H/F cat install question

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the hardest, most difficult, don't even try it area, how hard is it to install high flow cats as a DIY project? Can it be done using jack stands or do I need to have a lift? I have pretty good mechanical skills and a whole shop of tools, just not a lift if it is required.:dunno:

I looked in the "how to" section and didn't see anything on the subject for Gen III owners.

Thanks

Reaction score
Slip fit cats will be a 2 and you would still need to do some cutting. To do the weld in process it is a 4 because you have to weld them very straight to get the cat back to fit correctly when you are done.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you use a direct replacement high flow cat from Random Cat or ROE ( which have flex pipes ) it could be done on jack stands but the money spent to use a local shops lift and their tech would be money well spent. I would rate the job for a DIY at a 3.5.

ROE G3CAT
STAINLESS STEEL CAT SET, 2-1/2" OUTLET, CERAMIC SUBSTRATE, WITH FLEX CONNECTION

ROE G3CAT
STAINLESS STEEL CAT SET, 3" OUTLET, CERAMIC SUBSTRATE, WITH FLEX CONNECTION

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our RT SRT HF cats are a direct bolt in. EZ.

2 substrate options. 2 outlet sizes for exhasut options

From under $599/pr !

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, this past weekend I put the car on stands and did the cats and exhaust. Hardest part was getting the old exhaust off. I busted out the sawzall and that did the trick.
I lined up the tips as far forward as I could with the "direct bolt on" cats. The tips were sitting toward the center rear of the opening. I ran the car for a few hours and they have expanded and now are very close to the rear opening. I don't want the exhaust heat to peel the paint so looks like I will have to take side sills off again and cut the pipe back on the cats to allow the exhaust tips to slide further toward the front of the side opening, allowing them to expand without touching the car sides.
Other than that, I love the sound of the Corsa exhaust.:headbang:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, this past weekend I put the car on stands and did the cats and exhaust. Hardest part was getting the old exhaust off. I busted out the sawzall and that did the trick.
I lined up the tips as far forward as I could with the "direct bolt on" cats. The tips were sitting toward the center rear of the opening. I ran the car for a few hours and they have expanded and now are very close to the rear opening. I don't want the exhaust heat to peel the paint so looks like I will have to take side sills off again and cut the pipe back on the cats to allow the exhaust tips to slide further toward the front of the side opening, allowing them to expand without touching the car sides.

MC: Glad you like the Corsa, and THANKS for your biz............hows the COOLER COCKPIT in the TX heat?

ps The Corsa instructions mention FORWARD OF CENTER as Naders photo shows below. The system PLUMPS WHEN YOU COOK IT!

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alignment is not easy so be careful. Also make sure they are not set too far back. I had problems with the paint burning and found a solution that also looks great.

SideSill6.jpg

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alignment is not easy so be careful. Also make sure they are not set too far back. I had problems with the paint burning and found a solution that also looks great.

SideSill6.jpg

Nader
It was one of your post on another thread that reminded me to get them moved up as far as I could because of the heat. I'm going to have to cut about an inch off the cats to get them moved up where they need to be. The whole system moved back about 3/4 of an inch.

JonB
Much cooler in the cabin. Thanks.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you Adjust Rear Edge Of Exhaust Tip, 64' Cold & 64-1/2" Hot, from the Metal Wheel Inner Fender Support By Front Cat you will be pretty close.:2tu:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had just a small area of burnt paint on my 03 so i use the trim rings

v2.JPG

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is recommended by the Dodge service manual that you replace the V-Band clamp on the top of the cat if you are replacing the whole elbow cat (Random Technology Cat) The clamp is pricey and a pain in the *** to tighten down. But considering it is a one time deal unless you like taking the side sills off again and again

Glenn.......

OP
OP
V

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is recommended by the Dodge service manual that you replace the V-Band clamp on the top of the cat if you are replacing the whole elbow cat (Random Technology Cat) The clamp is pricey and a pain in the *** to tighten down. But considering it is a one time deal unless you like taking the side sills off again and again

Glenn.......

Instructions with the cats say to remove the clamp with great care and use it again. It was pretty easy to get to and wasn't that hard to get off and then tighten up again. You can get to the clamp from under the car without removing the side sills.

I got the pipes lined up now after removing the driver side sill and cutting about 1-1/2" off the cat pipe. Looks and sounds great!:2tu:

Now on to the next mod..:D

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to agree with "VicTxV10" above. We have never had to replace the clamps with new ones. just be careful and take your time. They will come off and they can be reused.