometimes.

I had a 15,000 mile Viper that you could park next to brand new car, and I've seen 3,000 mile Vipers completely beat to hell, repainted,etc.. Condition!! is the most important, for resale.

It all comes down to careful drviving.. If your careful how your drive, your car will make it down to Florida w/o one single scratch or nick.. Or your weaving, scraping driveways, riding behing tractor trailers. Then yes, you'll most likely get some chips.

Drive the darn car. Forget the weather.. thats what the weather channel is for. Just leave Ohio when its clear, and you'll be in Warn weather in what? 17 hours or so..

When you get older and no longer have the Viper, what do you want to tell people... Yeah, I had a Viper (or 2), but I kept them inside all the time. LOL

Last edited:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should car be DRIVEN 1150 miles for about $150 in gas ... or shipped for $950? Has 3000 miles on it - '08 conv - Viper Blue.

I think you would depreciate the car MORE by driving it, than the $800 cost difference ... and by A LOT in my opinion.

Anyone have a COMPELLING argument for driving or shipping?

If you're that worried about it, keep it where it is and ask for your money back. Drive the damn thing and dont worry about the thousand miles.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive mine from Hollywood Florida to Ellijay Georgia 750 miles twice a year. My car now has 20k on it DRIVE IT!!!!!!! or I will buy yours someday.:drive:

This is my plan. Bought mine in Montreal, drove home 350 miles at Thanksgiving time. Only flurries. Will pass 100K miles soon. :drive:

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drive it! Just watch the weather - avoid snow and ice, rain won't hurt it!

My '04 just turned 54,000 and makes multiple 1300 one way tripos each year. I did install cruise to avoid tickets. Enjoy your ride!

Last edited:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should car be DRIVEN 1150 miles for about $150 in gas ... or shipped for $950? Has 3000 miles on it - '08 conv - Viper Blue.

I think you would depreciate the car MORE by driving it, than the $800 cost difference ... and by A LOT in my opinion.

Anyone have a COMPELLING argument for driving or shipping?

***?! It's a car, right? What do you do with cars? You DRIVE them! Geez?! :crazy2:

If you are so worried about whether the depreciation might be a little more than the $800 shipping cost, maybe you shouldn't be buying the car at all, as you seem to be a little too tight on funds.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not wanting to put miles on your car is like saving your girlfriend for the next guy.

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMO, drive it home if weather isn't a problem.

Drove my Viper home from Dallas,,,,great experience.

If you decide to ship,,go with :2tu: Reliable Carriers or a shipper recommended from people on this board > too many transporters out there are "self insured" and any damage claims may go into "pis$ing into the wind" category.

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Drive it or dont buy it yuo could save alot of $$$$$ if you just buy a matchbox and put it in your garage that wont go down in value . Drive it yopu could be dead tomorrow , DRIVE IT LIKE U STOLE IT .

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bet when you drive it for the 1150 miles you wish you had cruise control....a lot of people on this site disagree, but on the interstate cruise is the only way to go...my $.02

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take weather in condsideration more than anything, especially this time of year.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it probably depreciated more since the beginning of this thread than it would have if you drove it home......

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Dad wanted to get a XKE Jag when we were Stationed in London, early 60 s,(I was 11) Free shipping etc. My mom said no!! For the next 40 yrs I wanted my Dad to have that car so badly. The window of opportunity closed finally when his health sealed the deal(then died in 1999). It is your decision whether to drive but our windows are all closing, wonder how fast...:drive:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want to drive a Viper in Dec. through WV mountain area.

Trust me, been there/done that, I ended up trailering the last 30 miles, got stuck on one of the mtns in a Z06 driving back from VIR, it was early December too haha.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depreciation? Maybe someday these cars will fetch what a 63 Vette does, but until then, let's see, I have about $120k in mine, and could maybe sell it for 45k right now? That's not a very good investment. I have 30k miles on it now. Counting the cost of original car and mods, and gas and insurance, this car probably costs me $5/mile to drive it. If weather is good drive it. Drive it period, unless you are going to buy 3 Vipers, and have one for storage, one for driving, and one for racing.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it probably depreciated more since the beginning of this thread than it would have if you drove it home......

Now that's funny, right there!

Why not park it there for the winter, find a storage facility, would cost less than shipping or driving.
I wonder, why did you bring it up there in the first place, assuming you bought it in FL.? That would mean about half the milage was put on just in that one trip? Shamefull to hear of car abuse like this.
(Disregard if you bought it in OH.:D)

Last edited:

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars depreciate no matter what - if it's a car you bought to drive, drive it...though an 1800-mile drive in this car is brutal...especially if you're pounding the slab just to get it home. Viper's aren't investments...unless maybe you're buying a 2010 ACR limited edition (1 of 33) to keep under a cover and not drive for 20+ years...and it'd be a big "maybe" at that.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I finally need to weigh in on this. My opinion about (unnecessary) mileage is, that it depends on why you bought your car.

If you have (many) other cars to drive, then the Viper is more of an occasional fun drive on a sunny Sunday. This is how I bought my car. As some of you know I bought my car last May with 5,200 miles, car was rarely driven by its Boca owner, as he had many other cars. I too have other cars that I use daily, and tend to lean towards not putting extra miles on the car - car now has 6,400 miles, as I do attend an occasional VCA event.

I do feel that mileage definitely does impact depreciation, which is a different subject then whether you like to drive your Viper alot or not.

Low mileage cars clearly carry more value over time. So, when we decided to buy this car, it seemed totally unnecessary to fly down and drive the car all the way back. Then, as it turned out, I needed to immediately replace all four tires as they were the original "hockey pucks"

Just one person's opinion

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cars depreciate no matter what - if it's a car you bought to drive, drive it...though an 1800-mile drive in this car is brutal...especially if you're pounding the slab just to get it home. Viper's aren't investments...unless maybe you're buying a 2010 ACR limited edition (1 of 33) to keep under a cover and not drive for 20+ years...and it'd be a big "maybe" at that.

I wouldn't consider an 1800 mile Viper drive brutal!

I have driven individual daily stretches of 1000 miles without any discomfort. It is a lot more comfortable than similar summer rides in '61 and '69 Corvettes (both wo/AC and w/factory side pipes). I have cruised over 4000 miles over 9 more than once and always found it a pleasure!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i picked my car up in nebraska and drove it home like 1400 miles to NJ.
i drove it to so fla 4 times (1300 miles each way) and back 3 times (shipped it home last time due to time)

these cars are a pleasure to drive long distance. try it before ya knock it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235