Skip shift eliminator for 2008?

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The skip shift thing is driving me nuts. Mostly out of force of habit from driving my other car which has shorter gears, I sometimes try to shift into second fairly early and get locked out of 2nd gear. Coasting through an intersection isn't the greatest of ideas and of course 4th would lug like crazy.

From a bit of searching, it seems that gen 1, 2, and 3 can use http://www.viperpartsrack.com/skip-shift-eliminator but gen 4's will throw an error code. Is this the case? Isn't there anything I can do to safely kill the damn thing?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a skip shift eliminator from SnakeOyl about ten days after I got the car and works pefectly, no lights at all.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The PartsRack website clearly indicates it won't work on the Gen IV due to the "drive by wire" throttle setup. Can anyone confirm this? Would sure love to install it on my 2008 if it wouldn't throw a code/light.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The PartsRack website clearly indicates it won't work on the Gen IV due to the "drive by wire" throttle setup. Can anyone confirm this? Would sure love to install it on my 2008 if it wouldn't throw a code/light.

I can positively confirm the skip shift will not work on a 2010 Gen IV. It will set a code. (P080B if I remember correctly)
A VCA member who's company manufactures skip shift eliminators is working on a version that will work on a Gen IV. I anticipate testing it on my Gen IV in the near future. I will post the results.

Last edited:

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is some bad information in this thread. Here are the facts:

A plug/socket set that allows you to unplug the harness connecting to the transmission for the lockout solenoid AKA "skip shift eliminator" does work on model year 2008 Vipers. This will not work on 2009-2010 Vipers (it will throw codes after a few cycles). The later years need the PCM change.
As a matter of fact I reused the skip shift eliminator plug set from my last Corvette in my 2008 Viper so they are equivalent.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I asked my Vette mechanic about skip shift eliminators years ago, he said I wasn't driving the car right. He told me to stop driving like a p***y. Since then, I haven't had any problems with skip shift (on Vettes or Vipers). :)

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I asked my Vette mechanic about skip shift eliminators years ago, he said I wasn't driving the car right. He told me to stop driving like a p***y. Since then, I haven't had any problems with skip shift (on Vettes or Vipers). :)

When I first got my car, I bought the eliminator within maybe a week or 2 of ownership. Since then, I really found out my particular driving style that I shift 1-2 over 2000 rpm anyway. The shift skip has caught me maybe 2 or 3 times TOTAL in over a year of ownership.

Anyway, I have a gen 3 eliminator that I will send out for free if anyone wants, just send me a pm.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently emailed SnakeOyl Products regarding the suitability of their skip shift eliminator for my 2008 ACR and rec'd a nice email reply from Kurtis Anderson, Mktg. Director for SnakeOyl. He is checking with his "computer friends" at SRT to see what he can find out. He indicated they have used their eliminator on Gen IV's without a problem they are aware of if I read his comments accurately. I will post again once I hear back from Mr. Anderson. Regarding shifting like a "p-ssy" as indicated in some of the posts, I guess I am guilty of that on occasion. It would just be nice to not even have to be concerned about getting caught in that situation in the middle of an intersection or whatever.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently emailed SnakeOyl Products regarding the suitability of their skip shift eliminator for my 2008 ACR and rec'd a nice email reply from Kurtis Anderson, Mktg. Director for SnakeOyl. He is checking with his "computer friends" at SRT to see what he can find out. He indicated they have used their eliminator on Gen IV's without a problem they are aware of if I read his comments accurately. I will post again once I hear back from Mr. Anderson. Regarding shifting like a "p-ssy" as indicated in some of the posts, I guess I am guilty of that on occasion. It would just be nice to not even have to be concerned about getting caught in that situation in the middle of an intersection or whatever.

Very interested in if this will work for an 08. I can never tell when the skip shift will hit.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I installed these on several 08's and eventually had a check engine light. Stop using them after that so I cannot comment on the later models.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a good chance that the skip shift eliminators are not all created equal (besides the fact that the form factor is the same). I'm pretty sure that the one I use has a built-in resistor so the PCM still thinks it's plugged into the transmission. No codes for me!

The driving style comment is BS in my opinion. If you actually drive the car in real world traffic situations, you will eventually get a 2nd gear lockout. Also, it usually occurs at the worst possible time.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've actually trained myself to go into 3rd when feelling the lockout.

StyVip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you tap the shifter into 4th gate quickly (not shifted all the way) it will go into two at any rpm. Takes some training but its has worked for me without fault. If i feel the skip shift slide over to 4 I just barley tap the top of the gate and move back over into two. Simulates a 4-2 down shift.

ZoTurbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was anyone able to confirm if a SSE would work on a 2008 Viper w/out driving the PCM nuts?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was anyone able to confirm if a SSE would work on a 2008 Viper w/out driving the PCM nuts?
I purchased the SSE from:
http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product_p/izm993.htm
$20.

That particular SSE worked perfectly the last (almost) 1000 miles on my 2008 Aero Coupe.
Zero codes, but the little "SHIFT! BECAUSE WE'RE THE GOVT. AND WE'RE HERE TO HELP!" light still comes on. :D

In response to the 'driving like a pu**y', I beg to differ.
That person obviously has never had a semi behind them trying to "time" the stop light you're stopped at. When you launch and try to get into 2nd to **** of the way, and the skip shift kicks in and almost stalls the car with 60,000 to 80,000 lbs. of mass coming at you at 45mph, the stain in your shorts will verify the need for a SSE.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave