Is a viper with navigation really a viper???

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 04 it was listed at $65k w/ 1400 miles on it and bone stock. Right next to it was red 05 w/ a Paxton on it w/ 800 miles. It was listed at $58k. Any dealer will tell you stock cars sell higher and faster than modded cars, simply b/c there is the perception that modded cars were probably abused. Whether that perception is actual fact, that is the perception. Also, modded cars have no warranty. MOdded also only usually appeal to Viper faithful. Joe blow off the street will prefer to do his own mods if he does any at all. Some mods cannot be completely reversed.

A 2005 Viper with 800 miles and paxton for $58,000? That is either one hell of a deal and an anomaly or that car was wrecked. A 2005 with 800 miles and paxton will go for more than $65,000 right now. Hell I would even buy it for that price. I stand by my point that mods dont instantly depreciate a car further then stock. Yes there are people who want a stock car but there are also plenty of others who want a well kept, modded car. They are usually a better value since you get the mods at a signifciant discount.

Every system is designed with allowable tolerances. Changing air filters I imagine are w/in those tolerances, but again, there could be side effects such as increased engine wear due to more particles entering the engine, etc. And yes, I have all kinds of ideas about modding my Vipers, but I am willing to accept the consequences especially if they do not affect the handling of the vehicle. I would never mod the wheels b/c I do not like suprises in handling at 150 mph. I would however, mod the engine and other things. I am fully aware of voided warranties and reduced engine life and unpredictable computer and other problems that mods bring, but the benefit to me is worth the costs.

Well then here is a question - why did Dodge make the sidewinder wheels for the copperhead which are lighter then stock but used on the same stock suspension? In addition while i can not recall one incident on this website where someone said that their aftermarket wheels and tires caused any "surprises", concern or even an accident. However there are several incidents reported on this website where a modded power train went south. In fact there was one where an upgraded clutch assembly literally exploded and tore through the firewall and almost took the guys leg off. I saw the car in person. Not pretty. You can ask your Viper Tech. He knows all about it. There is more risk with an engine upgrade (while minimal) then with a wheel and tire change. In fact changing out the stock run flats is in the name of safety.

Smaller wheels and tires result in torque changes to the axle and can cause damage. The sprung and unsprung mass in the cars suspension is tuned so that the wheels move up and down in a certain time frame. Wheels too heavy and the car reacts to slowly, too light and the car reacts too quickly, both are out of the design parameters and the rest of the suspension is taking "inputs" from the modded suspension that are not in sync with how it is tuned to perform, so the remaining suspension does not know how to compensate for this "out of tolerance data". Result? Unpredictability. Now, can you prove that spin outs and cars flipping were not the cause of mods? hmmmm
Whos said anything about smaller wheels and tires? Where are you getting this information from? Damage to the axle? What axle - you mean each rear axle? How so? Come on. See above question about the Sidewinder wheels... Hmmm.

This is getting fun.

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I do. You're the guy that made this comment...

Can't drive fast without ABS and TC huh? Too bad.

When you come to Sebring bring a C6 Z06. It's about the only thing my non-ABS, non-TC 10-year-old ****** can't beat...well that and a few non-TC Vipers.

No I had only done about 6-7 events at the time, so jumping into a viper was in my best interests (common sense). Now that I have gotten some time under my belt, I can handle whatever.

LOL, I highlighted the only thing in the last part of your post that matters to me, you'd be surprised at what can come out of the ole shed and spank you. But I havent driven Sebring before so I know when not to bark up the wrong tree, but dont be surprised. If you come to Road Atlanta, it's in my back yard and you'll be sure to second guess your statement.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 04 it was listed at $65k w/ 1400 miles on it and bone stock. Right next to it was red 05 w/ a Paxton on it w/ 800 miles. It was listed at $58k. Any dealer will tell you stock cars sell higher and faster than modded cars, simply b/c there is the perception that modded cars were probably abused. Whether that perception is actual fact, that is the perception. Also, modded cars have no warranty. MOdded also only usually appeal to Viper faithful. Joe blow off the street will prefer to do his own mods if he does any at all. Some mods cannot be completely reversed.

A 2005 Viper with 800 miles and paxton for $58,000? That is either one hell of a deal and an anomaly or that car was wrecked. A 2005 with 800 miles and paxton will go for more than $65,000 right now. Hell I would even buy it for that price. I stand by my point that mods dont instantly depreciate a car further then stock. Yes there are people who want a stock car but there are also plenty of others who want a well kept, modded car. They are usually a better value since you get the mods at a signifciant discount. Call JD at World Class Auto in Woodbury, NY, where I bought my 04, he will tell you all about the red 05 w/ the Paxton on it.

http://www.worldclassautoonline.com/

Not only was it cheaper, he said I would be nuts to buy it. It had 850 hp (flywheel), that was cool. But the fact that is was modded, was not. He said he would be lucky to get $55k for it.

Every system is designed with allowable tolerances. Changing air filters I imagine are w/in those tolerances, but again, there could be side effects such as increased engine wear due to more particles entering the engine, etc. And yes, I have all kinds of ideas about modding my Vipers, but I am willing to accept the consequences especially if they do not affect the handling of the vehicle. I would never mod the wheels b/c I do not like suprises in handling at 150 mph. I would however, mod the engine and other things. I am fully aware of voided warranties and reduced engine life and unpredictable computer and other problems that mods bring, but the benefit to me is worth the costs.

Well then here is a question - why did Dodge make the sidewinder wheels for the copperhead which are lighter then stock but used on the same stock suspension? In addition while i can not recall one incident on this website where someone said that their aftermarket wheels and tires caused any "surprises", concern or even an accident. However there are several incidents reported on this website where a modded power train went south. In fact there was one where an upgraded clutch assembly literally exploded and tore through the firewall and almost took the guys leg off. I saw the car in person. Not pretty. You can ask your Viper Tech. He knows all about it. There is more risk with an engine upgrade (while minimal) then with a wheel and tire change. In fact changing out the stock run flats is in the name of safety.
One or two things: Either the copperheads have a re-tuned suspension or the sidewinders fall w/in tolerance...which I doubt. I think the suspension is probably tweaked a little for the sidewinders. And yes I know all about the flywheel coming thru the firewall, which is why I will never go w/ the lighter flywheel...another example of people doing things to the car it was never designed for.

Smaller wheels and tires result in torque changes to the axle and can cause damage. The sprung and unsprung mass in the cars suspension is tuned so that the wheels move up and down in a certain time frame. Wheels too heavy and the car reacts to slowly, too light and the car reacts too quickly, both are out of the design parameters and the rest of the suspension is taking "inputs" from the modded suspension that are not in sync with how it is tuned to perform, so the remaining suspension does not know how to compensate for this "out of tolerance data". Result? Unpredictability. Now, can you prove that spin outs and cars flipping were not the cause of mods? hmmmm
Whos said anything about smaller wheels and tires? Where are you getting this information from? Damage to the axle? What axle - you mean each rear axle? How so? Come on. See above question about the Sidewinder wheels... Hmmm.
Many of the aftermarket wheels/rims/tires are not the same diameter as our stock wheel/tires. Either you change the change the diameter of the entire tire, thereby changing (and stressing) your gearing, or you change the tire wall height, changing the handling of the vehicle.

This is getting fun.
I agree, this is a ball!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting a bit off topic, perhaps for the right reasons. I agree with the Tampa Terror in general, but not specifically with a Nav radio option. Part of the attraction of the Viper IS its raw nature. It require 2 hands and serious concentration even on the street. It's a "DRIVER'S" car. I don't agree that a Nav. radio option makes it any less of a Viper. I draw the line at "driving,", i.e., does the option change the "driving" style of the car. Nav. does not. TC does. JMHO.

Scott, where ya been?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I had only done about 6-7 events at the time, so jumping into a viper was in my best interests (common sense). Now that I have gotten some time under my belt, I can handle whatever.

LOL, I highlighted the only thing in the last part of your post that matters to me, you'd be surprised at what can come out of the ole shed and spank you. But I havent driven Sebring before so I know when not to bark up the wrong tree, but dont be surprised. If you come to Road Atlanta, it's in my back yard and you'll be sure to second guess your statement.

I did Road Atlanta back in 2000 and I admit, it is a butt pucker. Lotsa danger. Would love to make it up that way again sometime.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car that you claim was for sale is no longer there and if it was for sale for $58,000, in great shape, Paxton included, and only had 800 miles, you myfirend lost out on a great value purchase, expecially since you are looking to extensively upgrade the horsepower in yours. I would have bought it and turned around a sold it and made a ton of cash. I dont think it is worth taking this part of the conversation any further.

If i remember correctly it was the clutch that exploded, not the flywheel.

As for the Copperhead, I am willing to be a large amount of money that the suspension is the standard suspension and is in no way different.

Lastly - you brought up axles before with no reply and now you mention "changing and stressing your gearing" which makes absolutely no sense at all.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah they elimanted it to try and level the playing field so smaller teams with more shallow pockets might be competitve and reduce the the dominance by 2 or 3 teams(didn't ABS go away in F1 also or is that coming soon too?). They are also trying to reduce the cost of the cars so the cars development/technology costs arent so great, part of the arguement they used to explain the switch to V8 power.

Last edited:

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my 06 coupe has factory nav....
id post a pic but the file is too large.
still a viper to me, and i like how my dash looks.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have navigation in my viper and it is great. For example, I just got back from a 6000 mile trip to Canada and back home along the Coast Hyway(#1). It is really nice in the middle of the night to find a bed and breakfast in the middle of nowhere Oregon and have the navigation find it for you and not spend hours getting lost.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not after this year they wont. Does that tell you anything?

It tells me F1 is stepping up their game, these are PROFESSIONAL RACE DRIVERS, THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!! And yet they have even had TC for a long time now.

But of course you are better than they are so you would never need it :rolleyes: .

I too am glad TC is going away, more mistakes, more passing, more excitement, right now qualifying is the best part of the races. TC was brought in after all the deaths happened, the cars were just to fast and dangerous. Unfortunately TC wont help the smaller teams at all, unless they can buy better drivers.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It tells me F1 is stepping up their game, these are PROFESSIONAL RACE DRIVERS, THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!! And yet they have even had TC for a long time now.

But of course you are better than they are so you would never need it :rolleyes: .

You just don't "get" it do you? There are Vettes, Porsches, Ferraris, etc to choose from with all those bells and whistles to mask your lack of driving skills but that isn't good enough for you. You want the only purist car on the market - a Viper, to be cluttered with all that crap too.

Get your Z06, Ferrari or your Porsche GT (oh wait, Porsche GTs don't have TC, imagine that, ok maybe a Porsche 997...oops, 997s don't have ABS, hmm) or whatever and spank me all day at the track if you want...or can. I don't care. I'm still driving Vipers because they are the funnest car to drive, not because they are the easiest.

Now go get another Vette, track it and have all the fun you want.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car that you claim was for sale is no longer there and if it was for sale for $58,000, in great shape, Paxton included, and only had 800 miles, you myfirend lost out on a great value purchase, expecially since you are looking to extensively upgrade the horsepower in yours. I would have bought it and turned around a sold it and made a ton of cash. I dont think it is worth taking this part of the conversation any further. I am not a car salesman, I will leave that up to them. That is what they do, and they are the ones that know that market.

If i remember correctly it was the clutch that exploded, not the flywheel. I didnt say the flywheel exploded. I just remember my Viper tech telling me that the flywheel shot thru the car and almost severed the guys foot.

As for the Copperhead, I am willing to be a large amount of money that the suspension is the standard suspension and is in no way different. Either the suspension is retuned or the lighter wheels are w/in tolerance. I will take that bet with you. You name the price, doesnt matter.

Lastly - you brought up axles before with no reply and now you mention "changing and stressing your gearing" which makes absolutely no sense at all.
I dont reply to people who are not engineers and that dont understand engineering. It is a waste of time.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you never seem to answer a question or a comment directly. From the comments about cars flipping, axle issues, to gear issues, now the value and price of the paxton car. Why you wouldnt buy or even seriously consider a car that was $7,000 less then your completely stock Mamba (at the time), one year newer, 850 miles on it and came with a paxton installed is beyond me." Granted i am a Mamba fan but that car, if the price is correct, it is bargain. The fact that you didnt even consider it is odd especially with your thirst for high horspower. Your modded car value idea is rediculous.

I am no engineer by any means, however I will say that you are wrong on most if not all you have mentioned and it isnt the first time. For fun I will check regarding the Coppperhead suspension. The betting thing is now meaningless since money is no object to you i guess.

It was fun though. Good luck on the engine build and your Mamba. Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If i remember correctly it was the clutch that exploded, not the flywheel.

Are you guys talking about the Viper that Chuck showed us at his tech session last fall? The one where the ceramic clutch shattered and sent shrapnel through the cockpit, lopped off part of the engine block and whose driver's leg was saved by a 1" rod behind the firewall? Here's a link to tjhe pics of that carnage...scroll past Phil and the deviled eggs pics. :D

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL....... that is all I can say......LOL

FYI F1 cars have TC (I.E. The best drivers in the world) I guess they shouldnt be driving either?????

same dumb argument on a different thread. Vipers are NOT f1. Many Mitsubishi cars and SUVs offer paddles and tc. Why dont you site that as an example? Or why not insist vipers become open-wheeled cars? I mean of f1 does it... :rolleyes:

Viper has a personality... Why try so hard to make it into a different car? Buy the car that reflects you... Dont insist a car BECOME you... Unless ur just trying to be someone ur not without having to pay your dues.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same dumb argument on a different thread. Vipers are NOT f1. Many Mitsubishi cars and SUVs offer paddles and tc. Why dont you site that as an example? Or why not insist vipers become open-wheeled cars? I mean of f1 does it... :rolleyes:

Viper has a personality... Why try so hard to make it into a different car? Buy the car that reflects you... Dont insist a car BECOME you... Unless ur just trying to be someone ur not without having to pay your dues.

AMEN!!!!!:2tu:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well maybe becasue mitsu's and SUV's dont have 600 hp!!!!!!!! Use a little comprehension please.

I'm not insisting anything, I just said it would be useful for some people, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT seems to think so as well, go argue with them!!!!

Get over it already, your probably a grandpa driver (I mean purist) anyways that doesnt even use the cars full capabilities, car makers have to design a car to be able to be handled at it's full capacity of performance, that means all 500, 600 ponies, and for 95% of drivers that means it will need TC. Paddles dont have a thing to do with safety. When you can stop young idiots from buying these cars and killing themselves and other people then I'll say the viper doesnt need TC, but until then you go on thinking about no one but yourself, and I'll stick with the GOVERMENT.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well maybe becasue mitsu's and SUV's dont have 600 hp!!!!!!!! Use a little comprehension please.

...and F1's have +700hp at ***19,000rpm***!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

F1 cars are open-wheeled, open top, ONE-seater vehicles that weigh less than a loaf of bread with a power/weight ratio that makes the Viper look like a Mac truck MORE than a Viper overshadows a Mitsubishi (have you SEEN what an EVO can do stock?). They also aren't streetable and require millions of dollars to run on a well prepared track.

You can't compare apples to oranges and then pick and choose different attributes to win a losing argument. If a Viper MUST have TC because F1 has TC, then why not follow that flawed logic and insist the Viper be a one-seater, open-wheeled, open top car? Heck, Just slap a Viper emblem on an F1 car and call it a day. :slap:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and F1's have +700hp at ***19,000rpm***!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

F1 cars are open-wheeled, open top, ONE-seater vehicles that weigh less than a loaf of bread with a power/weight ratio that makes the Viper look like a Mac truck MORE than a Viper overshadows a Mitsubishi (have you SEEN what an EVO can do stock?). They also aren't streetable and require millions of dollars to run on a well prepared track.

You can't compare apples to oranges and then pick and choose different attributes to win a losing argument. If a Viper MUST have TC because F1 has TC, then why not follow that flawed logic and insist the Viper be a one-seater, open-wheeled, open top car? Heck, Just slap a Viper emblem on an F1 car and call it a day. :slap:

Man you just dont get it do you???

And F1 is much more of a handful than a Viper, but the driver is also much more skilled than a viper driver (unless he drives F1), so for your everyday street driver, the difficulty of driving a viper is relative to the difficulty for the F1 guy to pilot the F1 car.

EVO's have AWD, DOES NOT COMPARE TO A VIPER AT ALL. What does the money invested have to do with anything??? Im not going to go back and forth with you over every aspect of the car, if you cant figure out what I'm getting at, you can retry grade school.

OP
OP
S

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not insisting anything, I just said it would be useful for some people, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT seems to think so as well, go argue with them!!!!

Get over it already, your probably a grandpa driver (I mean purist) anyways that doesnt even use the cars full capabilities, car makers have to design a car to be able to be handled at it's full capacity of performance, that means all 500, 600 ponies, and for 95% of drivers that means it will need TC. Paddles dont have a thing to do with safety. When you can stop young idiots from buying these cars and killing themselves and other people then I'll say the viper doesnt need TC, but until then you go on thinking about no one but yourself, and I'll stick with the GOVERMENT.

and your probly the worst driver in the world but the viper is so amazing you want to be able to drive it because you probly cant handle a car made without TC. If you really track a car like you said youve been to road atlanta :rolleyes: you would already know that without tration control makes a car go quicker lap times (if your a good driver) and is funner. A viper is a big boy car if you cant handle it buy a z06

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man you just dont get it do you???

And F1 is much more of a handful than a Viper, but the driver is also much more skilled than a viper driver (unless he drives F1), so for your everyday street driver, the difficulty of driving a viper is relative to the difficulty for the F1 guy to pilot the F1 car.

EVO's have AWD, DOES NOT COMPARE TO A VIPER AT ALL. What does the money invested have to do with anything??? Im not going to go back and forth with you over every aspect of the car, if you cant figure out what I'm getting at, you can retry grade school.
You're making all of my points while refuting your own points and you don't even know it. Funny that.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah. The Federal Government always knows what they're doing.

Look, we're all sorry you don't have the skills to drive a Viper but that's just the way it is. Life isn't fair sometimes. The important thing is that you go to the track and enjoy whatever you drive. Or better yet, maybe you should get an Xbox.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if this thread is a perfect example of how evolution works. It started with a simple question of a bell & whistle item like nav on a Viper. Is it for the Viper or not? Now, for several pages, its been nothing but ***** slapping about TC and you can't drive and how grampa could do this and that.

Kind of like man crawling back into his cave as an ape. :mf:

Isn't that un-evolution or something?

Oh well, it's what real men do.

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going High Tech with a Viper is just evolution. What makes a car less of a Viper? I would have to say anything that takes away from the car's ability to be fast and loud. That is pretty much the crux of it. If it has tons of power and shake's the earth when it comes rolling in then you can have all the dishwasher's and blender's on board and it will still be a Viper.
Personally, I think Traction Control, as long as it can be toggled on and off is a good thing.
Yes this can take some of the fun out of driving it, but for some it would vastly improve their speed/times. I am more concerned with the Viper's reputation as being a supercar that is a beast.
So anything that makes the car go faster, increases safety and makes the car closer to a Ferrari Enzo is a good thing! (ok paddle shifters should be an option, most dont want them).

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going back to my statement about the stupid, (GOVERNMENT) protecting the stupid, (bluestreak).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21