Are the gen2's too affordable now ?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very kool...these days you can get a pretty high milage gallardo for 70K..Even my broke a$$ could afford to own one (not sure about mantanance though)...

And it would be parked in front of the gym and going through the KFC drive through just like my nsx does..Dont do those things with the viper though...

So rather a GTS for 35K or a Gallardo/F360 for 70K..It is what it is..

Just take some enjoyment in the fact that most banks wont finance a 2002 or older GTS for more than 2-3 years..So these guys are still paying big monthly payments unless they have the coin saved..

BTW...I know many people who think 35K for a car is still a lot of money...That 3 series BMW money as they would say

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i see dan lesser gets it and so do a few others.

i guess like camfab said, a bunch of car guys are going to be able to afford them now too which is great. it just seems to be more attention ****** getting into the viper for the wrong reasons that bothers me.

ted, you know what i have into my car, its a ton of money but the idiots will never know what it is or appreciate the power. its like the honda civic guy that has 600WHP smoking the guys in the viper, at the end of the day, he still drives home in a honda civic..... i get the feeling we are the same as the civic guy

i personally wouldnt buy a gallardo, its not a lambo if the doors dont go up IMO. but yes, plenty in the 70's can be found. then i have the issue with them being dog slow. so another 20K to send it to DLM for TT....(trust me, i have done my homework on this) LOL

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess the same goes for gen3's too. i just dont care since i dont have one or like them as much.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen too many "non-car guys" buying Vipers. Those kind of metrosexual guys prefer the latest BMW's and trend vehicles. The rawness of a Viper is sure to scare most of them, should they get a test drive. ***, no cupholder for my Starbucks?!

If anything, it is the guys with a lot of cash who purchase brand new cars that are less likely to be car guys. I've met dozens of these types at car gatherings, with their $100K+ brand new toys - and they didn't know a thing about the vehicles. They buy the Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo because someone told them the cars were cool. Maybe they saw one in a movie before. Maybe they like traveling fast to their manicure appointments.

Guys with lower income levels are more likely to be "car guys" and wrenchers, because they have built/maintain things out of budget necessity. Guys with lower income levels will likely appreciate things more too. Even a $30K Viper would be considered a prize, if you could barely afford it. You wouldn't be ragging it out then.

I guess I speak from experience, I grew up broke.

Tony

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I second that! Even if I got an offer for mine in the 100k range I wouldnt even think about it.

I have way more than a 100k into my car to simply give it away, and farnkly the 09-10 ACR's don't do much for me. But then again Both autoform and Venzano cuztomized my car before I took delivery with zero miles on the clock.

That my friends can't be replaced at any price, this is why I plan on keeping mine until my son is old enough to take over ownership. :2tu:

this is why im upset i too have spent ALOT of money on my car and i baught mine new for the price i could have baught a used 09 today for what i paid for my car new.. Now these kids can buy a viper supercharged and all interiors etc big money upgrades already done on the cars for a fraction of the cost it took us to build them i think we viper owners did it to our selves buy selling them so cheap....

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper owners screwed themselves when they bought a car they couldnt afford to begin with.... (like other car brands). this is why the prices are so dang low. it was panic and most of the guys selling were dumping the car to get in some cash to save their houses they couldnt afford.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum, if you really want to make your point don't burn it. Paint some dolfins on the front and put a triple wing on the back. Then they would see the error of their ways. ;)

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
i always get the feeling i should set fire to my car and let it burn to the ground when i see some stupid mods being done to a nice gen2 or guys who bought the car to be cool and get attention.. are they just too affordable now ? im far from rich, i just saved my butt off to pay cash to buy the car about 7-8 years ago cause im a diehard mopar guy that wants to go fast and beat a few guys on the roads of mexico.

it seems there are too many kids, wanna be's, guys who can barely afford a viper and non car guys buying the gen2's lately

is it me ?

this is mostly directed to the viper owners of at least 3+ years.

maybe its time to sell and get a lambo but then id probably be that guy in the lambo world....

/rant

WOW! Sounds like someone has a superiority complex. I personally worked my ass off for my Vipers. I wanted one ever since I saw my first one in college. Is it your contention, that since I'm not a millionaire that I am not worthy of such a fine automobile?:nono:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper owners screwed themselves when they bought a car they couldnt afford to begin with.... (like other car brands). this is why the prices are so dang low. it was panic and most of the guys selling were dumping the car to get in some cash to save their houses they couldnt afford.

What happened to Viper ownership has happened in motorcycle ownership in the last 20 years.

Relatively little money can buy you a crazy fast vehicle. People who can afford it (or not) jump in head first. Unfortunately, in the motorcycle world, people get killed. Here, we will see in the next few months, crashes all over the place. There will be lots less cars in the next 12 months. My prediction.

More spare parts for everyone.

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know his problem. Ya see if he had purchased a red car or (shameful) yellow he would have gotten allot of attention, but
since he is one of those few who don't like attention he chose
a car color that doesn't give him any. Your not a Virgo by any chance are you. My wife likes silver cars also.
Two ***'s in a Pod. The more attention your car gets the higher
the value? I was offered $45,000 for my Gen. II Red.
Mines all Stock (Red) FAST.

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Guys with lower income levels are more likely to be "car guys" and wrenchers, because they have built/maintain things out of budget necessity. Guys with lower income levels will likely appreciate things more too. Even a $30K Viper would be considered a prize, if you could barely afford it. You wouldn't be ragging it out then.

Tony, thanks for posting this. Reading the thread I began thinking I was too inferior to be a Viper owner. I'm not sure of some people's definition of "car guy", but I don't think you have to be mechanically inclined. I wouldn't know a catalytic converter from a fuel pump. That doesn't mean I can't love and respect a Viper.

Regarding other comments about how much everyone thinks their cars are worth, when I asked about any special value in the "last 300 side exhaust" someone commented "only if 301 people wanted them". The value of something is based on how much others are willing to pay. When selling, you can't be emotional. As sellshousesdrivesviper would probably agree, a listing agent sells a *house* and a buyers agents help buy a *home*. The listing agent tries to remove the emotional connection by using the term "house" in order to get a realistic asking price. The buyer's agent uses the emotional term "home" to help the buyer connect and make a better offer.

When I suddenly had some cash available, I was going to buy a '63-'67 Vette because I've always wanted one. However, after meeting and talking to a few VCA members, I was sold on the Viper. There are several members here who have offered me their time, help, and guidance in threads and *** and made me feel welcome. This thread isn't one of those. :irked:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil

You know I bought a way cheap GTS... I can just imagine how you feel that the Rif Raf like me can actually drive a Viper now that the price of admission is so low...:rolaugh:

I'm a car guy through and through to a fault... My nicknames were Mechanic and Charlie Chiltons(manuals) because years/decades ago :rolleyes:I could recite the specs and firing orders and anything else you wanted to know about 60s and 70s muscle cars and often had a car or two disassembled for mods in the garage. Having been shut out of the hobby by other priorities and being married to the wicked witch of the east for 20 years, my knowldge of cars is a bit dated, but I still have the passion. When I finally got back to the point where I could get a car I was looking for a 1970 SS Chevelle because that was my first car in High School. Honestly I was always more of a GM guy but since the day I saw my first Viper I was hooked. Vipers IMO are the best cars ever made at any price. I'm slowly getting my car back to prime condition and I feel that it's like preserving a piece of history. :usa: It saddens me every time one gets wrecked or molested by some foolish kid. So hopefully for every guy like you decribe there are 2 or 3 like me...

Have Faith...

Oh BTW

If you still planning to burn your car stop by tonight so we can swap engines and wheels first...:lmao::headbang:

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a car guy doesnt have to turn wrenches IMO.

i obviously cant explan what im thinking but its not necessarily a money thing. i know the title and post mention it clearly. i just hate guys who buy a car (viper in this case) to be cool, get attention etc.. or guys who do the dumbest mods and make the car look so much worse....its hard to make a viper look bad and yet some do.

phun, you are clearly a carguy IMO who should have a viper. more than me most likely.

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL@charles. this didnt pertain to you obviously and i think you know that.
PS: you can have the engine and wheels before i burn it. its going to a silver car :)

its viper molestation that bothers me !!!

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
a car guy doesnt have to turn wrenches IMO.

i obviously cant explan what im thinking but its not necessarily a money thing. i know the title and post mention it clearly. i just hate guys who buy a car (viper in this case) to be cool, get attention etc.. or guys who do the dumbest mods and make the car look so much worse....its hard to make a viper look bad and yet some do.

phun, you are clearly a carguy IMO who should have a viper. more than me most likely.

I appreciate the distinction, it just made it sound as though people who could finally afford their dream car (even if it pissed their wife off) weren't worthy of owning one if they didn't pay cash for a 70,000 dollar car. I did pay cash for both of mine, I just didn't pay that much. I can agree that I don't like them riced out, but that is the car hobby, each of our vipers are different from the other at least in some small way, whether it is just a different shifter, or a custom paint job, a 5000 dollar interior and a twin turbo set-up. That's what keeps the car enthusiast going, the ability to make his or her car their own. Personally, I've seen lots of vipers in my travels and so far, each one has been tastefully modified. I admit, I love the attention that the car affords me and the exclusivity is there too. After all, Dodge built fewer than 30,000 of these cars total, split over four generations, and each has something different to offer. With all the cars that have been wrapped around trees or otherwise destroyed, there are fewer still. It's an exclusive car to own, and you have to admit that it takes someone with means to drop 25000+ on a car that is this impractical. It's definitely not the family truckster. My 2c.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For one, as Ive stated before; we need to stop selling the Vipers for dirt cheap. I mean Gen 4s going for hight 50s, low 60s....crazy. Im currently on my third viper (not by choice, first two wrecked by others) and couldnt see parting with it. Ive worked hard to afford it and mod the baby.

I do fall into the group of owners of less then 3 yrs but I do not drive the viper for showboating, and rarely attend any cars shows (to date one VCA event and a couple locate events where the vett guys go to and i parked right inbetween them lool). In saying this I drive a viper because I enjoy it, not for pimping through the city.

PS...Phil when you get that twin turbo lambo, we have to do some rolls. Gotta see it for myself lol.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maintenance is not cheap for the Euro Exotics. I've been saving my pennies for a Lambo Diablo, and while doing so learned from a buddy of mine who has 2 and deals in Lambo parts that few parts are cheap. Example: 1 head gasket = $1000. Crazy!

IMHO, there are a couple different breeds of car guys. There's the ones that Plum hates like the ones that ghetto the cars out and make them look rediculous, or the ones that buy the car to get attention. You have ones that are like most folks on this forum, and you have the ones that want to drive it like they stole it, race them hard, and not even wash them up because they could care less about how it looks. At the end of the day, I don't really care much about what other people do to their Vipers, I only care about mine. I actually find the guys Plum's talking about quite entertaining, they amuse us without even knowing it.

Fortunately, there aren't really any bad apples in my local Viper community, else I wouldn't be involved. Nonetheless, I've never felt any ill will to the point that I want to burn my car to the ground LOL! Screw that.

Just myu $.02.

very kool...these days you can get a pretty high milage gallardo for 70K..Even my broke a$$ could afford to own one (not sure about mantanance though)...

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys must have too much time on your hands to worry about such things. They are not making any more Vipers now and assuming they start up again in a couple of years that won't be making any more of our beloved GEN II Vipers. If these non car guys are buying up many of these cars and then destroying them, that should have a net positive effect on our car prices over the long run. GEN II cars are getting rarer, not more common as obviously there are fewer on the road each year.
Enjoy your car for what it is, one of the best sports cars available, and forget about these other guys. :2tu:
PAvenomRT/10

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plum - If it makes you feel any better, I joined a group of about 21 Vipers in Richmond for a Corvette/Viper HP shootout to benefit the local Children's Hospital, and not one Viper there was pimped out looking ghetto. We did have one that was questionable, but since he's so entertaining we let him hang out with us LOL!

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If suddenly, nobody paid attention to vipers anymore... I suspect alot of folks wouldn't own them anymore.

Fortunately, I don't see that happening. LOL.

Camfab said:
The truth is that as the cars get cheaper they get into real car guys hands who love and work on their cars
Agree 100%

I know a self-proclaimed "car guy"...wears driving jacket to match his car, gloves to change an air filter, and has a personal mechanic do his custom work.

He's not a car guy.

He is a guy who has cars. :smirk:

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jay, i might have to make a run down there. if i can talk squadX into taking his car out and making the run down there with me, instead of being the garage queen he has been known to be :)

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im not even picking on that poor guy. there are a ton of guys around like i pointed out. it really does make me wanna burn mine.

i just hate guys that buy a car like this to impress others or get attention. thats why i really dont bother with any clubs anymore. there are too many non car guys now

Hey Plum...what's wrong with buying a Vipe to impress others?

I need all the help I can get to get laid. :lmao:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 rt/10 and a 99 gts. I drive them because i think i feel freeer when i drive than any other time.I always changed the oil,done tune-ups and most non-major stuff to my old musclecars,but am not able anymore. I don't drive for attention but i do like having two of the best looking cars their are. (don't see anything wrong with it)...hate to see pimped out cars of any brand. Especially Vipers or other cars that don't need it . I don't race cars anymore but i still consider myself a car guy.Always was and always will be. I see nothing at all wrong with Viper owner's who love racing their cars every week or whenever they like. I do like taking care of the way my cars look and i do like a thumb up from other car guys once in a while. Hell,their are several Vette owner's around here who wave,smile or give me a thumbs up whenever we pass on the road. I do the same whenever i see an outstanding car. I think it's just an acknowledement among true car guys myself. But the mainest most importantest thing (as Festus would say),is that i just love driving them and getting that rush of adrenalin when i feel the power of the beast! I enjoy washing,waxing and keeping them looking their best. Can a true car guy wash his car and still be one? Please say yes !
p.s. i bought them because three people i know liked them. Me,myself and i :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi