10 second Paxton car

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have decided to go ahead and take the plunge and Paxtonize my Viper, and I am going to do it this summer (while I still have a little money!:D).

My goal is a 10 second capable car in the 1/4 mile, able to pull away from just about anything in a roll on. My forged internals can handle over 900 rwhp...but I dont really need to go that high. I will be changing to lighter wheels to help offset the weight increase in the nose.

My question is:

What is the best way to build a 10 second 1/4 mile Paxtonized Viper keeping my stock 3:07 rear end? I dont want power just to have power. If Jamie Furman can run 10.93 or so in a 540 rwhp Gen IV, I should be able to run at least 10 flat in a 740 rwhp car, right? What will it take to make this happen?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roe Racing makes a Twinscrew supercahrger kit for a Gen 3 now.

Since you've got forged low compression pistons you're a candidate!

My 720+RWHP Roe went 10.5@139mph on PS1s. It's much faster with the PS2s! The Paxton needs more than 750rwhp as it starts stock and then goes to big power starting at 3500rpms. A 860rwhp TT went 10.6@140mph on BFG drag radials, so think that way. My torque at 2,000rpm is up around 800rwtq and feels like full throttle at fast idle. No waiting for power - it starts strong and stays strong throughout.

However, you can add Nitrous and get the 10s out of it easily. Wait until you have traction - then hit the button.

Jamie Furman got his time after much work and waiting for perfect conditions. Many of us live at altitude and many of us only drag race once in a great while. It's also illegal to run faster than 11.5 without an approved rollbar. Then there's rollcage, firejacket, collar, funnycar rollcage, window net, scattershield, driveshaft loop, approved flywheel and clutch, etc. etc. Hopefully you know all the NHRA rules?

Jamie rents the track.

Hope this helps you out.

Ted

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really appreciate the info. Last I heard the Gen 3 Roe was shelved for a variety of reasons. Has Sean Roe now put it back into production?

10.5 on PS1's is simply killer, especially considering the way the power comes on with the Roe. Also, looks like your car beat out the 860 rwhp TT. I guess we are back to the traction issue. But UR has a TT that went 9's on street tires!! Whats up??

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sean showed his Gen 3 Twinscrew Supercharger at VOI X. You'll have to call him and see if he's ready to sell a bunch more right now or not. He's really busy since he downsized. Maybe buy early and do the instal over the coming winter?

I did read the thread that had UGR going 9.9s on street tires. Not sure if they're close to DRs or not, but I'd guess that Pilot Cups would probably be equivalent tires and I'm surprized that there isn't a whole lot of cars going 9s on street tires now that they make street tires so good. Going to PS2s amazes me because I NOW get traction in 1st gear (well sort of) and can hook the car in 2nd gear! 3rd gear (as long as I'm not going slow doesn't fishtail for hundreds of feet any longer because of the PS2s - they're amazing. My videos on youtube show amazing traction (count the seconds from 20-120mph on the 1-3rd vid, or listen to the PS2s squealing on the wet pavement in Detroit while I'm trying to drift.

Ted

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The last time I talked to Sean the Gen 3 supercharger was nowhere near ready, in fact at the time it was off the shelf. Haven't talked to him in the last month though.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drive it to UGR and let them take care of ya....

you will have a lot more than 740rwhp.....and its regulated by your right foot, so dont sweat it

your CAR should be capable of high 9's when UGR is done with it

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to remember Sean writing a thread basically saying the Gen 3 Roe is dead.

Anyway..I am simply curious as to what kind of set up the Paxton guys are using to run low 10's. If a ZR1 modded can run 10.03 there is no reason a 700 rwhp Paxton Viper should not do the same or faster...whats up?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drive it to UGR and let them take care of ya....

you will have a lot more than 740rwhp.....and its regulated by your right foot, so dont sweat it

your CAR should be capable of high 9's when UGR is done with it
Now thats *** I am talking about! :2tu:

Now Plum..I know your car is a straight up beast...can you get in the 9's or low 10's? If not...why? What do we need to do besides regulating our right foot to get there?

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now thats *** I am talking about! :2tu:

Now Plum..I know your car is a straight up beast...can you get in the 9's or low 10's? If not...why? What do we need to do besides regulating our right foot to get there?

Seat time which in turn will increase (hopefully) your driver skill. From the money stand point you spoke about, your best bet is to do the UGR build and perhaps with a water/**** kit for more power on pump, get the 930+ HP out of the car and learn to drive it one pass at a time.
Before you know it you'll be making full throttle passes and asking for more power and to be honest every Viper guy I've spoken with in the past that modded there car "just a little" regretted not doing more because they're used to the current power but don't have the $$$ to finish the job.
Are you heads still stock? If so I'd strongly recommend having a little work done to them while it's there.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seat time which in turn will increase (hopefully) your driver skill. From the money stand point you spoke about, your best bet is to do the UGR build and perhaps with a water/**** kit for more power on pump, get the 930+ HP out of the car and learn to drive it one pass at a time.
Before you know it you'll be making full throttle passes and asking for more power and to be honest every Viper guy I've spoken with in the past that modded there car "just a little" regretted not doing more because they're used to the current power but don't have the $$$ to finish the job.
Are you heads still stock? If so I'd strongly recommend having a little work done to them while it's there.
Thanks, this is great info. I know guys want power, power, power. But I just dont see many high hp Vipers doing well in the 1/4 mile passes. Maybe its driver experience, maybe its traction..I just do not know.

One thing I have noticed is in the Vette forum, they rarely post rwhp it seems. I think they are more concerned about how fast their car goes in the 1/4 mile. I know a 700, 800, 900, or even a 1000 rwhp Viper will kill the competition in a roll on. But I want 1/4 mile dominance as well as roll on...what do we need to do to get there? If its just experience, then I am not concerned cuz I drive my Viper every single day the weather is nice.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe Racing makes a Twinscrew supercahrger kit for a Gen 3 now.

Since you've got forged low compression pistons you're a candidate!

My 720+RWHP Roe went 10.5@139mph on PS1s. It's much faster with the PS2s! The Paxton needs more than 750rwhp as it starts stock and then goes to big power starting at 3500rpms. A 860rwhp TT went 10.6@140mph on BFG drag radials, so think that way. My torque at 2,000rpm is up around 800rwtq and feels like full throttle at fast idle. No waiting for power - it starts strong and stays strong throughout.

However, you can add Nitrous and get the 10s out of it easily. Wait until you have traction - then hit the button.

Jamie Furman got his time after much work and waiting for perfect conditions. Many of us live at altitude and many of us only drag race once in a great while. It's also illegal to run faster than 11.5 without an approved rollbar. Then there's rollcage, firejacket, collar, funnycar rollcage, window net, scattershield, driveshaft loop, approved flywheel and clutch, etc. etc. Hopefully you know all the NHRA rules?

Jamie rents the track.

Hope this helps you out.

Ted

Actually I got my 10 second run in my convertible the first day out with car, and the conditions were far from perfect on that particular day, slippery track and temps warmer than you usually run your best times at that track. You are correct though it was a track rental.
As a side note my 1996 GTS with nothing but a vortech s/c at 5psi and stock exhaust and stock everything else ran 10.51 at 135mph with drag radials on its first pass ever!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have decided to go ahead and take the plunge and Paxtonize my Viper, and I am going to do it this summer (while I still have a little money!:D).

My goal is a 10 second capable car in the 1/4 mile, able to pull away from just about anything in a roll on. My forged internals can handle over 900 rwhp...but I dont really need to go that high. I will be changing to lighter wheels to help offset the weight increase in the nose.

My question is:

What is the best way to build a 10 second 1/4 mile Paxtonized Viper keeping my stock 3:07 rear end? I dont want power just to have power. If Jamie Furman can run 10.93 or so in a 540 rwhp Gen IV, I should be able to run at least 10 flat in a 740 rwhp car, right? What will it take to make this happen?
It does not work as your thinking as Jamie ran 10s on stock street tires which is a whole different ballgame than running slicks.No matter the power level to run 9s on PILOTS is going to be damn near impossible (car will never hook -you will just sit there and spin the tires ).As a refenence point check out the test of Dan Blacks DLM car (back in the early 2000s )The car made over 750 to the tire BUT on PILOTS THE BEST it ran was 10.7 at around 140 .What iam trying to say is power is great but if you cant get it to the ground it doesnot matter.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keith my car is only capable of about 11.5 with ME driving it.....at best.

i cant imagine ever caring about 1/4 mile times. thats just my opinion though.

talk to brian 2manytoys, his car has the world record for a s/c viper. i think it ran 9.28 (on a slick or DR) but maybe he knows what it does on PS2's.... UGR built his car by the way

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All things considered (your location, forged internals in your car, etc) you'd be crazy not to drop your car at Underground Racing for their Paxton treatment. I have not heard ONE single complaint from their customers. Quite the opposite. They build some of the best and quickest cars on the planet. I know exactly what I'd do if I were in your shoes. :2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My question is:

A 10 second capable and a 10 flat is a large spread ;) I would venture to say a lot of that would be in your sixty foot time....so then we get into tires/track/ and then driver etc. 10 flat with 740 rwhp isn't going to happen for a lot of folks.
For a gen3 Paxton my first call would be to Doug Levin.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tony said. At Bradenton and other Viper Shootouts. 10.30-10.50 is the norm for street tires or drag radials with 800-900hp Paxton systems. I have not seen a 10.00 Paxton car unless it had NOS or slicks.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I have an appointment at UGR next week. I have been there a couple of times and Kevin and the guys are absolutely first rate guys! They are the best. I cannot wait to drop my Viper off to them and let them have at it!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tony said. At Bradenton and other Viper Shootouts. 10.30-10.50 is the norm for street tires or drag radials with 800-900hp Paxton systems. I have not seen a 10.00 Paxton car unless it had NOS or slicks.
And when you start launching that baby hard (1.3-1.4 sixty foot times)the owner had better be prepared to do a rear ,tranny ect because its not if its when .Slicks =big dollars on broken parts.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you need to make a Paxton Gen 3 go 10s? Traction. My car only has a Paxton and a catback on it (675 rwhp) and it went 11.2 @ 135 on my only visit to the track. I couldn't even floor the car until 3rd gear, this was on my 20" Nitto Invo tires. I've had previous cars go mid-10s with only 130 mph trap speeds, on drag radials. 135 mph traps are good for mid-low 10s if you can floor it in 1st-4th.

From a roll, I've beaten a few cars with 100-150 more rwhp than my car. The gearing in the Viper is excellent for highway runs.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, before you drop your car off, take it to the track. Your car should run mid 11's easily. It's very important for you to get some seat time in your car at the TRACK. Street racing from a roll is fun, but does not sharpen your skills. The last thing you want to do is to put your new UGR car into the wall.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you need to make a Paxton Gen 3 go 10s? Traction. My car only has a Paxton and a catback on it (675 rwhp) and it went 11.2 @ 135 on my only visit to the track. I couldn't even floor the car until 3rd gear, this was on my 20" Nitto Invo tires. I've had previous cars go mid-10s with only 130 mph trap speeds, on drag radials. 135 mph traps are good for mid-low 10s if you can floor it in 1st-4th.

From a roll, I've beaten a few cars with 100-150 more rwhp than my car. The gearing in the Viper is excellent for highway runs.
Exactly people just dont realize that after you get over 500 or so to the tire on Pilots there is no way to run for ET .To me( at least) the most impressive Viper run ever was Jamies 10 second pass in a STOCK car because it was done on tires that are not optimized for drag racing.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, before you drop your car off, take it to the track. Your car should run mid 11's easily. It's very important for you to get some seat time in your car at the TRACK. Street racing from a roll is fun, but does not sharpen your skills. The last thing you want to do is to put your new UGR car into the wall.
To show you just how good Furman is his blown Gen 2 with only 550 to the tire ran 10.8s on Pilots in 90 degree weather.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exactly people just dont realize that after you get over 500 or so to the tire on Pilots there is no way to run for ET .To me( at least) the most impressive Viper run ever was Jamies 10 second pass in a STOCK car because it was done on tires that are not optimized for drag racing.

1Tony1 went 10.4 on PS1s - didn't you Tony? 9.2 with slicks and Nitrous on a 750rwhp Roe?

PS2s are lousy for traction compared to PS2s and yet many of us went 10.5s with them on.

PS2s are awesome for drag racing. I have double the traction compared to PS1s. The PS2s were invented for the stock 600bhp '08 Viper. With only 600rwhp (Roe) Michelin Pilot ZPs are ...

You must be registered for see images

My 440 Duster will go 10s on Nitrous and street tires.

Ted

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To show you just how good Furman is his blown Gen 2 with only 550 to the tire ran 10.8s on Pilots in 90 degree weather.

That is excellent! My goal has always been to run 10's on street tires, but my tire has gone away 345/30-18 sport cups. I need the taller tire yet I don't want to run a Drag radial. That 10 second pass is certainly waiting on some fresh rubber and my abillity to put it all together. Anyone have a fresh set of Sport Cups (as fresh as they could be....discontinued for over a year now) they want to sell?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a thread that states that Chrysler has upgraded all the rear axles for the newer Gen 4s for their lowly 540rwhp. I just bought lightweight 1000hp rear axle shafts after twisting one of my 800hp Unitrax axles. JonB sold them to me slightly used for half price. I also bought a 900hp clutch from JonB for my car. I expect that I'll be breaking a trans or diff. next. I already have a short shifter and Fidenza flywheel in my car. I recently added Roe Racing pwr str pump Billet bracket and Roe R. metal power steering pulley as both broke in my car while driving. I'd suggest replacing yours before they break.

Ted

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey 9ball, what kind of times do u think you could achieve if you ran drag radials w/ your Paxton? Is your Z06 running better 1/4 mile times than your Paxtonized Viper? Also, how on earth are you beating cars w/ 100-150 more rwhp in a roll on? Arent roll on races really the only reason guys go to 700, 800, or up to 1000 rwhp? This high hp cars obviously do not do as well as most n/a cars in the 1/4 mile, so the roll ons must be their domain. And you are still beating higher hp cars on roll ons? I dont get it. :dunno: If the Paxtonized cars pretty much **** in the 1/4 mile for the kind of power they put down, are a pain in the ass to track due to heat and reliability concerns, and if you are beating higher rwhp cars in roll ons...WHY IN THE HELL ARE GUYS PAXTONIZING THEIR VIPERS??

Last edited:
OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is this 800-900 rhwp Paxtonized cars? If so, you mean a 540 rwhp Gen 4 can run 10.92 and a what, 638 or so rwhp Zr1 can run 10.03, but it takes a 800-900 rwhp to get a Viper in the mid 10's? I really hope you are talking flywheel hp.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keith make sure to let kevin drive your SRT paxtonized car down a track once or twice when its done.... PLEASE !

that would solve this problem of what an SRT paxton car can do.....that SOB can drive