Tell Me About the Red with Yellow Wheel Cars ?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the scoop on the Ketchup and Mustard McVipers ?

I have never seen one in person so what's the visual impact ?

Are they more or less desirable ?

Good or bad from an investment perspective ?

Any other interesting facts like the rationale for Chrysler to build them like that ?

What years and models ? Production numbers ?

Stuff like that...

Thanks

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the statistical information you requested, but I have seen a few in person. I have to tell you, good investment or not, they are F-ugly! IMHO.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In an attempt to slow down the red cars and lower insurance rates, Dodge had to build 166(?) red Vipers with yellow wheels.

That's my recolection anyway... :D

Model Year was 1996.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some love them, some hate them. Since I went to chrome early last year, seems like public opinion is split on whether the yellow or chrome looks better. FWIW, it seems as though more women like the yellow, and most guys like the chrome. Which begs the question, why I still have the chrome on? :D At carshows, a comment I heard often was "I like it because its different. I've seen Vipers before, but never a McViper". This came from Viper owners and the general public. I will say the car looks much "newer" with chrome vs. the yellow. I still like the yellow, but was just ready for a change. I may go back to the yellow when the chrome look starts to get old. The reasoning for the combo is it was Dodge's way of slapping Ferrari in the mouth. A friend dubbed my car "The Ferrari ***** Slapper" which I think is absolutely hilarious and true :D Francois Casting was the main person behind the combo being produced. The Viper Buyer's Guide has it rated 4 out of 5 stars for collectibility due to the likelihood of the wild combo being sought after in the future. As for production, they were 96' RT/10s and 166 were made. I believe some 97' GTS's were offered in the combo, but it was much less than 166. I wanna say it was under 20.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some love them, some hate them. Since I went to chrome early last year, seems like public opinion is split on whether the yellow or chrome looks better. FWIW, it seems as though more women like the yellow, and most guys like the chrome. Which begs the question, why I still have the chrome on? :D At carshows, a comment I heard often was "I like it because its different. I've seen Vipers before, but never a McViper". This came from Viper owners and the general public. I will say the car looks much "newer" with chrome vs. the yellow. I still like the yellow, but was just ready for a change. I may go back to the yellow when the chrome look starts to get old. The reasoning for the combo is it was Dodge's way of slapping Ferrari in the mouth. A friend dubbed my car "The Ferrari ***** Slapper" which I think is absolutely hilarious and true :D Francois Casting was the main person behind the combo being produced. The Viper Buyer's Guide has it rated 4 out of 5 stars for collectibility due to the likelihood of the wild combo being sought after in the future. As for production, they were 96' RT/10s and 166 were made. I believe some 97' GTS's were offered in the combo, but it was much less than 166. I wanna say it was under 20.

While I've always loved your Avitar it was not because of the yellow wheels. :D

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all... I guess I will just see if I can find one to check out... There was an RT/10 for sale within 100 miles but I never made the trip... It went pretty cheap too... I really want a gen 2 so with only 20 out there I may never see one... Although there is a GTS on ebay now...

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, I loved the Ketchup and Mustard Vipers! Looked awesome. More so when the yellow wheels were on it! :poke:

The red cars from 1997 were with gold wheels, not yellow. The only yellow wheels were on the Ferrari ***** Slapper (love the name by the way!).

As for collectability, I say higher than normal. For me, the only red car I would ever want to own as it does have some yellow on it to save you from embarrassment. :D

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The red cars from 1997 were with gold wheels, not yellow. The only yellow wheels were on the Ferrari ***** Slapper (love the name by the way!).

You were nice for the most part, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and ignore your last sentence :D But one small correction, there were actually 14 McGTS's produced in 97'. This info from the Viper registry that Mary posted a link to in her previous post.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456