Are the gen2's too affordable now ?

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't seen too many "non-car guys" buying Vipers. Those kind of metrosexual guys prefer the latest BMW's and trend vehicles. The rawness of a Viper is sure to scare most of them, should they get a test drive. ***, no cupholder for my Starbucks?!

If anything, it is the guys with a lot of cash who purchase brand new cars that are less likely to be car guys. I've met dozens of these types at car gatherings, with their $100K+ brand new toys - and they didn't know a thing about the vehicles. They buy the Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo because someone told them the cars were cool. Maybe they saw one in a movie before. Maybe they like traveling fast to their manicure appointments.

Guys with lower income levels are more likely to be "car guys" and wrenchers, because they have built/maintain things out of budget necessity. Guys with lower income levels will likely appreciate things more too. Even a $30K Viper would be considered a prize, if you could barely afford it. You wouldn't be ragging it out then.

I guess I speak from experience, I grew up broke.

Tony

+1 on this. I bought this car because I love it, it fit my personality and was the maximum "bang for tha buck". Couldnt care less who else owns one. It is kinda sad to see a beautiful car get "pimped", but thats their prerogative.
Enjoy YOUR car,dude.
:usa:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These cars are becoming way too affordable but you don't really see them at any car lot, you have to specifically look them up because of their rarity. How many GTS were built from 96-02?

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i always get the feeling i should set fire to my car and let it burn to the ground when i see some stupid mods being done to a nice gen2 or guys who bought the car to be cool and get attention.. are they just too affordable now ? im far from rich, i just saved my butt off to pay cash to buy the car about 7-8 years ago cause im a diehard mopar guy that wants to go fast and beat a few guys on the roads of mexico.

it seems there are too many kids, wanna be's, guys who can barely afford a viper and non car guys buying the gen2's lately

is it me ?

this is mostly directed to the viper owners of at least 3+ years.

maybe its time to sell and get a lambo but then id probably be that guy in the lambo world....

/rant

Plum, just go ahead and put the Lambo doors on it and get it over with.

Ron

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just over 7,000

Ron

That's not many! I predict in about eight to ten years you won't be able to buy any Viper for less than 60k-80.I mean any! Some will be closer to 3-4 hundred k...this isn't wishful thinking. I owned about every muscle car made at one time or another,and if history is any indicater,i do believe those who keep their Vipers will be very happy they did. I ain't sellin either of mine even if their value really goes low. To old to use as an investment but young enuff to drive and enjoy!:2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not many! I predict in about eight to ten years you won't be able to buy any Viper for less than 60k-80.I mean any! Some will be closer to 3-4 hundred k...this isn't wishful thinking. I owned about every muscle car made at one time or another,and if history is any indicater,i do believe those who keep their Vipers will be very happy they did. I ain't sellin either of mine even if their value really goes low. To old to use as an investment but young enuff to drive and enjoy!:2tu:

LOL!
Thats what we said 6 years ago....

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Plum is desperately crying out for a lambo or FordGT. :D We just need to give him the support and encouragement he needs to make the switch. I offer Phil some encouragement:

You must be registered for see images

:D

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They say "you always remember your First"............Do You REMEMBER?

-The first sports car or race car you saw that made you "feel" differently about cars?
--The first one you sat in or rode in?
---The very 1st time you went 100 MPH?
----The first Winged car that you ever saw?
-----The first race event that you ever saw?
------The first auto show you ever attended?
-------The first 'adult' naked girl you ever saw?
--------The feeling you had when you bought your very first car?
---------The feeling you had when you repaired or modded your car?
---------The feelings you had when you bought your first, "favorite" car?
----------The very 1st time you turned a lap autocrossing, or on a real race track or strip?

If you do, I suspect you are a car-guy, (regardless of gender)

I remember them all ! When I bought my first Viper, back in early 1993, I FELT elements of ALL those fond memories. And it cost me more than my HOUSE had cost me. I sold 3 cars to help afford it. Now, 15+ Vipers and 17 years later, just last week I felt most of those same feelings when we did a kids charity event, and I had the distinct privilige to start a few "Car Kids" on their own forever-memories of their first or their favorite.

The pure enjoyment I get from my 09 ACR when on track is almost beyond description. Thankfully, some of you understand, without having to write or say anything.

Sadly, Plum is NOT crazy (unless he immolates his car) Try talking maintenance issues with a kid who cannot afford spark plugs or wires 'right now' or til he asks his wife.....

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yep. AND, I remember the feeling when I did my brakes the first time and they worked!

Or the guy that can't afford a supercharged Viper because his wife said, "It's $5,000 more than the ordinary one." LOL. He has a problem

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jonb, well said.

that darn revheat guy needs a talking to :)

viperjon, you taking bets on the value ?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He does hav a point on wrecked Vipers. I toasted one in the rain (lakes on highway). Guy in Williams Lake wrote off 2 Gen 3s and he said his friend went to a less powerful (easier to control) Ferrari after writing off 3.

JonB must have a pretty good guess on percentage destroyed because he buys them? and helps out with insurance claims ...

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love going fast, fast cars, been nuts over the Viper since '92 when I was only 6 years old, and know how to respect a vehicle such as the Viper. If I had the coin to buy one which I don't, I'm dead-set on a Gen I RT/10, Gen 1.5 or a Gen II '97 RT/10. I love the GTSs too, no disrespect to the GTS owners.

Still waiting to experience a ride in a TT'd Viper.

Saxon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is my castle. I do not have to be a car guy to drive a Viper or any other car. Do I have to be Casanova to be married?

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
his answer and thread for attetion shows me he is one of the reasons i wanna burn mine...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yours is a modified Viper Plum, can't compare that to an ordinary everyday Viper. Yours sounds awesome and outclasses a new one as well as costing well over $100,000. I'd love to go for a ride in your Viper Phil, but ordinary Vipers are really boring and modified Hondas can beat most stockers.

I'd never burn MY Vipers. What would I use to leave hundreds of feet of rubber on the road with? Nitrous bottles need to be shipped out of town so the Duster would only be good for huge burnouts every other week, lol.

Besides, WOT in my Sapphire GTS can be heard for more than a mile. :)

OP
OP
P

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they all look the same with the hood down...thats the problem.

the civic beats a basically stock viper and then thinks he can beat yours or mine. but i guess that goes for the TT lambo guys too against vipers....oh well.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum, I completely understand what you're saying. There's a difference between liking the car because of what the car is, and liking the car because of what the car does for your image.

There's also a difference between being able to buy a car and actually being able to afford the car.

I'll give you an example using my old subdivision. In 1997, when I built that house, it was brand new in a nice neighborhood. Not "upscale" but nice. And even though the prices weren't very high, everything was shiny and new. In 2003 when the interest rates started to drop, people who used to live in apartments were suddenly able to buy homes. There was a couple who bought an older house down at the end of the block from me. I think they both worked two jobs and just barely pulled together the $1000 or whatever their mortgage was each month. They had 4 cars, 3 of which didn't run. The aggregate value of all four vehicles was probably $1000. They all sat out on the driveway because the garage was packed full of crap. None of them had current tags. The lawn was never mowed. The kids' toys were all over the front yard. The house was in desperate need of paint. The screens in the windows were torn and falling out. Basically, the place looked like complete ****. It looked like the Clampets had moved in. Apparently, after barely making their mortgage payment, there wasn't enough money left for incidental things like watering a lawn, gas for a lawn mower, paint or screens.

So the guy next to them put his house up for sale. The people that bought it moved in like 9 family members (kids, parents, grand parents, great grand parents) so that they could swing the mortgage. That place went to hell in record time, as well. So the guy next to them sold. And so began the ruination of that neighborhood. Obviously, I sold before they destroyed the value of my home and built a new home elsewhere.

The point is, there are people that can afford to buy a house and people that afford to own a house. The same is true of cars. It's not just being able to scrape up the coin for your monthly payment, but actually being able to fix it, clean it, maintain it, keep it safe, buy tires for it, prevent it from leaking all over the parking lot, etc.

When the price on these cars started dropping, people saw them as a car they could make a payment on. But that didn't leave anything left over for maintenance. And the people that don't care about the car itself, but only care about making sure people see them in it, ruin the image of the car. And oftentimes, ruin the car itself.

I am far from a wealthy guy, but I am a car guy. I'd rather buy a $40k car I can afford to take care of than an $80k car I can't. Unfortunately, I think that's becoming a minority view point.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum, I completely understand what you're saying. There's a difference between liking the car because of what the car is, and liking the car because of what the car does for your image.

There's also a difference between being able to buy a car and actually being able to afford the car.

I'll give you an example using my old subdivision. In 1997, when I built that house, it was brand new in a nice neighborhood. Not "upscale" but nice. And even though the prices weren't very high, everything was shiny and new. In 2003 when the interest rates started to drop, people who used to live in apartments were suddenly able to buy homes. There was a couple who bought an older house down at the end of the block from me. I think they both worked two jobs and just barely pulled together the $1000 or whatever their mortgage was each month. They had 4 cars, 3 of which didn't run. The aggregate value of all four vehicles was probably $1000. They all sat out on the driveway because the garage was packed full of crap. None of them had current tags. The lawn was never mowed. The kids' toys were all over the front yard. The house was in desperate need of paint. The screens in the windows were torn and falling out. Basically, the place looked like complete ****. It looked like the Clampets had moved in. Apparently, after barely making their mortgage payment, there wasn't enough money left for incidental things like watering a lawn, gas for a lawn mower, paint or screens.

So the guy next to them put his house up for sale. The people that bought it moved in like 9 family members (kids, parents, grand parents, great grand parents) so that they could swing the mortgage. That place went to hell in record time, as well. So the guy next to them sold. And so began the ruination of that neighborhood. Obviously, I sold before they destroyed the value of my home and built a new home elsewhere.

The point is, there are people that can afford to buy a house and people that afford to own a house. The same is true of cars. It's not just being able to scrape up the coin for your monthly payment, but actually being able to fix it, clean it, maintain it, keep it safe, buy tires for it, prevent it from leaking all over the parking lot, etc.

When the price on these cars started dropping, people saw them as a car they could make a payment on. But that didn't leave anything left over for maintenance. And the people that don't care about the car itself, but only care about making sure people see them in it, ruin the image of the car. And oftentimes, ruin the car itself.

I am far from a wealthy guy, but I am a car guy. I'd rather buy a $40k car I can afford to take care of than an $80k car I can't. Unfortunately, I think that's becoming a minority view point.

You just summarized, mind you, perfectly what I was thinking and couldn't exactly descride. I'm betting this is what Plum was trying to get out as well. Very nicely said, no hurt feelings, but just the truth. Do you agree Plum?