Replace Blk Mamba with 08? Your thoughts please!

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently own (since new) 2004 Black Mamba, perfect condition, 2400 miles. I know, garage queen but when the weather is nice I tend to be on bikes and the Viper never sees rain, hibernates all winter. No Mods except MGW short shifter and bright bezels on gauges.

Saw a new 08 red vert that I fell in love with. Red is not my first color choice but this car with white stripes has got me. She's hot, hot, hot!!!

Don't really want to mod the Mamba much (gears, exhaust and intake if she stays). Will drive the 08 next week. In the mean time I'm going nuts thinking about it.

Folks who've owned Gen 3 and now have 08, please weigh in! This is a tough one and your thoughts will help add perspective as I work through this "no loose" decision.

Unfortunately, I missed the SSG. Saw one and freely admit I am jealous of y'all that scored them (especially with white stripes). I know it's bad to envy, but who among us is without flaw?

Thanks in advance to all who weigh in.
Rob

Reaction score
I may be in the market for a Mamba, I always have liked them. I don't have much money but if it is in great shape you never know, maybe the wife will ALLOW me to indulge a bit. PM me with details and what you think you need out of her.

Thanks,

pcc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey that 08 sounds like the one that I ordered then had to cancel because they could not guarantee delivery. But they did ultimately get the car. I ordered from another dealer who guaranteed delivery and that car will be in my hands in 2 weeks.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the 08 in a heartbeat,if you want an ssg there out there ck with bill pemberton and online.08 is worth the upgrade from yours,i have never regret getting into my 08 from 06 .good luck

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fellow JERSEY guy.Stop over at Buhler GSP exit 105 over 12 different 08 available .Also if you looking for something preowned i am looking to move my venom RED 08 roadster(1200 )miles which i will give you a great deal on (fall season coming i am more of a coupe guy )Feel free to call me at (732) 977-7244.Thanks Joe.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly if your only putting 600 miles in the viper per year, its not feasible to sell your mamba and upgrade to the 08. The mambas are really nice, and you rarely drive it.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A fellow JERSEY guy.Stop over at Buhler GSP exit 105 over 12 different 08 available .Also if you looking for something preowned i am looking to move my venom RED 08 roadster(1200 )miles which i will give you a great deal on (fall season coming i am more of a coupe guy )Feel free to call me at (732) 977-7244.Thanks Joe.
PS mid 70s or so takes my 08

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i happened to stop by the local harley store today.. they were having the national ride to the factory or something....Anyways the local "****** girls" were cleaning bikes...the owner of the store had the girls come around the front for some pics of the 08 viper red with the girls...wish i had my camera...i did recieve two marriage proposals from the ladies and one girl who said she would do anything for a ride.......maybe i should take the viper red to *******.....

Anyways i've owned gen 3 and 08...the 08 just fits me better on all fronts....good luck with u're decision...

v131.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your thoughts. Also, I will get back to all the folks who've PM'ed me about the car by Wednesday evening. Am working on a massive project on the job (hence this 2 am post) and will be ******* in all day meetings with evening committments during the early part of the week.

pteam, it is a tough decision because the car is absolutely pristine. Just got the itch and saw the "right" car. The SSG and ACR's also get my blood pumping. Couldn't find one on a lot in the area (NJ,NY, PA).

This is a tough decision and your inputs are appreciated. I guess I'll have to do a "seat of the pants" test. Will let y'all know where I end up.

Best,
Rob

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a tough decision and your inputs are appreciated. I guess I'll have to do a "seat of the pants" test. Will let y'all know where I end up.

Best,
Rob

If you do the seat of the pants test, your decision will be easy....you'll buy the 08.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob: As you know, we had an '05 we sold, then bought the '08..we also have an '08 Hayabusa 1300GSX-R...so you KNOW we love speed/acceleration~! For seat of the pants feel, the '08 outperforms the '05!! YOU FEEL IT!!!! Good Luck in your decision! ~juli

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally drove the 08 and can only say "WOW". Although my Black Mamba is my first and is pristine, I think I'll get an 08 as long as I get a decent price on the 04. She'll be on e-bay hopefully this week after getting back from the dealership, oil change and a mechanical once over for good measure. She's up to 2500 miles now. Hoping the 7/70 and her condition/low miles helps with a quick sale.

pcc, believe the red vert is indeed the car you ordered. You have good taste!

Juli, Smog Dog, Adamlotus, Wallbanger.....you were right about my test drive. Thanks for responding. Pteam, you indeed make perfect sense and appreciate your thoughts but I'm lost in an emotional fog!

So red/white stripes vert is were I think I am although there is also a VVV coupe sitting next to it...Hmmmmmm.

Drove an orange vert, didn't look good under showroom lights, looked great in the sun. Orange isn't really my color and the red calipers don't go well, needs black calipers.

Will let y'all know how it turns out!

Rob

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you had a good drive there! Good luck in your decision...decisions, decisions...aren't you glad there ARE choices????! ~juli

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hayabusa - were you able to go for a test drive at a dealer or was it someone else's car? i would like to test out an '08 but not sure I will find a dealer who will let me take it out for a quick drive. I am in Northern NJ area.

Thanks!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hayabusa - were you able to go for a test drive at a dealer or was it someone else's car? i would like to test out an '08 but not sure I will find a dealer who will let me take it out for a quick drive. I am in Northern NJ area.

Thanks!
Call Darren Buhler 732-544-5515.Probably has 12 or so 08s in stock GSP105

snakebite52

Viper Owner
Reaction score
buhler has less then 12 because one of those twelve is my garage lol.
right now buhler doesnt have many colors
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great - thanks for the lead

Dealerships that have several Vipers in inventory have always allowed me a test drive. Some are 3-4 miles, others have been much longer and unproctored. Respect the sales staff, respect the car, exude a level of seriousness about purchasing and behave with a level of maturity (although it's tough not to get giddy) and you should get to drive.

Remember to respect the car if you haven't driven a snake before! Good luck & enjoy!

Thanks all for PM's and 08 inventory notes. After my Mamba finds a new home I'll be on an 08.

Best,
Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4