Should an 05' SRT be getting 10 mpg?

ESBEsq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all; I got a 2005 SRT-10 2 months ago and I just found out about this forum. I heard that this is the place to go in order to learn everything there is to know about the Viper; so here I am.

Anyway, I've been getting around 10 to 12 mpg on my Viper and I simply can't beleive that this is right. I had it smogged the other day and it passed the CA emission requirement so I figure it's running properly otherwise it probably woudn't have passed. What's strange is, I get about 80-85 miles upto the first quarter tank mark; then at half tank, I've driven about 110-120 miles; but by the time the light goes on, I'm at or around 185 miles. I've calculated it several times based on the miles I've traveled and the amount of fuel I end up pumping and it's like 12 mpg.

What's worse is that I drive it primarily on the freeway. I have a 30 mile round trip everyday and most of it is spent on the freeway where I keep it in 6th doing about 75-80 mph at or near 1500rpm. I haven't been racing it or anything just so I can see how many miles I can get out of it and the best I've ever done is a little over 12 mpg.

Is this right? I've heard from many Viper owners that they're getting around 20 mpg on the highway and about 15 in the city - which I would be VERY happy with. Could it be the 91 octane fuel out here in CA or what? If so, what should I do - grin and bear it?

ANY help will be greatly appreciated. :2tu:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the club.

Driving my 05 SRT-10 home from NC. I got 23 miles to the gal in 6th gear @ 80mph. All hwy.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be getting 15-20; I can eke out 22 on the freeway with careful driving. You should get around 300 miles to a tankful. If you were driving it hard pretty much of the time then what you are getting would be normal.

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get horrible gas milage and my rear tires wear faster then my fronts. I can't figure out what the problem is?

On a serious note, I guess I can't add much to the thread as I've never really paid attention to it. Other then it seems like I have to fill up constantly.

Jason

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my RT but have come to the conclusion that it is normal. I had just about every single test known to man run on the car as well as changing just about every part in the car. I usually get about 200 miles on a tank and my gauge says empty, usually with 5 or so gallons left in the tank.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten anywhere from 18-21 with mine on longer highway trips driving at about 75-80. I also have 3.55 gears

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For me it's about the same, 10 to 12 mpg in city driving, and around 23 mph on the highway.

Short shift to save more fuel. It's generally thought you do better with a lot of throttle at low RPM than moderate throttle at high RPM.

Driving around Santa Monica wasn't too much like freeway driving to me, more stop & go on the 405, day, night, weekend didn't seem to matter.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish I could get 10mpg. lol , I average about 7-8 mpg on my weekend driving. I drove to L.a once , about 350 miles and averaged 20 mpg doing about 80 mph in 6th gear.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Please sell now. Chevy makes a great car in the Vette. Gets great gas mileage. Just what you are looking for. Let someone who appreciates gobs of Torque enjoy your car.........:drive:

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please sell now. Chevy makes a great car in the Vette. Gets great gas mileage. Just what you are looking for. Let someone who appreciates gobs of Torque enjoy your car.........:drive:
Did he say he didn't like his Viper? Not a hint of it. As a new Viper owner he is just curious as to what kind of gas mileage he should be getting. BTW, real helpful information.

Welcome to Viperclub. Some of us are a little more welcoming.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ESB,

Welcome to the club. For those that don't know the area, Santa Monica is traffic city, kinda like inside other big cities.

Mileage will improve when you get out of the lower gears and get the car out of town.

I get about 13 mpg in my Vipers around town. Freeway can be as high as 22 so far (trip to Palm Springs).

Come on out to our Dyno Day at DC Performance on July 14 and meet some local club members. Check our local website for more info: www.socalviper.com

Dan:headbang:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome

With my SC Viper I get around 17 on the highway and 10 or below around town. If I get into the SC-gulp gulp. But I am enjoying every mile driven.

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd start with the simple stuff: air filter, spark plugs, plug wires (AB makes some awsome ones).

If those seem the be in order, maybe you should release your e-brake?:D

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guessing I am getting 8 to 10 miles per gallon city. Also I dont like loafing around in 6th gear on the highway unless it is a really long trip so highway miles is probably between 12-15 mpg.

Why worry after all it is 505 cubic inches.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am guessing I am getting 8 to 10 miles per gallon city. Also I dont like loafing around in 6th gear on the highway unless it is a really long trip so highway miles is probably between 12-15 mpg.
Why worry after all it is 505 cubic inches.

Ditto, Ditto....juli

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does one spend $90,000.00 on a street legal race car like the viper and then worry about gas mileage. If you can afford the viper then you can afford the gas bill. I get 15 mpg in all around driving and I beat on it all the time as it was made to be driven. I drive 80 mph on the highway in 4 th and never use 5 th or 6th. In Ct we are running E10 fuel so I use ValveTec Octane Enhancer, http://www.valvtect.com/products04.asp, which eliminates any ping as 2003 vipers do not have knock sensors. There is a huge power improvement and I get better fuel mileage with the ValveTec.

ValvTect Octane Performance Improver ValvTect Octane Performance Improver (OPI) is a patented combustion modifier, detergent/dispersant technology that is specially formulated for heavy-duty, high performance marine engines. ValvTect's OPI technology allows marine engines to operate at peak power and performance by improving the engine octane performance, and preventing premature engine wear. A premium detergent cleans up & keeps clean the entire fuel system including combustion chambers, intake valves, port fuel injectors, and carburetors to keep engines running in "like new" condition.
Regular use of ValvTect Octane Performance Improver helps to:
  • Improve octane performance up to 5 numbers.
  • Improve engine power.
  • Improve fuel economy.
  • Reduce operating costs.
  • Provide more complete combustion.
  • Provide quicker and smoother acceleration.
  • Improve piston cleanliness.
  • Reduce valve seat wear.
  • Prevent exhaust valve sticking.
  • Prevent loss of compression.

Robbie

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas gauges in Vipers typically read this way. Full to 3/4 is really about 1/2 way to empty. Gauge drops rapidly after that. It is not unusual to have several gallons still in the tank when the gauge reads empty and the light comes on.

Don't measure mileage by your gauge. You must divide miles driven by gallons used to get an accurate reading.

I was getting 22 mpg driving to the track, but only 2.2 mpg at Button Willow or Willow Springs.

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have to chime in . . . . i have a 2006 SRT convertible and i have not done any real calculations, BUT, i don't get more than 200 miles on a tank if i REALLY, REALLY TRY!!!!!!!!!! more often i am looking at 120 miles per tank. i see some people above saying 20, 22, 23 mpg. i can't get those numbers even on the highway, at 80mph, in 6th gear!

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't paid it much attention. I do fill up a lot though, guess thats why they charge us a gas guzzler tax when purchasing new.;)

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does one spend $90,000.00 on a street legal race car like the viper and then worry about gas mileage. If you can afford the viper then you can afford the gas bill.
Robbie

I don't think his post has anything to do with the money. I think the gentleman is simply trying to figure out if there is anything wrong with his car.

I've had cars that went from getting 20 mpg to 10 mpg over the course of a year. That was a good indication that I had an issue with the car other than my right foot. That's when you begin checking plugs, plug wires, 02 sensors, fuel filters, etc. It wasn't about the money, it was about using fuel economy as a way of determining if there was some other issue with the car.

I don't think it's appropriate to jump on the guy for asking a question about gas mileage when he's simply trying to make sure that his car is normal and running like everyone else's.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas gauges in Vipers typically read this way. Full to 3/4 is really about 1/2 way to empty. Gauge drops rapidly after that. It is not unusual to have several gallons still in the tank when the gauge reads empty and the light comes on.

Don't measure mileage by your gauge. You must divide miles driven by gallons used to get an accurate reading.

I was getting 22 mpg driving to the track, but only 2.2 mpg at Button Willow or Willow Springs.

2.2? DAMN!

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what my gas mileage is and I do agree that the gauge seems to be off and I do seem to fill it up alot.

Just for the record though, the window sticker says 12/20 for mileage. You know how optimistic these numbers are from the manufacturer so 10 mpg seems right. I hope I'm getting that!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are there so many morons not willing to answer this guys question? Do some of you have some chromosomes out of whack? I remember a Gen II question that was similar and there were little to no smart a_ _ answers.

Some of you guys are turning into Roofum or Snakes......Happening more, and more. Scary stuff.