1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightweight flywheel and new clutch

Discussion in 'Performance Modifications' started by speedchangesyou, Dec 28, 2020.

1. speedchangesyou

speedchangesyou Enthusiast

We have been thinking about a lightweight flywheel and new clutch would really appreciate anyone who has had experience with this.

Thanks

Chuck

2. Frank Parise

Frank Parise VCA Venom Member Venom Member

Used a Tilton triple disc racing clutch with lightweight flywheel in a couple different road racing Vipers. Would not recommend for street application because you will burn up the clutch with normal street driving/clutch slipping. Revs much quicker/ takes some getting used to.

3. David Buchesky

David Buchesky Enthusiast

I would recommend some foot protection with anything other than stock parts. Your foot is adjacent to the flywheel. Bad situation if the flywheel comes apart.

4. Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers Enthusiast

The single cone synchro T56 doesn't have enough synchro force to shift easily at high rpm. (hence the double and triple cone synchros) Are there any multiple clutch setups that would mitigate that issue?

5. Dan Cragin

Dan Cragin Enthusiast

The lighter the lighter the clutch and flywheel, the better the shift at higher rpm. There are several setups out there that shave off 17-25 pounds, that's about as light as you want to g on a street setup in my opinion.

Spec makes me a dual disc setup, organic, sprung hubs with an aluminum flywheel that works really nice. Soft pedal, good engagement and light. It will take almost twice the torque of the production setup.