What's a good tar remover?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used the Turtle wax bug and tar remover but I didn't like how thick it was. I now use the Tarminator in a spray can but it doesn't do anything to the tar. It just sits undissolved and I basically have to scrub it off.

What do you guys use?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had good experience with Meguiars bug & tar remover, it's a milky substance that comes in a bottle. Still requires some slight scrubbing but it does the job very well.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old formula WD-40 works best, but the new stuff still works well.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The road tar around these parts is like epoxy. I find the 3M stuff works incredibly well. It requires a lot less scrubbing but will take off wax but is safe on the clear coat. If you use the 3M stuff, wash and re-wax the area you're working on.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The road tar around these parts is like epoxy.

Propane torch and putty knife here on those behind the wheel panels. I think the Texas hot topping cocktail is king of the hill! Solvent removal? Shi..........

Seriously though, most road tars are oil based. And are dissolved with some type of hydrocarbon solvent. WD40 is mostly mineral spirits which is why it works well. And what they changed on it was switching the propellant from propane to carbon dioxide. Thank Al Gore!

Anyway, most solvents also remove waxes.

So there's going to be a balance between how well your remover is going to work, and if there's a follow up step like re-waxing.

I'd rather have the tar come right off with a quick wipe, and slap a quick coat of wax back on, than scrub and scratch the paint with some crap that don't work.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Propane torch and putty knife here on those behind the wheel panels. I think the Texas hot topping cocktail is king of the hill! Solvent removal? Shi..........

LOL!!! :lmao: We need to create a special forum just for you Dave where you can make us laugh about day to day stuff :D I'm still laughing at this one :rolaugh:

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I always use baby oil to remove tar, works great amd won't harm your paint. Just put some on a soft cloth, rub a few times and watch the tar disolve.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seriously though, most road tars are oil based. And are dissolved with some type of hydrocarbon solvent. WD40 is mostly mineral spirits which is why it works well. And what they changed on it was switching the propellant from propane to carbon dioxide. Thank Al Gore!

So there's going to be a balance between how well your remover is going to work, and if there's a follow up step like re-waxing.

I'd rather have the tar come right off with a quick wipe, and slap a quick coat of wax back on, than scrub and scratch the paint with some crap that don't work.

No wonder it does'nt work very good as a blow torch anymore. It used to be my favorite black widow killer.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 3M stuff is not crap...I don't recommend crap. If the tar is not coming off easily then the wax is already gone. I simply spray the 3M adhesive remover, let it sit for a few minutes then use super soft microfiber towl and wipe off the tar fairly quickly. No scratches, no swirls. I've used the 3M stuff on my cars over the last 7 years or so and I love it. When the wax is gone, the tar is a PITA to remove and the 3M works great. Time to re-wax anyway at this point. The 3M product works great for me and that's all that matters. :) You'll find it cheaper at NAPA or some of the local auto parts stores. If you want crap...try Maguiar's Body Solvent. I went through an entire gallon of it trying to remove tar from the Viper and it didn't do anything other than piss me off. I returned the empty gallon to Pep Boy's for a refund. Come to think of it...that location closed down shortly after.

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used some of those orange cleaners...worked pretty good, but usually go back to WD-40.

I also use it to blacken up my wheel wells. Makes them easier to clean up next time too.