Happy ending to Insurance Claim

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, after nearly 3 weeks of haggling with GMAC adjustors over my totaled 99 ACR, I finally reached a happy settlement amount today.

Started at 36k, and with the help of Jon at Partsrack, Bernie @ BJ Motors, and a couple individuals who faxed me their window stickers, I was able to reach a settlement agreement of 48k. I am very happy with this and should be able to replace the car with this amount. :headbang:
One point Jon made in particular helped me get 4k extra for the car (used adding sales tax as negotiation technique) and that made a huge difference. My car had 42k miles so I was having trouble finding adequate comparables.

Thanks to everyone for their help! Will be posting photos of a new car hopefully soon! :drive:

V

Venomiss

Congratulations and really glad your story had a "happy ending".:2tu:
We'll be waiting for pictures!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats, good luck with your search for a replacement. Looking for another Black/silver or are you flexible?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Knowledge is power. I got my car paid for plus more when I wrecked. (much more, but it had a lot of documented work done on it.)

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they added sales tax to increase the settlement? So..... do you have to pay sales tax on the vehicle you purchase to replace it? I would hope that you received $48K for your ACR... plus sales tax.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there are any tips you picked up in the process that are generic (i.e. not specific to your car or situation) please pass 'em along if you have time.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear things are gonna work out. Whatever you find, if the 48K isn't enough, Is the one responsible for totaling your car in the first place gonna make up the difference??:dunno: my 2/100.:D
Chip
AL/TN President:headbang:

VIPowER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very pleased things worked out well. Get a replacement soon and join us for the fall cruise. Joe

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they added sales tax to increase the settlement? So..... do you have to pay sales tax on the vehicle you purchase to replace it? I would hope that you received $48K for your ACR... plus sales tax.

I'm really glad this worked out jpa !!!!
Malcoll, The sales tax would have been for the car that was totaled. I did a BoxterS and I forget if it was on the purchase amount or the value insurance paid off.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got a fair amount for your car. For the next viper I would suggest getting an agreeded upon value policy from Hagarty or Grundy. I have a policy with Grundy for 50K on my 99RT/10 and I pay a little under $800 per year on it.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sales tax would be prepaid in the settlement to cover the sales tax he'll probably have to pay on the purchase of a new vehicle..... assuming that in his state they charge a sales tax on the purchase of used vehicles between private parties.

In most jurisdictions that I have managed insurance claims in, the state charges sales tax on the purchase of a vehicle. Thus, the insurance carrier should determine the value of the total loss vehicle (the cost to purchase the replacement vehicle), then add sales tax and transfer fees as the insured will incur those costs on the purchase price of the replacement vehicle.

Thus, if the value of the vehicle is $48,000, then you should receive the $48,000 plus sales on that $48,000.

I am glad it worked out, and he's pleased with the outcome, I was just pointing out that if he has sales tax that will be due in his jurisdiction, he'll have that much less to consider as the "purchase price" of the replacement vehicle.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they aren't going to raise your rates then? Not a very happy ending if you are paying more on insurance for your friend's actions...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, after nearly 3 weeks of haggling with GMAC adjustors over my totaled 99 ACR, I finally reached a happy settlement amount today. Started at 36k, and with the help of JonB at Partsrack, Bernie @ BJ Motors, and a couple individuals who faxed me their window stickers, I was able to reach a settlement agreement of 48k. I am very happy with this .....One point JonB made in particular helped me get 4k extra for the car.....

Glad to be of help, and thanks for being a PartsRack Customer.

P.S. One of our customers (in LA) has a USAA Insurance ARBITRATOR meeting with PartsRack next week here in OREGON. We are negotiating on his behalf due to a lowball offer he received on his SRT10 in LA. We are goin to splain the fax of Viper life to her.......[She wanted to schedule on a MONDAY but Id have to drive my CERBERUS SUV........ Stay Tuned........]

Last edited:

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news! Please document your insurance payout so that future unfortunate viper owners can use your experience as a precedent.

48k for a high milage ACR isn't bad.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the recovery. Sounds like you did a great job and actually got what the car was worth. Good to hear. WIll only help others if they find themselves in a similar circumstance.

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also pleased to help with your claim. I am glad it ended up with the numbers that is great for the Viper and your beginning of searching for a new one. Good Luck and Congrats.

Bernie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine