Viper Owner
Reaction score
2006 FE
Motons
800 fronts/1000 rears
APR aero
345 Hoosier R6's in back
295 Hoosier R6's in front

I track the car pretty hard. With 295's it under steers but I like it that way. What I notice in these pics, and in driving, is the body sway.

Will going to beefier bars make a noticeable difference?

I think I already need to bump up my spring rates as well. Coming out of the carousel at Road America, there is a slight dip in the track. Hitting that dip at 9/10th's the back left wheel bottoms out in the wheel well. :( Perhaps beefier sway bars will help reduce this and allow me to run the current spring rates?

Here are the pics:

The whole album:
Road America 10-16-2010 - a set on Flickr

Ugly body roll
You must be registered for see images

Traffic

Snakes and Stripes

What most people see

More snakes

2:2x's with Mitch

Some of RA's rumbles I like

Burp

Splitter deflection (~140-160mph probably)

Scenic

Reaction score
The body roll is not bad at all, it has to have some movement to actually work. I would guess that the rear ride height is not anywhere near correct and the rear is bottoming because it it too low. Looks cool like mine, but at $500 plus a corner the inner fenders will be gone fast at this height.

The Viper likes about .75" - 1.3" of rake front to rear for proper rotation at slower speeds and with the aero you have the upper end is more common. Also with the rates you have front to rear the wheel rates you have are only about 50# difference front to rear, not enough to combat the under steer you have. You will have more mechanical grip with less front rate, this will require proper shock settings to fight the floaty feeling they also come with.

just my 2 cents though

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark, thanks for the reply.

I don't think the car has that much rake. I don't have my setup sheet handy to check though. I'll have the car re-setup though before I take it back out with a rake closer to what you said. I expect that this will shift the balance of weight more toward the front of the car while on the pads.

Regarding spring rates, I'd rather add a stiffer rear spring than a softer front spring. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Boy I don't know, the rears as they get stiffer can really cause the car to become "unforgiving" I think. If you are really on your toes maybe this will work. Even so you need to up the rear rake and change the roll center to get the suspension to work back there. If you are not getting some transfer the rear end just gets skittish and you are depending entirely on the sidewall of the tire for usable spring rate because the rest of the "suspension" is not moving.

There is about 850# per corner and is you have max transfer that is only about 1600# so any other lesser motion will produce 0 suspension compliance and the air pressure in the rear tire will be the determining factor in how the car handles. Why not have the suspension working instead? People on here may have different opinions, but I have tried lots of spring combos on mine and feel that some compliance is better overall for fast times and forgiveness at the limit. ;):eater:

Mark, thanks for the reply.

I don't think the car has that much rake. I don't have my setup sheet handy to check though. I'll have the car re-setup though before I take it back out with a rake closer to what you said. I expect that this will shift the balance of weight more toward the front of the car while on the pads.

Regarding spring rates, I'd rather add a stiffer rear spring than a softer front spring. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GREAT pics! Who takes those? You've always posted some cool track pics. I like the shot with the flames coming out of the side. Thanks for sharing.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road America is one place I would definately want the suspension to be working. With 295's, you are giving up braking as well as turn-in response.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Austin, Thanks! These were taken by Sideline Sports Photography, LLC. Other pics of mine were taken by friends and spectators.

Boxer, turn is is definitely not very crisp. I've gotten the car down to a 2:28.0 in traffic, and prob 2:25's in the clean at Road America with the current setup. I like pushing out to track out though vs sliding my 3800# expensive hunk of metal through the apex, lol.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin, Thanks! These were taken by Sideline Sports Photography, LLC. Other pics of mine were taken by friends and spectators.

Boxer, turn is is definitely not very crisp. I've gotten the car down to a 2:28.0 in traffic, and prob 2:25's in the clean at Road America with the current setup. I like pushing out to track out though vs sliding my 3800# expensive hunk of metal through the apex, lol.

You're welcome. I checked out your other pic sets while at the R of A link you posted. I thought it looke like you traded out your SSR wheels. I really like your new OZ wheels from PartsRack. They look really aggressive and remind me on an 18 inch Razor wheel. Very nice! Your SRT is one of my faves by far.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS-I think that the ACR has CC or the equivalent sway bars. The Gen 3 suspension is prob not designed for R compound tires. I would try a set of the CC bars.

One more thought...do you have a good race seat? That will make a big difference if you 'feel' like the car is rolling too much. A lot of that is in the plush OEM seats.

You should post up some pics with the other ACR's (let's call 'ACR' the Aero Coupe Racers) in this thread--
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/630568-acr-track-pics-4.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading the bars.

I'm running the Cobra Suzuka S seat. I LOVE the seat. I did have to trim the left shoulder flare down just a pinch, but the seat holds me in perfectly, and its very comfortable.

I have no carpet in the car, and one thing I notice is I need to have a fake floor installed as my feet are just a little bit too low on the pedals.

I'm 6' 2" 175 lb.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I agree with Mark. If that wing is producing downforce, you need the rear up @ 1 inch higher than the front. Aero will compress the springs to the point that they are no longer working as designed. Too stiff a spring can cause a whole new set of problems. I would look at the specs of an ACR and go that route-assuming your Areo works as well. But even my ACR sits higher up at speed.I would run a 305 in front if it clears with the Hoosiers. I think I would raise the car all around and give it a try before you start spending money chasing your tail...just my two cents too. Brian

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PS-I think that the ACR has CC or the equivalent sway bars. The Gen 3 suspension is prob not designed for R compound tires. I would try a set of the CC bars.
QUOTE]

That's a good advise because I was having the same thing on mine, but of course I have complete stock suspension.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the 03-06 had hollow sway bars. 08 plus front solid rear hollow and ACR both solid? I think I read that I on this forum when the ACR came out. Can someone confirm? I was thinking of upgrading front swaybar to the solid one used in the 08 plus but cant seen to figure out part numbers.

One more thought...do you have a good race seat? That will make a big difference if you 'feel' like the car is rolling too much. A lot of that is in the plush OEM seats.

You should post up some pics with the other ACR's (let's call 'ACR' the Aero Coupe Racers) in this thread--
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/630568-acr-track-pics-4.html

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Obviously I agree with my good buddy Mark, and if you are turning those types of times, you aren't doing too much wrong --- get down to the 2:25s and that is pretty stellar for your car and set-up.

Like everyone else , love the pics!!!:drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude