Driving Shoes (What you wearing?)

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a trip planned mid April to Tenn & Nc Mountains and was wondering if I should pickup a set of driving shoes. What brands do you guys use? & how to they fit compared to regular tennis shoes? More unlikely I will have to order them online.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wear piloti

So do I. I even bought them from the same place. They are comfortable enough I often prefer them to other shoes.

I drive on the street with them and for most HPD events. They provide good pedal feedback. If I'm really trying to hotshoe I switch to my driving boots but haven't noticed a difference in performance or feel.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simpson hi-tops. Karting and Viper driving only. My joints need more cushioning for pounding pavement than driving shoes provide.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piloti here as well....a blue and white pair for the Viper and a dark blue pair for the "other" sports car......don't ask. :)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I havn't seen too many driving shoes for women so I wear gforce and simpson's, men's size 6.

In between runs I try to take them off and put something else on because they don't have enough support.

I have heard the piloti's were comfortable, gonna have to check those out.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an old pair simpson. Decided to spruce up with a $200.00 pair of Piloti. I have worn them twice and absolutely hate them. I found them to be wide,stiff ,with little or no pedal feel. They sit in a closet. Size 8.5 US if anyone wants them. I now use alipne star. Slim,supple,great pedal feel but lousy to walk in of course. I carry a pair of sneakers along to put on when out of the car. GTS Bruce

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piloti Speedway. I have very little feeling in my toes and numbness in my feet (peripheral neuropathy); fortunately I find that the Piloti's give me great control for performance driving on the track and twisting mountain roads. On long relaxed cruises I prefer my Reebok classic court shoes - narrow, but not as much so as the driving shoes and the hard soles allow better feel of the pedals than cushioned air/gel shoes

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like others have said, a real driving shoe doesn't have enough support or sole thickness to be walking around pavement, concrete ect. I don't see why you would need them for any kind of street driving anyway.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pumas here. I am 6 ft 4 and were a size 14. Less sole = more leg room. I can't use the dead pedal with regular shoes and my feet sometime graze the brake pedal.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes I wear these...
You must be registered for see images
when I go to work in uniform. Or I wear some Pumas... Pumas have a lot of great shoes under thier "motorsport" catagory.

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This really depends what you want them for. I LOVE my Pumas. The driving shoes are very comfortable but expensive because they have nomex on the inside for fire resistance. Puma makes exact copies of the real driving shoe without the nomex for a fraction of the cost. They are great for street driving and walking around. I would have no problems wearing them all day long. I have tried all the other brands but for my feet the Pumas rule. Great feeling while being comfortable to wear.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like others have said, a real driving shoe doesn't have enough support or sole thickness to be walking around pavement, concrete ect. I don't see why you would need them for any kind of street driving anyway.

I want a pair for the car only. I figure they **** to walk in. Problem I have is I can't use the dead pedal or I'm hitting brake etc. Regular shoes don't seem to work the best for me, was hoping a "driving sytle" shoe would help. I don't need a ******** $400 shoe, just looking for something smaller then a regular tennis shoe. I use to wear indoor soccer shoes, but after years of that they killed my feet. I finally trashed them all but now i wished I would have kept a paif for the car.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnson & Murphy have a ton of different styles and they look very good to wear out anywhere, with any outfit. I wear two or three different styles each week. You don't have to look like a band member of Devo like with other race specific shoes.

Extremely comfortable driving shoes that are narrow where required. They even have driving sandels. Check em' out.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just thinking of this today - and found this thread. I wore my steel toe work boots one day and almost killed myself. There was no pedal feedback and I couldn't tell if my boots were halfway on the brake when pushing the accelerator. I had been using my cheap $20 pair of Converse for driving - they are thin soled and light. Walking any distance in them is torture however and the shoe laces need to be shortened. I found out just how deadly long shoe laces can be when they get hooked around the brake pedal and you can't lift your foot up..... :omg:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm a runner, and wear Asics Gel Kayanos. When they wear out, and I get new pair, the "old" pair (not really old, just too worn for running) gets demoted to gym use, general casual use, and yes, driving the Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang