• The hood with six distinct vents as shown on the blue SRT model

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • The hood with the single pair of vents as shown on the dark red GTS model

Votes: 41 32.5%

• Total voters

VIPER Magazine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the latest VIPER magazine cover showing two distinctly different hoods on the SRT and the GTS models, which one floats your boat the most? Granted, opinions may change when you see them in person, but what are your initial impressions?

Viper_April_2012_Cover.jpg

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a feeling most people are gonna go with the SRT hood. GTS hood is just too plain and not mean enough.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So far I actually like the GTS hood better. I would need to see them in person though.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The base model hood and blacked out headlights look better. All they need to do is offer a body colored grill and it will be perfect.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS-R. :D

At first I did not like the big, deep cutouts of the GTS. But they have grown on me. The SRT style is something I am comfortable with already maybe thats why I instantly liked it better.

But the GTS-R looks filthy good. So the GTS hood must be good.

But I do like the SRT hood too. :hmmm: And the GTS is not bad either now that it has been crawling in under my skin..... And the GTS does look like it flows air better......

But that does not answer the question.

Signed,

Humpty Dumpty (still on his wall, but intends no fall, even if he is clumsy :D)

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT hood FTW. And on side note the SRT wheels are MUCH better than the GTS wheels too. In fact the blue SRT is the best example of the Gen 5 Ive seen yet. Now I want one!!!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The six vents by FAR over the modest pair. There will be tons of options to configure a new car with later this year and anyone ordering just a base model will probably wished they had ponied up for the GTS shortly after the purchase.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on a side note....

As I have always liked the Ford GT40 style hood with the deep vents as is the GTS version (not quite as animated as the Fords) wish it was, I would say I have to like the GTS hood as I am hopeing that SRT works with this style in the future and brings out the slots and vent in a more pronounced version.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I want the race car hood AND front end AND . . . . Get the idea? Looks as close to the race car as possible and still be a street car.

Idea, why not buy an extra hood and be able to switch back and forth as the spirit moves you? :2tu:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I voted for the New hood. The Vents in the SRT model are very functional but have been used since 2003 and a new hood is a breath of fresh air. The older hood flows in a straight line where the new hood wraps around the front end and flows down either side. You can not go wrong with either.

Bruce

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this one!!! :2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

And Robert... thanks that enlightening input on the sunbject... Duurrh! :dunce:
:lmao:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I want the race car hood AND front end AND . . . . Get the idea? Looks as close to the race car as possible and still be a street car.

Idea, why not buy an extra hood and be able to switch back and forth as the spirit moves you? :2tu:

Because for the same money you could probably buy a Dart instead!

OP
OP
VIPER Magazine

VIPER Magazine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to vote in the poll itself at the top. We are very interested to hear what you think! Thanks very much for all the opinions and votes cast thus far.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the SRT is considered the performance model, why does the hood of the race car more closely resemble the GTS? Is there a functional difference between the two hoods and if so, why would the performance variant of the viper not have the higher performing hood which I would think would be the one most similar to what the race car uses?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the SRT hood but I thought it was gonna have six vents on EACH SIDE. Either way...I still like the SRT hood. :)

02rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the 'old design' better - the new one looks too much like aftermarket design (have something similar on my 3000GT vr4) ...

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the SRT hood. The GTS hood looks good, but for some reason the SRT hood looks like it fits the car more. The gts hood has the raised scoop and the very low large vents right next to each other...which looks a bit forced into the same space. I still like the GTS hood, especially in person, but the SRT hood looks better.

Reaction score
The air ducting on the race car is less restricted then the street car so to get the better cooling/aero for the street car the needed more vent area. I personally like the GTS hood the best.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The air ducting on the race car is less restricted then the street car so to get the better cooling/aero for the street car the needed more vent area. I personally like the GTS hood the best.

Why didn't they make the street car's venting less restricted? I imagine it would help drag as well. I wish that the venting on the GTS went a little deeper like it does on the Ford GT and from the looks of it, the race car. I think that would tip the scales in it's favor.

Reaction score
I will not answer for them because honestly I don't know for sure, but generally it is a packaging issue, and they don't have those restrictions on the race cars.

Why didn't they make the street car's venting less restricted? I imagine it would help drag as well. I wish that the venting on the GTS went a little deeper like it does on the Ford GT and from the looks of it, the race car. I think that would tip the scales in it's favor.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSR Hood does not look as clown shoe ****** up and over the fenders as the both production hoods (at least from all the pictures on the net), hence that is the hood for me, less the clamps and race gear. However if I am forced to choose between SRT and GTS, then I have to pick GTS as it looks classier and more in line with the shape of the car. Note: Steve Saleen called and wants some of his gills back on that SRT Hood! That is a lot of vents space!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely have to see them both in person to make the call.
If this feedback is going to SRT, the thing I don't have to see in person, is that BOTH the GTS and the SRT need some damn fog lights like the GTSR!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper